Sponsored by:

Noise from wheel area during low speed turns

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 10:13 AM
mcho3 is on a distinguished road
Noise from wheel area during low speed turns

Hi guys,
I just purchased a 2010 pan 4s and have couple questions for you experts.
When i am making a very slow sharp turns, i hear a "thumping" or noise from wheel area. Is this normal, it almost feels like my tires are rolling over. Is this a normal sound?

Old 12-20-2013, 10:52 AM
cole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of light
Very normal (at least to mine) I have a '13 GTS, so both are AWD,and I believe it has something to do with that ONLY happens on extremely, slow, and tight turns

Old 12-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by cole328
Very normal (at least to mine) I have a '13 GTS, so both are AWD,and I believe it has something to do with that ONLY happens on extremely, slow, and tight turns
Every time i get out of my garage it sounds like my car is getting a "chiropractic ajustments". thud thud thud... it sounds like something is going to break off.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:20 AM
cole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of light
that def does not sound like my situation id take it in

Old 12-20-2013, 07:51 PM
wassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of light
I have a 2wd and mine does the same thing. In fact, in addition to that, and my wife commented on this tonight from the passenger seat, my drivetrain has something caught in it somewhere. it's not quite a tire balance issue, but a rather thump, rough drive. best way to describe is I feel it in steering wheel, gas pedal and seat.. i guarantee it's not a balance issue at all. not the same.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:19 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Just a WAG but it reads like the front tires, make that tire, the inside tire during a sharp slow speed turn is skipping/scrubbing. During a turn the inside tire's degree of turn is not quite right for the sharpness of the turn and because it is less loaded than the outside tire and the tire tread doesn't make full contact with the pavement -- see below for more on this -- the inside tire skips/scrubs.

I've never driven a Pano but both my Boxster and Turbo do this. Colder weather, cold tires, old tires with lots of heat cycles (makes the rubber like plastic) do this.

If you want someplace where you have some room turn the steering wheel full lock then shut off the engine and get out and sight the front tires. The inside tire I think you'll see does not make full contact with the pavement, while the outside tire's tread does.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:25 AM
macster,
Thank you for your insight to this issue.
It does sound like traction control is getting activated or something similar.
I talked to my dealer and told me that it is normal but it just sounds "wrong"

Old 12-21-2013, 11:46 AM
erekcat,
Thank you for the video! It is exactly what my dealer told me it was doing. Adjusting for the camber... But still don't like it.... I better have the music on little louder when starting the car in the morning or just get a exhaust system to cover up the noise

Old 12-21-2013, 12:26 PM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
lots of threads on this - here is best summary from this thread

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2675931

I have that same problem...it deals with the tires and their contraction in cold weather...there was a post in another thread that explained it...no need to worry, all is well.

Normal. These cars have lots of front wheel caster. As a result when front wheels turned sharply the inside tire is not flat on the ground.

You can verify this yourself. Pull car into a spot in an empty parking lot with steering wheel turned full lock. Shut off engine. Not good for steering pump/etc to have wheel turned full lock and engine idling.

Get out of car and get down low in front of car and look at front tires and their contact with pavement. You'll see the inside front tire's contact patch is maybe half of what the outside tire's contact patch.

Anyhow, when tires are cold, wheels sharply turned that inner wheel will skip cause it doesn't have as much traction as outside wheel/tire which has full contact with pavement and has some additional loading due to weight transfer.

Backing up or going forward.

This skipping is the clicking noise you refer to. It can also feel like the steering wheel is shuddering/shaking a bit.

Disclaimer: As long as tire wear normal and even, car exhibits no other signs of steering/suspension/tire/wheel problems the symptom you describe is an artifact of the car's steering/suspension settings and is normal.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:51 PM
DHH,
Thanks for reconfirming erecat!

Old 12-21-2013, 05:32 PM
DNICE357 is on a distinguished road
Cool Glad to see this post, thought I was crazy...

I have a 2010 S with 19inch rims, and I was hearing the same noise when backing up out of my garage or going over speed bumps. Took it to the dealer twice, first time they tightened the front sway bar, sound came back in a matter of weeks, second time they adjusted front suspension, can't remember exactly what but it seemed to resolve the problem, but the noise returned in a few weeks. I only drive my Panny on the weekends, but every time I took it back I felt like they thought I was crazy, although they did "fix" something. No one ever said it was a "common" noise for all Panny's and it wasn't that my suspension was falling apart!! After the last time I just figured I just deal with it, it's for sure annoying but as long as I know it's nothing mechanical I'm cool. I'm hoping they fixed this little issue with the newer Panny's

Old 01-03-2014, 11:11 AM
UPDATE,
The noise is gone.
I just put new snow tires on and alignment completed.
I saw that do to bad alignment my tires were bad which was loosing traction during low speed sharp turns. But so far, no problem with the noise. will keep you guys updated.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:22 PM
DJF911 is on a distinguished road
rear diff thump grind etc

Guys this was same symptoms with my cayenne S 2011 with ptv. At low speeds the PTV is still activated and fouling the rear diff. In the cayenne, there's a software update witch turns off ptv under ten Mph. If your rear diff has been taxed too long it will not fix with update so my dealership completely replaced my rear diff along with update and proble completely solved. I'm nervous my GTS could develope same issues. I occasional notice weird sensations like this with slow k turns in my driveway.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:50 PM
wassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of light
I so t know if my noises are the same as yours but I took to dealer in Friday, drove with both service manager and shop foreman. The good news is they both heard just about everything and at one point when I asked the service manager if he heard a specific noise his reply was "yep, and a boatload of other noises too". They had no idea where t was coming from but there were brake, tranny and what seems like suspension noises on top of all the interior and hatch noises. Update as of last night was they were replacing upper control arms at this point. I was told this will be trial and error and "if" they can fix it they will. They asked if I'd be willing to swing by every few days to test drive and narrow down the list. I gladly obliged and appreciate their effort. Thanks to the forums and these threads I was able to point out a possible solution with control arms, drop links and bushing. The loaner I am in ('14 base) does have the clicking starting from stop and stopping. Must be "normal vehicle operation". Just very annoying and shouldn't be there. Thanks for all your help guys/gals.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:25 PM
Nwills is on a distinguished road
You should hear (and feel) the noise, grinding and skipping in my Lamborghini Gallardo! When the front diff warms up it's a little less extreme. It's inherent to the all wheel drive systems under full turn at low speeds.

It worried me a lot when I first got the Lamborghini but I learned to live with it after it was confirmed that this is normal behavior for this vehicle.

I haven't experienced it yet in my 2014 PGTS. I'll try and maneuver a slow turn with the wheel fully turned and report back.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Noise from wheel area during low speed turns