93 octane in the Seattle area?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 10:20 PM
Knee is on a distinguished road
93 octane in the Seattle area?

The title speaks for itself. My GT-R would love a drink of the gooder stuff , but everywhere I look, 92 octane is the best I can find. Does anyplace sell 93 octane around here?

Knee

Old 11-14-2008, 01:02 AM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
1 octane point isn’t going to make a noticeable difference. There is a 76 in auburn just off hwy 167 that has 101 at the pump. I’m guessing your car is stock and isn’t tuned to take advantage of it so it really isn’t going to do much.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:09 AM
Sl33p3rS4 is on a distinguished road
As the previous member said, there is a station in Auburn Way N that sells 101 octane out of the pump...

Some cars these days have adaptive ECU's and can adjust timing and boost pressure based off a higher octane gas...

Your best best would be to find a local hardware store that sells Toluene and run 1 gallon of that...Toluene is rated at 114 octane and when mixed with 9 gallons of 92 octane you would have roughly 94.2...

Before anyone jumps in saying it isn't safe, I ran it mixed with fuel in the S4 I used to own with no problems whatsoever...

If you run it and you fell no difference then there isn't any point in running higher octane fuel...

Chevron and several other companies are considering bringing 93 octane to this area, but it will have higher ethanol content which will do more harm than good on your twin FI car...There is a station in Tacoma that has 94 octane with higher ethanol contents....My old S4 absolutely hated it.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:02 AM
BMWMPWR is on a distinguished road
unleaded 101 is sold at the Shell station at Thrasher's Corner.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
93 Octane in Seattle? Every other car in Seattle is a Prius, and they certainly don't need it.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Boo
Boo is on a distinguished road
As stated before, the Shell station on Thrasher's Corner in Bothell sells 101 unleaded, but not at the pump. You have to ask at the desk for it, and they will pump it out of a 55 gallon drum in the car wash storage area. They also have 110 leaded, which I mistakingly bought 5 gallons of @ $10/g, assuming it was unleaded. Luckily I used a canister and double checked the following day before it was too late.

Anybody have any use for 5 gallons of 110 leaded gas haha? I was going to see if it made any difference in my car mixing it with 5 gallons of 92, but I'm still running cats and O2 sensors so it's a no go for me.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Knee is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Excellent! Thanks

Agreed that one point wont make much of a difference, but I'd like to see if my butt dyno feels any difference with the GT-R's recommended octane, which is 93.

Thanks for the info about the gas station in Thrashers Corner! Thats about 2 miles from my house - perfect

Knee

Old 11-14-2008, 10:20 PM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
Cenex sells 94oct, & I tell ya, it makes a difference in my 993's. I get better MPG & more throttle response.

There all over the Seattle area!

Old 11-15-2008, 08:37 AM
ivangene is a splendid one to beholdivangene is a splendid one to beholdivangene is a splendid one to beholdivangene is a splendid one to beholdivangene is a splendid one to beholdivangene is a splendid one to beholdivangene is a splendid one to behold
I mixed about 3-4 gallons from Thashers corner 101 with the ussual 92. I made a quick calculator that showed what the octain should be for a mix. I tried to get it to about 93.5 since the car is stock...
Seemed to run great, and aside from being a real pain in the butt to get them to pump it out with that little electric pump... I would recommend trying it and running a mix every so often (not every tank due to the hastle)

Old 11-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Jeffxxx is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Boo
Anybody have any use for 5 gallons of 110 leaded gas haha? I was going to see if it made any difference in my car mixing it with 5 gallons of 92, but I'm still running cats and O2 sensors so it's a no go for me.

It would not be harmful to run it one time, I'll take it off your hands if you won't use it.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:45 PM
madflava is just really nicemadflava is just really nicemadflava is just really nicemadflava is just really nice
Originally Posted by Knee
Agreed that one point wont make much of a difference, but I'd like to see if my butt dyno feels any difference with the GT-R's recommended octane, which is 93.

Thanks for the info about the gas station in Thrashers Corner! Thats about 2 miles from my house - perfect

Knee
Typcally, higher octane does not give more horsepower, higher octane prevents preignition and/or predetonation and allows you to run more timing. Your car is full of technolgical wizardy (and cool as hell ) but you may want to check to see if your car has an adaptation systems that allow the ECU to increase timing to match additional octane. If the igntion tables are set (like in my car) and you run 100 octane on timing that is meant for 93, it will actually rob you of horsepower because it requires more power to ignite and will yield negative results.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Cenex sells 94oct, & I tell ya, it makes a difference in my 993's. I get better MPG & more throttle response.

There all over the Seattle area!
Your 993's like the 94 Cenex?

My B5 S4 hated it...

I'm fairly certain it's actually E10 based fuel which should actually reduce your mileage and performance, but burn cleaner...

Old 11-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sl33p3rS4
Your 993's like the 94 Cenex?

My B5 S4 hated it...

I'm fairly certain it's actually E10 based fuel which should actually reduce your mileage and performance, but burn cleaner...

Yup, runs a lot nicer, so didn't my B5 S4.
There is nothing on the pump about ethanol. But you know all of WA state has at least 5% ethanol. They are trying to raise it to 10%.

Do you know why you loose MPG with ethanol? It has a lower BTU rating, so it takes more for the same BTU as gas. It will not lower performance at all, but it does lower MPG. Most turbo cars like it.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Yup, runs a lot nicer, so didn't my B5 S4.
There is nothing on the pump about ethanol. But you know all of WA state has at least 5% ethanol. They are trying to raise it to 10%.

Do you know why you loose MPG with ethanol? It has a lower BTU rating, so it takes more for the same BTU as gas. It will not lower performance at all, but it does lower MPG. Most turbo cars like it.
The Cenex in Parkland is where I got mine. Their pumps have "10% Ethanol by volume" or something like that on them in big bold letters...

My Camaro doesn't mind it at all, but again, my old S4 hated it...

Old 11-17-2008, 07:43 PM
BMWMPWR is on a distinguished road
16 gallons of 92 with 2 gallons of 101 gets you 93 octane.

So about $16 for 2 gallons.

I like 95 octane. Maybe I should restate that as; I don't really feel a difference until 95 octane, but I have aftermarket software mods that were designed to handle higher octane- on the track of course.

The description I have when using higher octane is that the rpm's feel smoother than they were. As if an you finally got an oil change which you hadn't done for awhile- but who does that.

Knee- pick some up before the weekend

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 93 octane in the Seattle area?