Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM occasionally freezes and restarts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:37 PM
timelinex is infamous around these parts
PCM occasionally freezes and restarts

I've owned this car for about two months, and in that time the PCM has frozen and then restarted (with the car on), 3 or 4 times. My warranty is expiring in a couple months, so I wanted to know is this a sign of something going bad, or does it happen to everyone on occasion?

By frozen, I mean the navi screen and in-speedo screen stops responding for a couple seconds, and then shuts off and reboots. Usually everything is fine again after that.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:08 PM
boswell1037 is infamous around these parts
take it to the dealer that happened to me a couple of times and after they updated the pcm and knock on wood all is good so far.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Unfortunately mine already has the most updated version.

I would rather not go to dealer if it's normal and I don't have to. It's 45 min out of the way, so it's a big hassle. I had to go back and forth literally 6+ times in the last month. Plus, you know how it goes, especially with German cars. Come in with 1 problem, Leave with 2.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !
drop it off and leave it there until they can diagnose it and replace it under warranty.
you may get a whole new nav unit and who knows what else which will be good.

record it on your iphone next time its happening so you have a video to show the service adviser when you drop off the car.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:20 PM
It happens randomly and very rarely. I won't ever be able to reproduce on command. It's so rare that my issue isn't that it's happening, rather if it's a sign of something breaking.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:11 AM
phil612 is infamous around these parts
If it's bothering you and it's frequent then go to the dealer, the last thing you need is it failing altogether.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !
I know you can't do it on command, but next time it happens, try and catch it on video.
Then drop it off at the dealer and do not take it back until its fixed. If this is factory warranty, they need to fix it -- you may even have a lemon law case if it's there long enough.
If you happen to have a video to show them, then you are fully justified to just lit it sit at their service department until they find the cause and repair it - then if it takes 1 month or 2, you can even ask Porsche for reimbursement of your payments (if you are with Porsche Financial).

You either care enough to make sure it's taken care of before warranty expires which means you will need to be aggressive or you can just live with it.

No, it is not normal at all. Your hard drive or maybe the processor or memory may be dying, which may necessitate a complete NAV replacement head unit when it finally dies which I assume will be at the $3K mark plus labor.

Last edited by Fantasma; 12-19-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:05 PM
cole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of light
I think you would be smart to take it in It clearly is not "normal" I have a '13 GTS, and mine functions now, and always has, perfectly touch screen and all

Old 12-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the advice. I called and scheduled an appt for earliest available time, which is the 30th!

He said it's a known issue and they just re flash the pcm and that's it. I already have the newest pcm version and it's not like it started happening after the last flash or something. Does that sound about right?

Last edited by timelinex; 12-19-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:12 PM
BOOMER7 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by timelinex
Thanks for the advice. I called and scheduled an appt for earliest available time, which is the 30th!

He said it's a known issue and they just replace the pcm and that's it. I already have the newest pcm version and it's not like it started happening after the last flash or something. Does that sound about right?

Who's is your advisor? Mark Williams at Scottsdale?

Old 12-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by BOOMER7
Who's is your advisor? Mark Williams at Scottsdale?
Yea! Why?

He's great.... But overall porsche reliability has been disappointing..

Old 12-24-2013, 02:06 PM
s4orce666 is infamous around these parts
My 2010 PTT has similar issues. It happens quite randomly and sometimes frequently. I couldn't find a specific way to trigger it. I took it back to the dealership a couple of times but they said they couldn't see anything in the log. They did reflash the PCM but it's still doing it. I am on version 2.45 and they say it's the most current version available for my car. I thought most people here are on version 3 or 3.1? Is it because my car is a MY2010?

Old 12-26-2013, 01:26 AM
forgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really nice
I had the same problem, which was not reproducible. Luckily, that car s gone.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:25 AM
It hasn't happened in the last week at all, and I've been driving frequently... So I think I'm gonna cancel my appt on Monday. I'm guessing Ira just a software bug that gets triggered when a specific sequence happens...

Old 12-29-2013, 06:54 PM
forgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really nice
Don't cancel that appointment. Get it documented. It may throw an error code.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PCM occasionally freezes and restarts