Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Panamera GTS vs 650ix GC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 03:59 PM
SLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to behold
Thoughts on Panamera GTS vs 650ix GC

Anyone have a thoughts around '14 Panamera GTS vs. BMW 650 i xDrive Gran Coupe?

The reality of all of this is .. I live in the Boston metro area and this car will never see the track .. I prefer AWD and actually the looks of both of these cars are growing on me. I realize there is a M6 GC, but I just dig AWD more. I know there are other options Merc E63 S AMG 4 matic and a Audi S8 .. but neither seem to be what I'm thinking about.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:22 PM
MIA997TTBeast will become famous soon enoughMIA997TTBeast will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by SLATETT
Anyone have a thoughts around '14 Panamera GTS vs. BMW 650 i xDrive Gran Coupe?

The reality of all of this is .. I live in the Boston metro area and this car will never see the track .. I prefer AWD and actually the looks of both of these cars are growing on me. I realize there is a M6 GC, but I just dig AWD more. I know there are other options Merc E63 S AMG 4 matic and a Audi S8 .. but neither seem to be what I'm thinking about.
In my very personal opinion, all BMW's are boring, except for the M badged.

The GTS is a completely different car, sportier, more luxurious and a Porsche above all.

I think that very few people will recommend the bimmer, the E class AMG will be a MONSTER when it hits dealers.

I would definitely way for the Merc if I were in your shoes. If I couldn't wait then GTS is a no brainer.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:32 PM
SLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to behold
Honestly - I don't need a monster (used to drive a '09 Cayenne CTTS, not a monster, but no slouch either and NO fun on the Boston pike at rush hour) - neighbor has a E63 AMG (I know, not quite the same) and has been in regularly for service. I like the interior of GTS, but honestly the bimmer looks the part too. Anyone driven both to compare?

Last edited by SLATETT; 07-01-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:04 PM
cole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of light
Go with your gut and with your opening comment....if it's not an "m" badged car, not even worth consideration IMHO. I've owned a number BMW's, most recently trading an '11 E93 'vert for the '13 GTS. Not really a fair comparison, because somewhat night and day comparables (coupe versus sedan, hard top versus drop top, etc)....this GTS, big as it is, you'd swear you are driving a 991 if you never happened to look behind you.

I enjoy it roughly 100x more than the M3, and I enjoyed the ***** out of my M cars...

So, unless you are looking at AMG badged cars, then I would get the P-car based on your needs. I respect the audi brand and drive factor, but other than the R8, I find pretty much all of their exteriors to be lackluster.

Keep us posted

Old 07-02-2013, 03:58 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
I would say thoroughly test both and think about what matters most to you. I was between the 4S and the Gran Sport after having driven/owned 5 BMWs in succession, including an M6. Leaving a 750ix at the time, my requirements as well were all-wheel-drive and a V8. In my case, I thought the 4S surpassed the GS in everything that mattered most to me at the time...power (normally aspirated V8 versus twin-turbo), driving feel and feedback, and interior space and comfort (including a true rear seat). I still like BMWs but, for me, the 4S was an easy decision over the Gran Sport. Both of these cars are unique and very stylish in my opinion, so I can understand why it could be a close call. I think my 4S gives me real choices in driving personality...I have the Chrono and PASM packages and I would say that the "Sport" and "Sport Plus" features offer a much vastly different driving experience than do the "Sport" and "Sport+" features of the GS. The GTS has to be even better. I would consider plusses for the Gran Sport to include BMW's very favorable leasing and the built-in maintenance package. I don't like run flat tires even though my experiences with them haven't been all that terrible. As an aside, a lot of the Boston area BMW owners on the BMW forum I visit have had absolutely lousy luck with these tires.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:43 AM
cvprez will become famous soon enough
The gran coupe looks wonderful, but the back seat is useless. If you need a back seat the panamera actually works! Not as big as a 750 or s class but more spacious then the midsize guys (5 series, audi 6's, merc e-class). If you don't need the backseat and just prefer the looks of a 4 door it would be a nice choice. The other car you might want to consider is the A7 it actually is comparable in space to the panamera and obviously has AWD and is a pretty car in its own way. All this being said, I love my panamera, I've never bought 2 of the same cars back to back and I just traded my 2010 turbo for a 2012 turbo s I like it that much as a DD

Old 07-03-2013, 06:14 AM
umwolverine will become famous soon enoughumwolverine will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by cvprez
The gran coupe looks wonderful, but the back seat is useless. If you need a back seat the panamera actually works! Not as big as a 750 or s class but more spacious then the midsize guys (5 series, audi 6's, merc e-class). If you don't need the backseat and just prefer the looks of a 4 door it would be a nice choice. The other car you might want to consider is the A7 it actually is comparable in space to the panamera and obviously has AWD and is a pretty car in its own way. All this being said, I love my panamera, I've never bought 2 of the same cars back to back and I just traded my 2010 turbo for a 2012 turbo s I like it that much as a DD
I would agree on the back seat comment. If you want to transport more than 3 or 4 good sized people in comfort, the panny is incredible. From a looks standpoint, I have to say the Panny generates incredible attention. Yes, it may not look great in some photo angles, but on the road it generates more positive comments than any car I've driven.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:50 AM
95% of the time it is just me and for those days, my Cayman S BE fits the bill .. so .. I am heavily leaning to the GTS .. have not seem to find a local dealer that has a '14 GTS allocation yet