An American Car Guy in Europe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:44 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
I hope there's audio on that video. I can't wait to hear the angry bees!

Old 10-15-2008, 10:25 PM
slidingk1 is on a distinguished road
Maybe when you get back stateside you can be the super lotus driving coach.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:42 PM
GSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to all
Glad to hear your enjoying your time in Europe. My wife and I are planning a vacation in a couple of years with the family. Enjoy and definately keep the pics coming.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:36 AM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
I am far from being a coach.

But it is a goal of mine to be a driving coach one of these days. Maybe in a few years.

Last edited by Bleu Omdurman; 10-16-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:15 PM
DanWeber is a splendid one to beholdDanWeber is a splendid one to beholdDanWeber is a splendid one to beholdDanWeber is a splendid one to beholdDanWeber is a splendid one to beholdDanWeber is a splendid one to beholdDanWeber is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Bleu Omdurman
Thanks Dan that is very nice of you.

I am thinking about renting a car for my trip to the 'Ring in November.

So far I am looking at two options: Either rent a cheap one for a week at about $350 or rent a Boxster S for about $1000 for 4 days.

Do those prices sound about right? The cheap car is from Zürich, the Boxster would be in Germany. So I'd have to get a train ticket on top of the rental fee.

I'd love your thoughts, recommendations and advice in this area, if you have the time.

may be we could meet up for coffee or something?

Cheers,
No problem. I will see what I can find out about prices.
Where would the Boxster be located?

Sure we can meet for coffee. Let me know when you will be in the lake of constance area or I will tell you when I will be in Zuerich.

Dan

Old 10-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
I know there are Boxsters in the Avis system in Frankfurt. not sure yet if there are any closer to me.

For sure let me know when you are down around this area. I will be in Germany around the 4th of November for my trip to the Ring. Also trying to get a couple of factory tours in as well. (Porsche, Audi, MB)

Old 10-16-2008, 03:22 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Audi and MB factory tours will be easy. Just be sure to show up early if possible. The Porsche one has to be reserved well in advance as does the BMW one too.

You should rent a car from racecar.de over by Nurburgring because those you'd be able to drive on the track. The Boxster you'd be getting probably won't be allowed on the 'Ring.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Jason,

I'm renting a Clio Cup car for the 'Ring. The Boxster would just be for the road and general sightseeing.

On another note,
A buddy of mine has a daughter here in Switzerland. Her class is going to 3 factories in Italy. 2 of them are car factories. Ferrari and Lamborghini.

I want to be in that class!!!

Old 10-16-2008, 10:42 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Jason,

I'm renting a Clio Cup car for the 'Ring. The Boxster would just be for the road and general sightseeing.

On another note,
A buddy of mine has a daughter here in Switzerland. Her class is going to 3 factories in Italy. 2 of them are car factories. Ferrari and Lamborghini.

I want to be in that class!!!
Speaking of classes, I thought you were in Europe to learn something about high finance. I find it hard to believe with all the screwing around you're doing that there is much learning going on.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:38 AM
DanWeber is a splendid one to beholdDanWeber is a splendid one to beholdDanWeber is a splendid one to beholdDanWeber is a splendid one to beholdDanWeber is a splendid one to beholdDanWeber is a splendid one to beholdDanWeber is a splendid one to behold
I know there are Boxsters in the Avis system in Frankfurt. not sure yet if there are any closer to me.

For sure let me know when you are down around this area. I will be in Germany around the 4th of November for my trip to the Ring. Also trying to get a couple of factory tours in as well. (Porsche, Audi, MB)

I will fly out on the 2nd of November to Charleston, Las Vegas etc.

I would get the least expensive car because the Boxster is pretty expensive and you have a car for the Ring.
I will let you know when I will be in Zuerich.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by HUMMM 3
Speaking of classes, I thought you were in Europe to learn something about high finance. I find it hard to believe with all the screwing around you're doing that there is much learning going on.

I just figured you guys wouldn't be too interested in the stuff I am learning, outside of car control that is!!

I give an hour long presentation tomorrow on the Black-Litterman model, the derivation, intuition and math behind it all. this is pretty much the top model for assest allocation on the market. Pretty interesting stuff actually. It is amazing how many financial advisers I have met that do not understand the model they use to allocate peoples wealth. i personally believe that it is an important aspect to understand if someone is trusting you with their wealth.

There are a few other very interesting classes which go through some advanced game theory type of issues (like the executive compensation schemes and how to build a successful contract in this regard.)

But all of that isn't nearly as riveting as the impending laps around the ring!!

BTW, the Lotus day was AWESOME!!!!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:49 AM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
I made it through three and a half pages on the 40 page essay I've found on Black-Litterman, and I'm good for the day...

It's an interesting read, and I'll be the first on to admit that I'm a bit of a nerd, but that is some seriously dense stuff.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Yeah, it's pretty rough.

I had to dust off the matrix algebra skills, the Greek alphabet, and partial derivatives. Pretty simple once it clicks.

Basic point: You have an equilibrium view. Which is basically if you held all asset classes in accordance with their market cap weight. So that's the base portfolio. Then you add weight to view portfolios. A view portfolio is a shift from the eq Port, in which you show your view on the market. Like if you thought Asian large cap would out perform, US large cap by 2%.

The more confident you are in the the view, the more you weight the view. The equity part of this is pretty easy to get your head around. The bond market is a little tougher. Building a bond index is no joke. It is certainly beyond my meager abilities. Durations screw everything up. With each passing day you have a little less 30 year in the index and a littler more 29 and 364 day bonds. Like counting the beer on the wall. You know the song.

You know you want to sing it right now.

Your welcome.

"...take one down, pass it around, 98 bottles of beer on the wall..."

Old 10-21-2008, 03:53 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Yeah, it's pretty rough.

I had to dust off the matrix algebra skills, the Greek alphabet, and partial derivatives. Pretty simple once it clicks.

Basic point: You have an equilibrium view. Which is basically if you held all asset classes in accordance with their market cap weight. So that's the base portfolio. Then you add weight to view portfolios. A view portfolio is a shift from the eq Port, in which you show your view on the market. Like if you thought Asian large cap would out perform, US large cap by 2%.

The more confident you are in the the view, the more you weight the view. The equity part of this is pretty easy to get your head around. The bond market is a little tougher. Building a bond index is no joke. It is certainly beyond my meager abilities. Durations screw everything up. With each passing day you have a little less 30 year in the index and a littler more 29 and 364 day bonds. Like counting the beer on the wall. You know the song.

You know you want to sing it right now.

Your welcome.

"...take one down, pass it around, 98 bottles of beer on the wall..."
Trevor,

more euro car **** and hot chicks please... or was it euro chick **** and hot cars? I guess either is fine...

for Christ's sake man.. you have not fully recapped the Lotus day yet and because Larry gives you hard time about screwing around you start dropping all this finance science drivel on one of my favorite threads!?!?!?!?

You are giving me a limp on with this stuff...

Larry -- stop making him feel guilty about screwing off

Old 10-21-2008, 07:36 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Thanks Trevor. I meet with my financial advisor in a couple of weeks and I can now dazzle him with my financial acumen.

Like PJ said lets get back to cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: An American Car Guy in Europe