Motorcycle track day with Jason, Jody, Todd and our new friend Ben

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:11 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Bojan,

I would strongly encourage you to take a MSF (www.msf-usa.org) course first before you even think about buying a bike. Get yourself a permit, take the MSF course and then get a license. After you do all that then go out and get a 600 class bike. Don't make the same mistake that I did and get a R1. I totalled it after only 5 months.

Not a fun experience but I learned a valuable lesson from that and now I tell everyone who shows even a remote interest to go out and take a MSF course first before doing anything else.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Seattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you J&J,

I agree, I have to take the class first.. and thats what I intended on doing before even purchasing a bike. Question is which school is the best, since their are so many to choose from. I'll give Eastside Motorsports a call. I'll be gone for the month of June.., but will look for something in July.

Jodi..... you should take the class with me! In fact, you are the scheduling queen, how about we get a group of people that are potentially interested... what do you think?

And Jason.., I'm reading people saying to start on a 250cc or 500cc and that the 600 and above are too dangerous for the newbie. But I feel that the 600 is good balance between learning and not too quickly outgrowing the bike. A bike is a bike.. sorta. I mean, learning to turn, avoiding obstacles on the street, intersections etc.. are more dangerous than the actual strength of the bike. I'm sure the bigger the engine, the harder to maneuver. But I'm pretty headstrong, so I believe I will respect the strength of the bike. But ultimately, what do you think? Is a 600cc the way to go?

Thanks guys.. I'm excited. Damn that Ben guy and his European biking... I'll make that a mini goal for next year!! Anyone care to join?

-Bojan

Old 05-22-2008, 11:48 AM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
bojan,

i believe when you take the class, they have bikes that you can ride while you are learning. i don't want to take todd's and dump it over on it's side! lol! but i think the cc's are pretty low on the bikes they have. todd's first bike was a 600 and he's very glad that he got it. he didn't want buy a lesser cc, keep it for a month, and then wish he had just bought the 600. i think it's all about past riding experience as well. he had been on other 600's before so he was pretty comfortable about what he was getting into.

do this...sign up for the class....talk to the instructors...and based on your comfort level and skill, they can suggest a cc size for you. how bout that?

ya, i should really do it as well! then you guys will create a monster and i'll run out, buy one and paint it pink with white flames! lol!

Old 05-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Seattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BoxsterGirlie01
ya, i should really do it as well! then you guys will create a monster and i'll run out, buy one and paint it pink with white flames! lol!
Figures.... hahahaha

I called Eastside.. apparently they don't offer classes, they just provide the bikes. Maybe she got confused on the phone. Anyways, they directed me to Jason's website that he posted. Oh well.. I'll figure it out.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:10 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
hmm..that's interesting . todd signed up for his track day with eastside motorsports. they even had a driver's educational meeting downstairs. and they sent him a letter after the track day to see if he enjoyed the day.

try this...go to their website and email mike tobin. he's who i spoke with and he'll help you. <A href="mailto:Mike%20Tobin">
Mike Tobin
mike@eastsidemotosports.com

Old 05-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Seattle996
Figures.... hahahaha

I called Eastside.. apparently they don't offer classes, they just provide the bikes. Maybe she got confused on the phone. Anyways, they directed me to Jason's website that he posted. Oh well.. I'll figure it out.
You need a class like the MSF course that Jason posted. They'll teah proper riding positions, emergency braking and maneuvering, etc.

As far as a starter bike, you could always start out on something like a Honda 599 or a triumph speed tripple. Something that's not quite a crotch rocket, but not a standard or cruiser also. They have some get up and go, and can be a great little hooligan bike.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:16 PM
they have msf brochures at eastside motorsports with the pricing and info. they also have cool clothes there! lol!

Old 05-22-2008, 03:14 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Seattle996
Figures.... hahahaha

Go to the website I provided earlier, find a regional area that's closest to you and sign up. They provide everything you'll need although I'm not too sure about the helmets, clothing, gloves, etc. They do provide the bikes. It was a fun experience for me and hugely beneficial especially for the new riders. That'd be the first thing you should do, Bojan. Don't go out and buy a motorcycle just yet. Don't even think about what types of bikes to get until you've completed the MSF.

Jody, Eastside Motosports does NOT provide those classes. I'm not sure where you got the impression that they did.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:18 PM
jason...

i was telling him that eastside motorsports had the brochure for the classes. not that they taught them. they handed one to me last time i was there. it was the msf brochure. i was trying to explain that eastside is where todd went for the class (downstairs) prior to the track day that they put on.

sorry for the confusion. =) maybe i'm confused! =P

Last edited by BoxsterGirlie01; 05-22-2008 at 03:27 PM.