An American Car Guy in Europe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 01:19 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Hmmm looks like a differential equation leading toward free lunch.

Originally Posted by Bleu Omdurman
Yeah! I will RB. I personally hope a little bit of their ability to dress wears off on me a little. Lets not forget, I seldom get my clothes on right side out, let along match!!

I had the first day of classes today and I think I have nailed down about 80% of the classes I'll take.

-Financial Engineering
-Advanced Corporate Finance
-Environmental Finance
-Applied Portfolio Theory
-Statistical and Time-series methods

Right now, that's all. I sat in the "Intro to Mathematical finance and derivatives" lecture today, but I have had a class very similar in the US. This one is basically the derivation of the Theorems behind the application. Interesting, but not nearly as interesting as the inside of the Porsche factory is bound to be! Gotta keep them priorities straight.

I'll put up a pic of the blackboard from that last class I mentioned. Braggin' rights to anybody that can translate into layman's terms.

Good news is, it looks like my classes will be on Tuesday for the most part. I might do a monday after noon and Wednesday morning, but we'll see. That should mean pleanty of sightseeing time. Now I just got to make the funds last.

Keep your fingers crossed that I get that job offer I've been dreaming about...

Ufwiederluege, (Good-bye in Swiss German)

Oh, 12 Porsches today. One of them a Seal Gray 996 Turbo. Two M6's, two Maserati's. You might say that Zurich has a high standard of living.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
In a way, yes.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:43 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
I was going to go with there being no such thing as a free lunch...

Old 09-17-2008, 06:35 AM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
17 September

Had a pretty sweet class today. Applied Portfolio Theory. Pretty excited about it as we explore the problems with current portfolio theory (Time-horizon matters too much, have to place constraints on the asset classes due to the first problem, etc) We also present 60 minute segments to the two PhD's that teach the course on various topics. I'm pumped about it anyway.

On the travel front, turns out that the tunnel the trains use to go to the UK, had a fire recently and getting there by train is difficult at best, so I'll be flying to the Goodwood Revival and renting a car from there.

I took some car pics on the way to class this morning. Just to give a sample of what is out here. So they don't think twice about parking a Ferrari next to a construction site on a busy street near the train station. Yes, that is a Bentley parallel parking. What I really appreciate about the local view on cars, is they are meant to be driven. I mean people here are driving Ferrari's to work and parking them on the street! The dude in the Bentley is smoking a fat cigar! It's just great.

I'll post more when I get back from Goodwood.

Here are the links. They are both video introductions worth watching!

Festival of Speed: https://www.goodwood.co.uk/site/cont...d/Default.aspx

Goodwood Revival (the one I am going to):
https://www.goodwood.co.uk/site/cont...l/Default.aspx

Attached Images      

Last edited by Bleu Omdurman; 09-17-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:09 AM
BTW, I am hoping to go to the Festival of Speed one of these years. Normally, it is the first half of July. Maybe we put together a 6speeders trip? I'll try to gather info while I am there this weekend.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Just back from Goodwood!

I just walked in the door at home here in Zurich. It's about 11pm. I'm not going to down load and filter through my photos tonight, but I'll put them up soon.

Goodwood:

What a trip! And I mean that in both the literal, travel oriented sense, and the hallucinogenic, unbelievable experience, “I’m addicted,” virtual sense.

While the travel to and away was a bit of a bother, I truly enjoied the entire experience. Even staying in a Comfort Inn at about $240 a night!!

On the travel front, the fire in the chunnel caused me to take a pleasant but much slower diversion across the English Channel via the ferry between Calais, France and Dover, England. So I took the train from Zurich out to the coast of France.

The coast of France is wonderful. It is quiet, beautiful, and has just terrifically warm weather. While I was absolutely freezing with two sweaters on in Zurich and Paris, I was wishing I had shorts and a t-shirt in Calais (pronounced Cal-lay).

Landing in Dover, I found renting a car to be relatively well priced, given the car I rented, but more on that later!

I choose to drive to Chichester (pronounced Chesh-ish-ster or something like that) that night so that I could maximize my time at the Estate of Lord March known as Goodwood. While I am glad I did, I learned that a room in Dover goes for about $60 and a room near Goodwood goes for about $240. Ouch!

Once at Goodwood, I learned that it is a good idea when in England to take a collared shirt and a tie with you. On Lord March’s Estate, you cannot enter the paddock unless you are dressed like a Gentleman. The next time I go, I want to dress up and go on a Sunday. Apparently, just about everyone dresses on Sunday, though many are dressing up on Friday and Saturday.

