An American Car Guy in Europe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 08:48 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Trevor,

You really should take the time to go back to the BMW, Mercedes Benz and Audi Zentrum. All three are far superior (sadly enough) to the Porsche Zentrum (at least the current one). I can't believe that they're STILL not finished with the new one. I plan to go back once they've finally finished it! My favorite was the Mercedes Benz museum followed very closely by the Audi. The most impressive "factory" tour was Audi although I didn't get a chance to go on the BMW tour mainly because you have to make an appointment well in advance. Do you plan to go on any of the factory tours? You really should. I'm surprised you didn't go on the Porsche factory tour while you were there. Audi and Mercedes are the only ones where you can go without reservations (well in advance). The Audi factory tour however was not free but worth every penny. It's what convinced both me and Larry that the A3 was a worth buying!

Old 10-06-2008, 09:19 AM
brnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant future
Thanks for all the info on the Porsche Museum.

I've been to the BMW tour, that was pretty good. After doing the Porsche factory tour, do you really think the Audi factory tour is that unique that I should do that as well? I am visiting Mercedes on Sun, I assume you can't do factory tours on Sun, but the museum is open and will hit that. Comments?

Old 10-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by atomic80
Trevor,

You really should take the time to go back to the BMW, Mercedes Benz and Audi Zentrum. All three are far superior (sadly enough) to the Porsche Zentrum (at least the current one). I can't believe that they're STILL not finished with the new one. I plan to go back once they've finally finished it! My favorite was the Mercedes Benz museum followed very closely by the Audi. The most impressive "factory" tour was Audi although I didn't get a chance to go on the BMW tour mainly because you have to make an appointment well in advance. Do you plan to go on any of the factory tours? You really should. I'm surprised you didn't go on the Porsche factory tour while you were there. Audi and Mercedes are the only ones where you can go without reservations (well in advance). The Audi factory tour however was not free but worth every penny. It's what convinced both me and Larry that the A3 was a worth buying!

Hi Jason,

I do plan on doing the Factory tours. Luckily I have nearly 3 months left. Next week I leave for the Lotus factory. I have a drivers training session there. Trying to set up a factory tour there too, but the only offer on wednesday which, given travel time from Zurich would mean I would miss an entire week of classes. I already have slotted time to miss a day of classes for the Nurburgring in early November.

I'll keep you posted though.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:28 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by brnsrgn
Thanks for all the info on the Porsche Museum.

I've been to the BMW tour, that was pretty good. After doing the Porsche factory tour, do you really think the Audi factory tour is that unique that I should do that as well? I am visiting Mercedes on Sun, I assume you can't do factory tours on Sun, but the museum is open and will hit that. Comments?
Yes, definitely YES! Audi factory is definitely worth it. You'll watch them build the A3. The museum there is also very cool too. They've got a vertically rotating conveyor platform that rotates through all of their special Audi vehicles I believe every half hour.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:53 PM
youngbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant future
DUDE......

you've missed the famous Oktoberfest in Munich!

you should have done that in combination with a visit to the BMW Welt and the BMW museum.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
Oh I certainly did not miss it. Didn't miss it one bit.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:38 PM
BritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to behold
You mentioned Bath. You should definitely visit if you get the chance -- it's a beautiful city, and in Winter it's not infested with American tourists! I grew up about 6m from there, and the history of the baths is fascinating, and the fact that they're still standing is testament to Roman engineering!

Old 10-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks, I'll be sure to infest the place when/if I make it there.

Last edited by Bleu Omdurman; 10-10-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:36 PM
I took some time today and listened to Kofi Annan speak at the University today. The topic was the roll that universities play in the effort deal with climate change. It was a good speech. he is just ! Seems like a genuine guy, very gracious. I didn't know that he studied at MIT.

He made a funny joke about being confused for Morgan Freeman.

he was basically encouraging universities to put effort into finding a solution to bringing renewable energy to the remote poor. And that person should receive two prizes as they are helping solve two problems with one solution.

good talk.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:14 PM
youngbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant future
Cool!

Was this an official event,or was it an invitational event?

BTW,tell us something about your time at the Oktoberfest,...must have been a lot of fun - as it always is with girls and beer combined

Old 10-14-2008, 01:41 AM
The Kofi Annan speech was open to the entire university. It was pretty cool. I was impressed how funny he was. Especially given the topic of climate change. Which is basically, "we are all gonna die. Many will drown, many will starve, others will bake." In all seriousness, it was a good speech. Basically, he encouraged the universities (where some of the worlds smartest people are employed) to put more effort into discovering solutions to the problems ahead.

As for Oktoberfest... In the end, it just wasn't worth it for me. I don't drink and it was expensive to go (about $300 in travel, $200 a night in a Comfort Inn) My point above, was that I didn't miss it, in the sense, that it was a decision I didn't regret.

On the fun side, the money I saved is helping to defray the costs of track time on the Lotus test track and the Nurburgring! I prefer to collect my pennies and dutifully hand it over to the track masters of the universe. I'm flying out to England in a couple of days. Heading out to the Lotus Factory for the Advanced Drivers Training program. I'll take one factory test track, one exotic sports car, right-hand drive, and speeds that would make my mother cringe over a malted beverage any day!
The type of car I'll be in at Lotus:

Nurburgring is scheduled for 4 November in a Clio Cup car.
Pics of the Cup car. How about that pedel box!! That should be fun for Heel-toe!! Even better than my Lotus.

Attached Images     

Last edited by Bleu Omdurman; 10-14-2008 at 01:51 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:16 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Holy crap. The brake and the gas are like one pedal.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:48 AM
DanWeber is a splendid one to beholdDanWeber is a splendid one to beholdDanWeber is a splendid one to beholdDanWeber is a splendid one to beholdDanWeber is a splendid one to beholdDanWeber is a splendid one to beholdDanWeber is a splendid one to behold
Hey,
I moved back to Germany (Lake of Constance) which is only 1.5 hrs. away from Zuerich.
If you ever want to meet or need any help during your stay let me know.
I will also fly to States from Zuerich on the 2nd of November.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks Dan that is very nice of you.

I am thinking about renting a car for my trip to the 'Ring in November.

So far I am looking at two options: Either rent a cheap one for a week at about $350 or rent a Boxster S for about $1000 for 4 days.

Do those prices sound about right? The cheap car is from Zürich, the Boxster would be in Germany. So I'd have to get a train ticket on top of the rental fee.

I'd love your thoughts, recommendations and advice in this area, if you have the time.

may be we could meet up for coffee or something?

Cheers,

Old 10-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Yeah, the pedals and the shifter are very interesting!

I will have in car video from the 'Ring that I'll post up.

Unfortunately, I don't think Lotus lets me take my camera onto the facility so likely no in car video at that track day.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: An American Car Guy in Europe