Sponsored by:

PTT issue with differential?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:51 PM
stevelms will become famous soon enough
PTT issue with differential?

Question for the assembled masses.

My 2011 PTT exhibits a behavior when turning sharply at very slow speeds (as in, backing out of a parking space) that I am a bit suprised by. The steering wheel jerks and the front wheels make a slipping noise. This would seem to be the issue of a 4 wheel drive vehicle with locked differentials and the different distances travelled by the inside and outside front tires when turning sharply... The slip I hear/feel is equalizing the wheel positions with a small skid. I would have expected the axle not to be locked in so advanced a car and thus to handle the slip in this situation but I guess I don't know whehter it is supposed to. My RS4 didn't do this for example. Before going to dealer thought I'd ask other's experiences. Maybe it's something else but man the symptoms fit my explanation.

Does everyone experience this? Is it normal or is there something off with my car/tranny?

Old 11-22-2011, 04:17 AM
vkvmd is on a distinguished road
Summer tires when the ambient temperature drops. Almost every car I've owned with low-profile tires has done this. Very loud noise...

Old 11-22-2011, 05:23 AM
Siswati is just really niceSiswati is just really niceSiswati is just really niceSiswati is just really nice
Originally Posted by vkvmd
Summer tires when the ambient temperature drops. Almost every car I've owned with low-profile tires has done this. Very loud noise...
+1,000 - Many posts on this forum and others of similar experiences!

Old 11-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Suretyagent is on a distinguished road
With my PTT I experience this regularly – especially when the tarmac has different amounts of grip between different wheels/tire patch. Example: Turning 90 degrees onto a side street from a stop and accelerating as one of the tires goes over a wet man-hole cover or some loose gravel. Very typical.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:26 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by stevelms
Question for the assembled masses.

My 2011 PTT exhibits a behavior when turning sharply at very slow speeds (as in, backing out of a parking space) that I am a bit suprised by. The steering wheel jerks and the front wheels make a slipping noise. This would seem to be the issue of a 4 wheel drive vehicle with locked differentials and the different distances travelled by the inside and outside front tires when turning sharply... The slip I hear/feel is equalizing the wheel positions with a small skid. I would have expected the axle not to be locked in so advanced a car and thus to handle the slip in this situation but I guess I don't know whehter it is supposed to. My RS4 didn't do this for example. Before going to dealer thought I'd ask other's experiences. Maybe it's something else but man the symptoms fit my explanation.

Does everyone experience this? Is it normal or is there something off with my car/tranny?
Often when I turn and back in to the garage sharply and very slowly the PTT makes this slipping sound. My Audi Q5 doesnt.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:04 PM
versailles is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes it happens to me as well at times, but only when turning very slowly, like when parking sharply. First time it happened i thought I ran over a soda can.