Got a "No front plate" ticket on 405!

Old 10-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Former Vendor
roytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Horhay
There must be loopholes for the military, I'm pretty sure I can renew my plates through DE.
Yes, ACTIVE military are exempt and may keep the vehicle registered to their home State.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Former Vendor
roytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyJames
Yea, I can see in that case, but I do have my cars in other states for a while which is why one is licensed in CA, with a CA address. I certainly don't save any money on tax. My CA car has no front plate and there is nothing they can do about it really as the car will spend a chunk of its life in CA and there are no licensing benefits in terms of costs for them to use as the basis for "tax avoidance". The rules are that you're to license your cars where you anticipate them spending the most time as far as I know. It would be ridiculous for me to license a car in WA that spends the majority of its life somewhere else. It's more expensive to register a car in California, but WSP has no authority to enforce front plate rules for CA cars.

Still, with all that said, given that the WSP has switched from safety minded to predatory in focus, it wouldn't surprise me if they tried.
Yes and no...you are required to have the Vehicle titled and registred to the State of your Residnce, where you live, not where the car lives.

However Tom, you have a different situation. In California YOU can not drive the car off of a Dealer lot UNLESS California Sales tax is paid...PERIOD. Even for out of State residents. If you wish not to pay the Cali tax (which is higher) it MUST be transported out of State by a Transported that has to sign a NOTARIZED form...EVEN FOR Dealers sales such as me.

HOWEVER, Washington State Law allows for NO SALES TAX to be paid on a car you bring into Washington that HAS been registred and paid for in another State for at least 181 days. This rule is just for what Tom is doing, in another State, want to buy a car, only stay there part time and come back to Washington. You then can get your car registered and titled here in Washington for only plate and registration fee's...NO SALES TAX..but take your orginal Bill of Sale in with you when you switch at DMV.

The kicker is, it has to come from a State that CHARGED you Sales Tax..so like Oregon wont work..AND they can, BUT rarely can charge you the difference in the tax..

Example

You bought in Cali at 8.9% tax
Washington is 9.8% tax
They can collect .9% tax on the selling amount, but I have not seen any DMV do that yet.

And last, Tom is correct. WSP CAN NOT enforce a front plate rule, or any other NON MOVING violation on an out of state registered vehicle.
Yes, they do all the time, and most just pay, BUT THEY have no authority to do so..it is an easy letter to the court to have it dropped.

They CAN enforce "rules of the road" violations to ANY driver and vehicle in the State. i.e., speeding, fail to signal, HOV violation, etc etc..

BUT with the NEW computer hand held ticket imprinters, that are on the way, (under testing currently) the ticket writing process will be down to a few minites at most. All they will do is lside your Drivers License that has the bar code on the rear, enter a 5 digit violation cade...and bing prints up..are not even required to sign for them any longer.

OF course this will casue for the LAZY ones to enter multiple violation codes on one ticket, that currently dont care to write each violation..

My prediction is EACH ticket will have a generic stamped "NO LITTER BAG IN CAR" $88.00, after all WHO has one in their car..?

Just a new way to collect money and not have to try and get a State Income tax passed here.

One way or another, we are going to pay for it.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ivangene
here is the one that has been bugging me - read the rules for HOV lanes and you will discover that it is NOT leagal for police just to drive down the HOV lane, yet they do it everyday -

the rules clearly state that an "emergency vehicle may use the lanes when responding to an emergency" then it state that they may NOT use the HOV lanes for things like returning from an emergency - again, i see it all the time and I am keeping it as my "get out of ticket free card" - IF an officer uses the HOV lane for driving in a non-emergency mode, then any ticket is invalid - (just like evidence obtained without a proper search warrant - if the obtaining of the evidense breaks the law, then the evidense is not submissable) look it up and see if you agree ? ?
LOL OF course they violate it...NOW WHO the hell is going to write them a ticket..?

In my 11 years in Law enforcement, it was "Blue line" UNWRITTEN rule, you NEVER wrote another Officer, ON DUTY or OFF.

I had an Off-Duty Officer that was involved in a one car off the roadway DUI accident. AT the time I was in Traffic Unit. I went ahead and arrested him and cited him for DUI, at the time the law was .10. He blew a .17. I did not care becuse he CHOOSE to drink and drive and could have killed someone.

