Other British Cars Jaguar, TVR, Rolls Royce, Morgan, Caterham, Noble & Range Rover

Searching for fast, comfortable daily driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Indigo is on a distinguished road
Searching for fast, comfortable daily driver

Hey people.
Up to now I've been driving a Lotus Evora (sold it now), which I thought was not comfortable enough and too noisy inside, despite it being a great ride while going fast.

Now, I'm looking for a fast car that's also very comfy. What I want, basically, is a luxury car that I can relax into when driving in the city (without feeling any kind of roughness - I don't want opulence only, but also comfort and a really soft ride, and that's why I'm not buying a Rapide) that becomes a (near?) supercar when I decide to have fun. I don't know if such a car exists...
I don't really have any other requirements. I don't care if it's a two seater or a 2+2, a sedan or a coupe, if it has trunk space or not.

I've been looking at a Bentley Continental GT, but I don't know if the ride is smooth. Similarly, the Noble M600's interior seems very comfortable (as in cozy), but can it be silent and soft when I need it?
I'm open to suggestions concerning non-British cars (a friend recommended me a California or an FF, I have yet to test drive them), but most of my options are English.

I don't know if a question like this belongs here, if not, please redirect me to another section or forum. Thanks for your time.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:38 PM
OCTurbo is on a distinguished road
I was looking for something similar to you and went for the jag Xkr-s and have been very happy with my choice thus far. Other cars to consider would be Porsche 997 TT, Aston Martins (DbS, etc), Ferrari california, new m5, maserati grandtourismo...

Old 02-05-2013, 07:13 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
How about a Jaguar XJ Supersport?

I have a 2011 XJ SS and it is absolutely the BEST car I've ever driven on the highway. Comfortable, fast and beautiful.

In normal mode around town its dosile and smooth. Put it in "dynamic" mode and it turns into a growling race car!

Specs:

Engine - 5.0-liter supercharged V-8
Horsepower - 510 hp @ 6,000 rpm
Torque - 461 lb-ft @ 2,500 rpm
Transmission - 6-speed automatic
0–60 mph - 4.7 seconds
Top Speed - 155 mph (limited)
Weight - 4,281 lb
Length - 202 inches
Tires Front: 245/40ZR-20, Rear: 275/35ZR-20

Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2013, 04:25 AM
Thanks for your advice.

The XKR-S seems to have a decent interior, however, isn't it too sporty?
I'm asking myself the same thing about the California. About Maserati though, I heard they had reliability issues.

I like the interior of the Jag XJ SS, seems very comfortable. I'll try to arrange a test drive soon, should I try the XJL Ultimate or just the SS though?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:06 AM
lawman800 has a spectacular aura aboutlawman800 has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like you want a GT instead of another type of car which would suggest something along the lines of the BMW M6, Aston Martin DB7, Jaguar XKR, or Mercedes Benz CL65?

Old 02-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by lawman800
Sounds like you want a GT instead of another type of car which would suggest something along the lines of the BMW M6, Aston Martin DB7, Jaguar XKR, or Mercedes Benz CL65?
I don't *want* a GT, honestly I'm good with a sedan, a GT or a two-seater.
The M6 looks awesome but the interior doesn't look as good. The Aston DB7... Well, I prefer the DB9. Are Aston fit my requirements, though? My brother's Vantage makes a hell lot of noise.
I'm leaning towards the XJ is we're talking Jag, and isn't the F-Type the update to the XKR-S?
I've never thought about the CL65 AMG. Will it get an update? And is it relatively silent inside?

Old 02-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Sounds like you want a comfortable cruiser with some power. You will not find super car performance if that is what u are looking for.
The f-type is a 2 seat sports car- not a replacement for the xk. This would not be a good fit for u.
Take a look at the amg's as someone mentioned-comfortable with power- SL 63, cl 63, e63 etc
Others- panamera turbo, Maserati quatroporte, Bentley continental gt, jag xj SS
I think you need to narrow your search to a coupe or sedan, because there are so many choices..

Old 02-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by OCTurbo
Sounds like you want a comfortable cruiser with some power. You will not find super car performance if that is what u are looking for.
The f-type is a 2 seat sports car- not a replacement for the xk. This would not be a good fit for u.
Take a look at the amg's as someone mentioned-comfortable with power- SL 63, cl 63, e63 etc
Others- panamera turbo, Maserati quatroporte, Bentley continental gt, jag xj SS
I think you need to narrow your search to a coupe or sedan, because there are so many choices..
Indeed, there are lots of choices, but I think that my requirements narrow them down a bit... No?
I mean, it's pretty hard to find a car that is both fast when you need it and has a comfy and smooth ride/suspension when you want to cruise on a highway or in the city. When I drove the Vantage, I found it reasonably comfortable, but definitely not enough to relax. Sure, the seats are good and the gadgets are decent, but you always get that sporty feeling. The ride is much sharper than in an S600, for example (I know it's strange to compare those).
I doubt I'll find a car that has both Rolls Royce comfort when in normal mode and Lambo excitement in sports mode (a friend told me there were very comfortable supercars, namely the M600, MP4-12C and FF, but still), so that's why I didn't specify coupe or sedan.

Edit: Or maybe I should buy a reasonably fast luxury car and a weekender.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:46 AM
ivory8 is on a distinguished road
Out of all "Supercars" the Mp4-12c has the most livable interior and suspension smoothness, but it doesnt really sound like you want a car like that.

I've heard great things about the ferrari FF if that is in your price range.

