Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Panamera 4S or GTS, a few pre-purchase questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 02:49 PM
uniquest is on a distinguished road
2015 Panamera 4S or GTS, a few pre-purchase questions.

I owned a 2014 Panamera 4S for seven months before I totaled it when a deer came running out of the ditch and hit me head on. Survived that with a broken wrist and arm and now it's time to replace it.

Exhaust Sound
With the GTS when the Sports Exhaust isn't on does it sound more normal like a regular motor? That's why I didn't get the GTS last time, I have to take clients out occasionally and need a car that's reasonably low key when it needs to be.

Ride Difference
Does the GTS have a stiffer ride than the 4S in normal settings? Or can they be adjusted to ride the same? I would get the air suspension on either vehicle.

Turbo-lag
Am I correct on this assumption ... some claim turbo lag is a thing of the past in late-model performance cars but if I had to say one thing about my last Panamera 4S with the six-cylinder twin turbo motor I did notice some hesitation / turbo-lag. When you step on the gas it takes a moment before you feel that thrust of acceleration and sometimes by the time the acceleration is there it's time to slow down again. I own a Cayenne S with the eight cylinder motor the power is always there when you step on the gas it seems...

Such a tough decision, thanks for any input.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:52 PM
Gus_Smedstad is on a distinguished road
Seems like you should be able to get your questions answered at the dealership with a test ride of each car. Or at least a test of the GTS, since you know the 4S. I know you've been unhappy with your dealership from your post on Rennlist, but surely they'll do a test drive.

A month ago I started driving a Cayman S, developing 325 HP with a normally aspirated engine, after driving a Toyota Supra Turbo, developing 320 HP with twin turbochargers. The difference was significant, there was a lot of obvious low-speed torque with the NA engine that I didn't experience with the turbo. Obviously this was with a much older car, but you say you noticed the 4S lag.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:19 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
Seems like you should be able to get your questions answered at the dealership with a test ride of each car. Or at least a test of the GTS, since you know the 4S. I know you've been unhappy with your dealership from your post on Rennlist, but surely they'll do a test drive.

A month ago I started driving a Cayman S, developing 325 HP with a normally aspirated engine, after driving a Toyota Supra Turbo, developing 320 HP with twin turbochargers. The difference was significant, there was a lot of obvious low-speed torque with the NA engine that I didn't experience with the turbo. Obviously this was with a much older car, but you say you noticed the 4S lag.
I test drove a 2014 panny s and loved that engine. Very minimal lag to me. I would think you'd have very good low end grunt, at least that was my observation.

FWIW the Panamera turbo has more lag and you have to get into it more to get the response.

The GTS has 20 more hp than 4s, and also rides lower than any other panny. Therefore it does have a more direct and sporty drive even in normal mode. Air susp is std. GTS intake noise is pumped in thru a pillars as well.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:24 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by uniquest
I owned a 2014 Panamera 4S for seven months before I totaled it when a deer came running out of the ditch and hit me head on. Survived that with a broken wrist and arm and now it's time to replace it.

Exhaust Sound
With the GTS when the Sports Exhaust isn't on does it sound more normal like a regular motor? That's why I didn't get the GTS last time, I have to take clients out occasionally and need a car that's reasonably low key when it needs to be.

Ride Difference
Does the GTS have a stiffer ride than the 4S in normal settings? Or can they be adjusted to ride the same? I would get the air suspension on either vehicle.

Turbo-lag
Am I correct on this assumption ... some claim turbo lag is a thing of the past in late-model performance cars but if I had to say one thing about my last Panamera 4S with the six-cylinder twin turbo motor I did notice some hesitation / turbo-lag. When you step on the gas it takes a moment before you feel that thrust of acceleration and sometimes by the time the acceleration is there it's time to slow down again. I own a Cayenne S with the eight cylinder motor the power is always there when you step on the gas it seems...

Such a tough decision, thanks for any input.
Having owned various GTS variants, turbos and now the 4S I might be able to shed some light....