The Cars:

OMG! What a great event. You simply cannot absorb it all in one day. In fact, each day is a little bit different and each year is slightly different than the last. I am told that the event gets better and bigger every year. So let me explain what the revival is, to those that don’t know the story. Goodwood, is a terrifically fast race track that is almost 2.5 miles long. It has a grass aerodrome in the center (three runways), and is just a portion of the entire Estate. In 1948, the Earl of March started having various racing events on the Estate. In 1966, the track lost it’s RAC (Motorsports governing body in the UK) license because the track was deemed no longer safe. Not enough runoff, too narrow, etc. Very similar to the Nurburgring, in that sense. Today, the revival celebrates those racing days (1948 to 1966) and thus the cars on the track are from that period.

As a sample, in one race I saw two Ferrari 250 GTO SWB and a Maserati go three wide through turn one. Think about the value of the possible crash for a second. Remember, this is a very narrow course. This particular turn would be like going into turn 12 at Portland, 3 wide, or going into Turn 8 at Pacific 3 wide. Except instead the value of the cars is off the charts. The Ferrari can go for as much as $30m though similar models go for $14m. To see some of these cars taking the turns on three wheels...just amazing.

To watch Sir Sterling Moss, yes THAT Stirling Moss, driving in a race, a real race, with his old helmet and goggles, like is that thing really goning to do anything?

I just loved it. Bobby Rahal, yup, that one. I mean the racing names, the racing cars, the racing AIRPLANEs!!! It was just sick. But I didn't even mention the Fastest Cars in the world competition. Sweet Jesus, my heart gets going just typing this out. I really need to grab some sleep.

One last thing, that parking lot...OMG. worth the trip by itself!!!

more later, including pics

Last edited by Bleu Omdurman; 09-22-2008 at 03:19 AM.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:39 PM
TrackMom is on a distinguished road
Omg

and I was excited about seeing a 67 StingRay yesterday at Shari's. I can't wait to see the Pic's. We got Tawnya all moved into College. She will come home this weekend to get the rest of things she might need. Buddy attacked me the other day. No he wasn't playing

Old 09-21-2008, 03:45 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Trevor, you're living the dream! I've been meaning to go to the Goodwood festival for years after hearing all about it from several others who have gone including yourself. Looks like I might have to finally bite the bullet and get myself over there. Can you imagine the type of photos I'd be able to capture for everyone to see.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Yeah it is truly amazing. The view points you have of the track are incredible.

I'm seriously considering coming for the Festival of Speed. However, a gentleman at goodwood told me that the Silverstone Classic is even better than the Festival of Speed. Apparently, it focuses on cars from the 60s through the 80's.

Both are in July. The Festival is normally just before the middle of the month, and Silverstone is after the middle of the month. Don't see official dates for either right now.

If the markets calm down, and I get a job doing what I want, I'll be out of the loop for the revival next year, but the Festival is a definite possibility.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:13 PM
BuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant future
I can imagine what you mean about the parking lot. I went to the first Rensport and it was over an hour before I realized I was still in the damn parking lot! You are drooling all over a couple 250 GTO's and you said you wouldn't be looking at other women!

I am completely in for Goodwood. I want to do the one where they drive up the driveway. Jason, I think we need to plan on it and we can compare our pictures or better yet share them all and let everyone here decide witch ones they like best. But we will have to include at least a few days in Italy or France so we can get some good food!

Old 09-22-2008, 02:38 AM
Originally Posted by TrackMom
and I was excited about seeing a 67 StingRay yesterday at Shari's. I can't wait to see the Pic's. We got Tawnya all moved into College. She will come home this weekend to get the rest of things she might need. Buddy attacked me the other day. No he wasn't playing
Hi Mom. Mom, this is everyone. Everyone, this is mom.

Mother you crack me up. Have Tawnya show you how to use the private message feature. THat way, the next time Buddy (the family pet, a small puppy) attacks you...it's not public knowledge.

To Private Message (pm) just click my name (Bleu Omdurman) then follow the directions. I'll send you one shortly.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by BuzzedHornet
I can imagine what you mean about the parking lot. I went to the first Rensport and it was over an hour before I realized I was still in the damn parking lot! You are drooling all over a couple 250 GTO's and you said you wouldn't be looking at other women!

I am completely in for Goodwood. I want to do the one where they drive up the driveway. Jason, I think we need to plan on it and we can compare our pictures or better yet share them all and let everyone here decide witch ones they like best. But we will have to include at least a few days in Italy or France so we can get some good food!

True, the food was horrible. I mean really just horrible.

Easyjet has flights from Pisa (which is in Florence, which is in the Tuscany region of Italy) to London Gatwick for about 23 Euro or just over $30. Those prices reflect buying a January flight today, so they should be relatively accurate for a flight booked 2-3 months in advance. Just double it given the time of year difference.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Just saw a Black FGT with no stripes. Sexy!

Also, about 30 minutes prior to that, a yellow Lambo Gallardo spider.

I could so live here.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Pics from last weekends trip.

The tunnel under the track at Goodwood.

GTO

Last edited by Bleu Omdurman; 09-22-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:56 AM

A first for me in the flesh:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: An American Car Guy in Europe