Other British Cars Jaguar, TVR, Rolls Royce, Morgan, Caterham, Noble & Range Rover

need help picking out a range rover...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:01 AM
mod220 is on a distinguished road
need help picking out a range rover...

my fiance and I are looking at picking up a used RR...i'm not sure on which year and model to go with. first question, is it better to own one of the BMW manufactured models? and in regards to models, it seems like the Sports are less expensive new, but used are equal if not more expensive, why is that? between the sport and full size, is there any advantage to the sport other then looks? ive read they drive the same but the full size has more room, so i'm leaning towards the full size. lastly, the cost difference between a regular and Supercharged model gap is narrowing, does the supercharger make a big differnece. a friend bought a supercharged sport a little while ago, and even though i didnt drive it, i wasnt very impressed w/ the pick up...

thanks in advance!

Old 02-25-2009, 10:43 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
I have an 05, last year of the BMW engine and transmission. And yes the Range Rover is a heavy vehicle, but the supercharged version has noticeably more power. 2006 gets the Jaguar engine and the updated interior and another revision to the navigation system.

Get the Range Rover 06 or newer the newest and lowest mile one that is affordable. Preferrably under factory warranty, and get the Supercharged if you can they depreciate percentage wise more than the non S/C so they usually are a fantastic bargain.

Also try to find one with the aftermarket accesories you like installed. Things like the brush guard and running boards can be spendy thru LR dealerships.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by germeezy1
I have an 05, last year of the BMW engine and transmission. And yes the Range Rover is a heavy vehicle, but the supercharged version has noticeably more power. 2006 gets the Jaguar engine and the updated interior and another revision to the navigation system.

Get the Range Rover 06 or newer the newest and lowest mile one that is affordable. Preferrably under factory warranty, and get the Supercharged if you can they depreciate percentage wise more than the non S/C so they usually are a fantastic bargain.

Also try to find one with the aftermarket accesories you like installed. Things like the brush guard and running boards can be spendy thru LR dealerships.
how does the Jaguar drivetrain compare to the BMW, noticably better?

Old 02-25-2009, 11:07 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Worse actually and that also appears to be other LR owners opinion as well. That BMW 4.4 is truly a special engine although blunted by the weight.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Worse actually and that also appears to be other LR owners opinion as well. That BMW 4.4 is truly a special engine although blunted by the weight.
if its worse why do you recommend the 2006-newer?

Old 02-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Because that is when they did the facelift outside and interior. Plus as I said with Range Rovers get the newest, lowest mile one you can buy. I have had mine for a few years.

I may wait until the next gen 5.0 DI V8 comes before I buy my next one though.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:33 PM
zschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud of
pickup a 08 RR now in the high 50's. You get a 4yr bumper to bumper and free maintenance. Keep it for a few years then get the new version (2010) coming out with the new 5.0 V8. Dont waist your $$$ on the supercharger. These are heavy trucks and not sportscars.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:05 PM
alpineovernappa is a jewel in the roughalpineovernappa is a jewel in the roughalpineovernappa is a jewel in the rough
I would buy a 2006 RR sport supercharged. They are now down in the low 30's with about 35k on them and they have very few issues. The SC'd models will retain their value better. They also have a lot of neat features like the TVs in the headrests. Whatever you do, avoid the 03 and early 04 RRs like the plague. They have nothing but problems.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Land Rovers are maintenance intensive no matter what wether it be a Sport or a Range Rover. But definitely buy one still under warranty/ maintenance if at all possible.

Also drive both the LR3 based Sport doesn't drive like the Range Rover or have as much room inside. But some prefer the smaller sportier vehicle. I have seen the Sports drop in value quicker than the Range Rovers as well, which is most likely because of how many more Sports they made.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:56 PM
ara
ara is on a distinguished road
i'm gonna pick up a RR also for next winter. i have found some with 50 000 miles. is that too much or still decently low for one season of winter?

Old 03-05-2009, 02:09 AM
lsbe36 is on a distinguished road
The sport is way more reliable than the full size RR. Try to get an 07' or newer. Some 06's have problems, its all the luck of the draw, but 07' and up seems like a good bet. If you want to get more than 10mpg than dont get the super charged, i have the non sc and its just fine plenty of power!

Old 03-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Land Rover and reliable don't go hand in hand, if reliability is your thing get an RX300. You will be anonymous and feel like your driving a tarted up Highlander but it will be reliable.

The Range Rover can be a little short on interior room and the Sport is worse so make sure to drive both. I looked at Sports too, very good deals out there but too small on the inside and the interior isn't special enough for me.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
I have an 04 with the BMW engine. Best vehicle I have ever had. As good as my S500 going down the road and excellent off road. I live in the mountains and where it is a wonder. The worse the weather gets, the better the RR is.

I had an 98 for 120K miles and we almost cried when we traded it for the 04.

Drove an 09 Autobiography a while back and was astonished at the improvements.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Mine doesn't ride as well as stock with the 30 series tires on it, but it still rides much better than anything as big as it is on low profile tires has a right to!

Old 09-30-2009, 09:47 PM
reagd is on a distinguished road

Hmm.. I would choose Range Rover against LR. Your quite lucky for acquiring a vehicle that's still under warranty. 2006 RR sport supercharged is also ideal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: need help picking out a range rover...