An American Car Guy in Europe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 04:28 PM
SBTG is on a distinguished road
Oh what id give to drive a E30 M3 Sport Evo round' the ring. Someday..

Old 11-08-2008, 05:25 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Bleu Omdurman
I was never below third gear!

It took about 10:30 to get around by the end of the day. A guy I knew who kept talking about his driving experience drove a GT3 a week before and it took him "9:53". Who knows how comparable that is, but my grin factor was sure high.

The CLio was a little slow, but the right car for the job that day. Next year I plan on doing a few days back to back. Move up cars a little bit.
Because it appeared you were hitting a high percentage of the apexes, I would guess all your time spent on the simulator put you in good stead.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:08 AM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, the car I had was a little below where my skill is at, but I'd rather it be that way with the cost of "an off" at the 'Ring. Not that a better driver couldn't go faster, of course, it's just that my brain is used to things happening a little faster mid-turn. The Lotus loves to rotate (especially with a throttle lift) and everything between turn-in and exit happens at a much faster pace. I'm sure the P-car is the same way but on a larger scale. So in the Renault, if I nailed the turn-in point, the rest was pretty easy.

The "simulator time" was an enormous help. Of course it doesn't do justice to the elevation changes but after 4-5 laps I knew where I was at on the track and where the track went, pretty much the entire lap. The track has also been repaved since the game was made which takes some of the horror out of a few spots.

Last edited by Bleu Omdurman; 11-18-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
Italy

Hey guys.

I should have posted this before but I've been swamped lately. I get up at 9am, and have class for at least 2 hours a day three days a week. These Europeans really need to slow down the pace!

All kidding aside, my wife is joining me and we rented a MB C class or similar for a week long drive through Italy. We have previously been to Firenze and Venice so we'd love some input on other places to visit.

Currently on the list are the Cinque Terra, Genoa, Portofino, what else?

We may head all the way to Rome. But I seem to be more interested in that than her.

Oh yeah, for those that asked me to bring some Chocolate home, I have found the source. Sprüngli here in Zürich. fantasic! This is the best I have had since Brugge! They are the founders of Lindt and split off (i think they still have the major share) when lindt went "down market." They didn't want to tarnish the brand according to my Austrian roommate.

I'll pick some up during the Christmas markets just before I come home. I land in the States on the 22nd. I will be downtown meeting a friend for coffeeon the 23rd if you would like to pick up your chocolate then. If you are on my way home to Everett, I'd be happy to swing by so you have it before Christmas. A small box of truffles about 100 grams is about $20. I'll take a picture in a sec of the box I bought my wife for her to enjoy on the ride to Italy. shh! don't tell her.

Last edited by Bleu Omdurman; 11-18-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:22 PM
UCrazyKid will become famous soon enoughUCrazyKid will become famous soon enough
Snow?

I'm in Germany now (Cologne). I was going to head down to the Ring on Sunday after my business meetings. However it's calling for Snow, should I even bother?

thanks

Old 11-28-2008, 05:07 AM
Just seeing this. I hope everything went well. I think anytime after the 1st of November is a crap shoot with the snow. The Ring Taxi shuts down on the 1st of November and stays that way until spring.

Drive safely,

Trevor

Old 12-03-2008, 09:06 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
Trevor, your trip through Italy sounds amazing. My husband and I want to go to all those same places. I am so tempted to have you bring me back some chocolate - that is my favorite thing, but the clothes have been really tight lately so I'll have to resist. Thanks for the offer . Have safe travels.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Thanks Greta.

I enjoyed driving through the Swiss Alps and the Italian hill towns more than any other driving (off track of course) I have done since I moved to Europe. Definitely found that Cecilia and I preferred to stay longer than planned in some places and less than planned in others. I think driving for this one is key.

Looking forward to seeing you all again soon,

Trevor

Old 12-04-2008, 08:51 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
I agree Trevor. I went with a motocade of 25 porsches last fall through the alps and northern italy. we had professional race drivers leading our teams of 6 vehicles per pack. Going up and down those mountains and switchback roads at very high speeds in Porsches was the funnest thing I have ever done - like a huge track with scenery that never ended. Glad you got to experience it too.