Considering all cars are equal, the NA motor (GTS) will naturally make more exhaust noise then a turbo motor. This is true with the 997 variants I have driven and this has been been true to my finding within the Panamera models as well. Inside the cabin the GTS and 4S will sound pretty close but on the outside, I think the GTS will exude a far sexier exhaust noise which you may or may not want.

Most say that the GTS ride is liveable with everyday driving however I drive 110 miles daily and found that it is not. After a couple failed attempts at making GTS's my daily drivers I have decided that I will have to go with the S variants or turbo to accomodate my suspension needs. The lowered suspension, the difference in rebound rates just is not compliant enough for me for these long distance hauls. Also, I had a gf at the time (now ex) who would not ride in any of my GTS cars because of the less then civilized ride over less then perfect pavement. I would have to agree with her. Air suspension is not the problem, it is the difference in rebound rates and suspension setup. The GTS is a setup to be less forgiving and more intuitive to handling needs especially at the limit.

I really wish our 4S's had the NA motor that the GTS has. I used to own a Panamera Turbo and now the Panamera 4S and the turbo lag is still there. Very noticeable I might add.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:47 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Fkim011

Having owned various GTS variants, turbos and now the 4S I might be able to shed some light....

Considering all cars are equal, the NA motor (GTS) will naturally make more exhaust noise then a turbo motor. This is true with the 997 variants I have driven and this has been been true to my finding within the Panamera models as well. Inside the cabin the GTS and 4S will sound pretty close but on the outside, I think the GTS will exude a far sexier exhaust noise which you may or may not want.

Most say that the GTS ride is liveable with everyday driving however I drive 110 miles daily and found that it is not. After a couple failed attempts at making GTS's my daily drivers I have decided that I will have to go with the S variants or turbo to accomodate my suspension needs. The lowered suspension, the difference in rebound rates just is not compliant enough for me for these long distance hauls. Also, I had a gf at the time (now ex) who would not ride in any of my GTS cars because of the less then civilized ride over less then perfect pavement. I would have to agree with her. Air suspension is not the problem, it is the difference in rebound rates and suspension setup. The GTS is a setup to be less forgiving and more intuitive to handling needs especially at the limit.

I really wish our 4S's had the NA motor that the GTS has. I used to own a Panamera Turbo and now the Panamera 4S and the turbo lag is still there. Very noticeable I might add.
Yeah, I guess it's a matter of perspective. Having had two 997's and now a 991, going to a panny GTS is like a walk in the park as far as ride/compliance. I personally prefer a little harder edge, and keep in mind Cincinnati roads are not the best. I find the GTS to be just right but of course it's a matter of preference.

Sound-wise, you can't beat the NA in the GTS and inside the cabin I found to be much different too due to the a pillars. When I test drove the GTS I was actually laughing it was so much fun.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:53 AM
NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !
I find your comments about the rough suspension of the GTS puzzling. If I'm going over bad roads (and I think we have even worse roads on average here in Northern California) I put the suspension in its softest setting. The car glides over them extremely comfortably. Perhaps it's a tire or tire pressure issue?

I've also found that I get virtually no driver fatigue over long distances. Getting out of the car after several hours of driving feels like I just got up from my living room couch. Even after 11 hours straight (with two short stops for gas/food) I found the car completely comfortable.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:00 PM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
Anytime you firm up the ride and lose suspension travel like the GTS has, it is only natural that it will ride harsher then one with standard air suspension like the Turbo or regular S variants. The GTS sacrifices ride comfort for a more raw, intuitive steering input/output.

Where the regular air suspension will absorb imperfections at a greater rate, the GTS suspension will more then likely have a little more bounce to it them absorbing it. For most this is OK. But the OP asks which is more comfortable and do they ride the same. The answer is no and I was simply explaining the difference in my opinion. I never said it was something uncomfortable but if you are comparing suspensions like the OP is then the the variants other the GTS takes the cake for comfort.

