Sponsored by:

My most useful mod...Dash Clock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:13 PM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
My most useful mod...Dash Clock

OK - this is a silly post but my most useful. Depending on the screens you have up on the car there are no clocks displayed at certain times.

Seeing that I will never use the race timer I decided that would be a great spot for a clock.

The short summary is - buy a Movado Travel Alarm Clock and put a very very very small piece of double back tape on it and stick it onto the bezel of the race timer. Done. It is the exact diameter of the race timer and has a black rubber body so there are no rattles.

Feel like going to the track just pull it off.

$90 on Amazon and eBay.

Here are a few pics.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:28 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Why don't you just change the settings via the PCM so that the dash clock functions as a clock?

Old 09-28-2010, 09:30 PM
dhh
OK - I am laughing as I read this...at myself. You can really do that? Walking into the garage now.....

Just looked - there is no way to make that sport timer a clck. As for the PCM display itself - there are certain screens that the time is not displayed on and the same goes for the custom display in the dash gauges

Last edited by dhh; 09-28-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:44 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Yeah...I was wondering if I was missing something...didn't want to come off as an a$$. Forgot how to do it, but I think it's in the dashboard display settings, not the PCM. Check your owners manual if you can't figure it out through the dashboard settings menu.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:12 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
it would be interesting if that clock would fit the sports cars as well. that eyeball on the dash is kind of stupid looking

Old 09-29-2010, 07:17 PM
dhh
I bet it would fit. It is really the perfect spot for a clock. There is no way that you wouldn't know it wasn't stock until you pull it off.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Siswati is just really niceSiswati is just really niceSiswati is just really niceSiswati is just really nice
Yup
in the settings, set your race timer to the clock function. As soon as you revert to the race timer if functions as the race timer stop watch. As soon as you are out of the race timer function it goes back to being a clock

Old 09-29-2010, 07:42 PM
dhh
OK - I can't figure how that would work with setting the race timer in the PCM to the clock setting. There is that giant second hand and then that super small hour hand in the center on it's own register?

I would go back into the garage and goof around with it but it is at the dealer again for it's 4th replacement PCM.....

OK - found it. Page 148 of owners manual "DISPLAYING TIME IN STOPWATCH ON DASHBOARD”

Select

> “

Vehicle

> “

Settings

> “

Date/Time

Select “Time - Chrono”.

Confirm selection.

Time is displayed.

Time is not displayed.

OK - finallly got my car back after 12 days with the PCM fiasco. I turned on the clock function on the race timer and it is just a little LCD clock in the face of the display which is ompossible to read in the sun.

I'm sticking with my taped on clock.

Last edited by dhh; 10-01-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
that looks nice!

Old 10-05-2010, 08:20 AM
Pheonix has a spectacular aura aboutPheonix has a spectacular aura about
Thanks Didn't know I could have that digital display on it. The digital diplay works fine and I'm sticking with it. Dont want o put double sided tape on the face of the chrono timer. May damage the plastic.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:48 PM
dhh
Actually the small pieces of tape only touch the brushed aluminum housing of the timer on the dash. I was also worried about that also and didn't want it sticking to the plastic lens of the timer either.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:49 AM
CaymenGTS will become famous soon enoughCaymenGTS will become famous soon enough
I'd still prefer the original digital clock over the add-on. just my 2 cents

Old 10-19-2010, 06:39 AM
GFN-911 is on a distinguished road
decent man..... not sure if i would do this on a brand new car but to each there own!!! haha

Old 01-26-2017, 09:50 PM
porscheattic is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you think that would work for a 997?
I have a car without sport chrono and wanted to add without cutting a hole in the dash.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:49 AM
Victory007 is on a distinguished road
I love out of the box mods like this. Great job!