Big cars like the S600 and the Jag listed above are cool, but they really aren't ever "exciting". You press on the gas, and you can hardly tell they have 600 or so horsepower, they just kind of float up to 100 mph with ease.

I'd suggest An S6, resonably fast, not A gigantic boat like the luxury cars listed above, interior is amazing.

Again, not knowing your budget...if you're able to afford a Continental GT that is absolutely the best of both worlds, the super sport version is just as ridiculously luxurious and very fast.

Hope this helps

Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by ivory8
Out of all "Supercars" the Mp4-12c has the most livable interior and suspension smoothness, but it doesnt really sound like you want a car like that.

I've heard great things about the ferrari FF if that is in your price range.

Big cars like the S600 and the Jag listed above are cool, but they really aren't ever "exciting". You press on the gas, and you can hardly tell they have 600 or so horsepower, they just kind of float up to 100 mph with ease.

I'd suggest An S6, resonably fast, not A gigantic boat like the luxury cars listed above, interior is amazing.

Again, not knowing your budget...if you're able to afford a Continental GT that is absolutely the best of both worlds, the super sport version is just as ridiculously luxurious and very fast.

Hope this helps
My price range is >400k, shouldn't be a problem. The MP4's interior doesn't look as good as expected, after a closer look. I like the M600 better, but after looking at a few YouTube videos, I doubt I could daily drive that.
In fact, my favorite interior is the XJL Ultimate's, with that console that kind of extends behind the front seats and separates the two passenger seats. There's a similar one in the Rapide, and in the Fisker Karma if I recall well (by the way, why not a Fisker? They look a little strange, but hey, that could grow on me).
But isn't the XJL Ultimate a car to be chauffeured in?

The Ferrari FF really looks good, the interior isn't bad either. Do you think that when cruising at low (60-90 mph) speeds on the highway, the sound of the engine wouldn't disturb me?
Same question for the California.

The S6? Well, it doesn't seem bad, I like the S8 better, though (I don't mind the hugeness). The RS7 also looks good, but I guess the engine sound is too annoying. Either way, I didn't reallly consider Audi, they're not my favorite. Except the R8 GT which I love, but that's out of question.

A Continental GT SuperSports, you say? Indeed, it looks great in the inside and outside and performs well. I'll test drive it too. What do you think of the Flying Spur and Mulsanne?

EDIT: What about the Nissan GT-R Egoist? Sure, it's not a very elegant car, but it looks both fun and comfortable. Unless the suspension is bad.

Last edited by Indigo; 02-06-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:30 PM
The gtr would Not be right for you- fast, but relatively unrefined and firm suspension.
Given your budget - the Bentley continental gt (it also comes in a v8 now) would make a lot of sense. The Aston rapide would also work well for you. The other bentley's you mentioned (mulsanne,etc) are more luxury oriented.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:27 PM
ivory8 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Indigo
My price range is >400k, shouldn't be a problem. The MP4's interior doesn't look as good as expected, after a closer look. I like the M600 better, but after looking at a few YouTube videos, I doubt I could daily drive that.
In fact, my favorite interior is the XJL Ultimate's, with that console that kind of extends behind the front seats and separates the two passenger seats. There's a similar one in the Rapide, and in the Fisker Karma if I recall well (by the way, why not a Fisker? They look a little strange, but hey, that could grow on me).
But isn't the XJL Ultimate a car to be chauffeured in?

The Ferrari FF really looks good, the interior isn't bad either. Do you think that when cruising at low (60-90 mph) speeds on the highway, the sound of the engine wouldn't disturb me?
Same question for the California.

The S6? Well, it doesn't seem bad, I like the S8 better, though (I don't mind the hugeness). The RS7 also looks good, but I guess the engine sound is too annoying. Either way, I didn't reallly consider Audi, they're not my favorite. Except the R8 GT which I love, but that's out of question.

A Continental GT SuperSports, you say? Indeed, it looks great in the inside and outside and performs well. I'll test drive it too. What do you think of the Flying Spur and Mulsanne?

EDIT: What about the Nissan GT-R Egoist? Sure, it's not a very elegant car, but it looks both fun and comfortable. Unless the suspension is bad.
Yes, traditionally any "L"(long) car like the A8L or the XJL are cars to be chauffeured in.

I don't have an experience with the Flying Spur or Mulsanne, but these days the Ferrari's have staged exhaust, where they are very quiet below 4,000 RPM and then after 4,000 RPM the exhaust valves open up and it gets much louder. You would have to test drive one to see if the engine noise would be too loud for you. here is a great review of one for daily driving, done by the owner of EVO magazine.

my vote goes for the Ferrari FF, the Continental GT(Whichever version you'd like), or the new Aston Martin Vanquish - It's just plain beautiful

And I don't have any info on that special edition GTR, but the gtr's have a reputation for having a stiff ride.

Last edited by ivory8; 02-06-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Forget the Vanquish, if you are going to go AM, go all the way and get the Vanquish R or that DBS with all the scoops. Gorgeous car and sounds awesome at full tilt.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:21 AM
Alright.

The Continental GT seems like the most reasonable choice, indeed. The Aston Rapide seems a little (too) sporty, I'll have to test drive it first. Same thing for the Vanquish. Might seem contradictory, but I prefer the FF.

If the XJL is a car to be chauffeured in, that must mean it is more passenger oriented than driver oriented? I'll have to test drive it too, to see if it's pleasant. Same thing for the Mulsanne.

Now, I'm seriously considering the Continental and it might be my final choice. I won't buy it right away, though, but try to test some other cars first, as I said.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Hmmm... if the Continental is a contender, how about the RR Ghost?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Searching for fast, comfortable daily driver