Last edited by Fkim011; 09-27-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:07 PM
Anytime you firm up the ride and lose suspension travel like the GTS has, it is only natural that it will ride harsher then one with standard air suspension like the Turbo or regular S variants. The GTS sacrifices ride comfort for a more raw, intuitive steering input/output.

Where the regular air suspension will absorb imperfections at a greater rate, the GTS suspension will more then likely have a little more bounce to it them absorbing it. For most this is OK. But the OP asks which is more comfortable and do they ride the same. The answer is no and I was simply explaining the difference in my opinion. I never said it was something uncomfortable but if you are comparing suspensions like the OP is then the the variants other the GTS takes the cake for comfort.
When I test drove a 2012 turbo s with no PDCC, I found the steering to be pretty numb and the entire body to be kinda floaty...GTS much better feel IMO.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:14 AM
umwolverine will become famous soon enoughumwolverine will become famous soon enough
To greatly improve the ride, take the tire pressure down to 36psi. If you're not routinely driving 100 mph plus, you don't need the 40+psi numbers that the dealers use. I believe the default tire pressure alarm is the 'performance' setting. You can change it to 'comfort' and drop the pressure significantly.

Last edited by umwolverine; 10-03-2014 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:29 PM
hlee1169 will become famous soon enough
I recently purchased a 2015 Panamera GTS and found the suspension to be very compliant in soft mode, and if you use the comfort tire setting as documented in the manual, it's even softer. I also test drove the turbo version prior to purchase and found the ride in the turbo to more plush, but GTS is by no means "rough".

Also, my GTS comes with Pirelli P Zero N1, the summer tires. Maybe all season tires could make a bigger difference in this case.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:32 PM
P4S2010 is on a distinguished road
I owned a 4S for three years and have had a GTs for about 18 months now - I really haven't noticed much of a difference in the ride between the two cars. I usually drive the car w/sports mode and the exhaust off - and in that mode it is a respectable, comfortable drive and definitely not loud. The GTS has little more acceleration but really not that noticeable a difference. For me - the GTS and 4S price points were pretty close. The GTS was easier (less effort, fewer decisions) to order as it had most of the features that I wanted. Regarding harshness of ride - my guess it is more related to the tires on the car.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:55 PM
Global Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to behold
Old 10-05-2014, 08:38 AM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
ride differences

I have a 2014 GTS with the active sway bar. The ride is not harsh by any means and I believe the active sway bar might improve the right a bit on uneven surfaces when not cornering. I did noticed less head toss relative to the P4 I had previously. Anyway, the lighter unsprung weight from the brake rotors would probably make the S model feel like a better ride over large bumps. It would be an interesting experiment to run a GTS or Turbo with the PCCBs over the same bumpy road to see how significantly the unsprung weight reduction helps the ride (feel less trucky)?. It might be fairly significant. Of course the only smooth roads in my area are around the dealerships.

I agree, the tire and tire pressure are also significant. Lot of variables!

Old 10-06-2014, 03:49 AM
Sid007 is on a distinguished road
I have a 2013 Panamera GTS. Bought 2013 over the 2014 to avoid the turbo lag issue. I had a Panamera S before that, preceded by a string of 911's. The beauty of the GTS is it can be a sedate S when you want (sports exhaust turned off/sports and sports+ mode turned off and comfort tire setting) or a hard breathing 911 4S when you want. I usually drive with sports exhaust on and in sports mode, even for daily commutes. She puts a smile on my face. If cost is not an issue, get the GTS.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Sid007
I have a 2013 Panamera GTS. Bought 2013 over the 2014 to avoid the turbo lag issue. I had a Panamera S before that, preceded by a string of 911's. The beauty of the GTS is it can be a sedate S when you want (sports exhaust turned off/sports and sports+ mode turned off and comfort tire setting) or a hard breathing 911 4S when you want. I usually drive with sports exhaust on and in sports mode, even for daily commutes. She puts a smile on my face. If cost is not an issue, get the GTS.
All GTS' are V8. No Turbo's. Could have bought the 2014.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2015 Panamera 4S or GTS, a few pre-purchase questions.