BUT with all the CRAP I got for it...and in the future just ignored it when I had a Officer and turned it over to my SGt to cover my butt. But I can say, there is almost NO COP going to write another COP, unless he is about to retire....or wantsw grief his whole time on the Dept.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Island Maser
for those of you registered out of state beware. UPS and other delivery services work with the WSP and local cops to target out of state cars. If they are deliverying to your house and see an out of state plate they report it to the cops. Bingo ticket in the mail. I moved up from CA and was waiting for those $800 plate to expire before registering the in WA. I was told my ups guy turnewd me in. I was like WTF. UPS gets special treatment for working with the WSP. All a racket.
Yes, that was normal when I was on the Dept as well. NOT only UPS but any and all companies, as well as utilitie compnays alike, that have FLEET SERVICE TABS, the Yellow tag on their plate...are required, in order to get the fleet tag at reduced rates...to report the exsistance of out od State Plates to the WSP they locate. WSP then runs the plate, if it matches the reciepent of a Delivery or a power. light, water payer at the same Washington Residnece..BAMB a ticket in the mail for

"Failure to register out of state vehicle with in 60 days"

I can say when I did it, we got very very few from UPS, most all ours came from the Power, light, water providers and a few from the Cable company hookups...

Old 10-06-2009, 09:56 AM
r34dy2walk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by roytoy2003
Yes, ACTIVE military are exempt and may keep the vehicle registered to their home State.
Ugh, I read all four pages just to find this part right here.

I definitely did not feel like changing registrations, insurance and plates cause I'm getting stationed in WA. Especially since I paid for special plates in NY.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:34 AM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by r34dy2walk

I definitely did not feel like changing registrations, insurance and plates cause I'm getting stationed in WA. Especially since I paid for special plates in NY.

here's the good news - you can take your chances and if you do get busted, go thru the motions to get everything up to date and live with the court appearance.

remember, WA still has a general influx of people and there are lots of out of state plates so it doesn't stand out as much. it's not like we're birmingham, AL

Old 10-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Apple Sauce will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by roytoy2003
Upon residence in the State of Washington with in 60 days
Roy, I thought it was 30 days?
No matter, it's not very much time.

Vic

Old 10-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Horhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to all
Originally Posted by brendo
here's the good news - you can take your chances and if you do get busted, go thru the motions to get everything up to date and live with the court appearance.

remember, WA still has a general influx of people and there are lots of out of state plates so it doesn't stand out as much. it's not like we're birmingham, AL
Active duty military, like myself and (I assume) r34dy, are exempt. I keep a DE license and DE tags on my STi legally.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:43 AM
I am indeed Active Duty. Get to play in the sand and mud all day so I can avoid paying renewal fees on my license and registration.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:36 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Online petition here - over 5,000 signatures so far.

http://www.petitiononline.com/wafrtplt/petition.html

Old 10-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Eliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by r34dy2walk

HOLY CRAP. Camp hovey? How are you holding up over there? Enjoy the winter.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by Eliseguy
HOLY CRAP. Camp hovey? How are you holding up over there? Enjoy the winter.
I've had better days. Or rather, I've had better years.

It has its ups and downs. The winter is definitely something I'm not looking forward to. Last year wasn't to bad but I fear for the worst for this year. It's been pretty ridiculously this year.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:06 PM
BritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to behold
What a crock!

Apparently someone here in this state got off the front-plate ticket because it is a 4th amendment violation to stop a vehicle without a front plate for that sole reason. The logic is that the govenor can (though seldom rarely does) issue an exemption to the requirement. There is NO central database for this exemption. So, the officer cannot possibly know if you have the exemption form or not, to stop and ask you is to stop and ask you without probable cause.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:06 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
Paul, where do you find the 4th Amendment violation language? Would be nice to have handy in ones glovebox if I understand you correctly

Old 10-10-2009, 06:13 PM
BritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gretapass
Paul, where do you find the 4th Amendment violation language? Would be nice to have handy in ones glovebox if I understand you correctly
It's not a defense you can use against a police officer. It'll just irritate him, he'll find you guilty of "contempt of cop" and look for other tickets to write you up for. It's only in the courtroom, where there's a better chance of the law actually being followed, that you can use the defense.

Read this nice article. It explains why the state feels its ok to violate motorists' 4th amendment rights daily:

http://www.articlesbase.com/law-arti...ms-200760.html

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got a "No front plate" ticket on 405!