Sponsored by:

Pan 4 versus Pan 4S - Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:35 AM
OntheFly is on a distinguished road
Pan 4 versus Pan 4S - Daily Driver

Hi folks -

New guy here on 6spdonline. Avid BMW guy until now.

I've got my sights set on a lightly used Panamera because I am 20-25k a year mileage wise so thinking it's the best use of capital to get one with some depreciation out of the deal.

Thinking 2012 Panny 4 or 4s. Interested to hear opinions on the differences.

I've tried to make the move to 911 twice now, I'm a tall guy and just never felt comfortable with seat arrangement and ride. I'm assuming the Panamera has larger more comfortable seating but wanted to verify before I go up to take a drive (dealer is about 30 miles for us).

Lastly, can a local independent who specializes in Porsche handle the Panamera same as 911's?

Is CPO the way to go on these? in other words, are they seeing issues where you definitely would want some extended warranty?

Thanks in advance for you input. OTF

Old 11-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
I would do the S because of the standard equipment list that I would click on the option box anyway if I were to order. The big thing to me is the PASM being standard, the bigger ump in the engine and the 5 gallon bigger fuel tank that comes with the S makes it a more convenient daily driver.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:03 PM
PaBond is on a distinguished road
OTF - I am presently considering the same thing you are. From reading this forum and others, I am leaning toward the 4S [power and options, as Fkim011 said] and definitely a CPO!

Old 11-22-2014, 07:55 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by PaBond
OTF - I am presently considering the same thing you are. From reading this forum and others, I am leaning toward the 4S [power and options, as Fkim011 said] and definitely a CPO!
4S Is a nice upgrade over base 4. In fact I'd go with the TTV6 at 420 hp because you get more low end grunt. Really fun car with sport exhaust.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:11 PM
LBK
LBK will become famous soon enough
I currently have a 997.2 (2009) C4S and just purchased a 2012 Panamera 4S that was CPO as my daily driver.

It drives like the 911 but is heavier and has much more room. Since I have PSE on my 911 and am using it for my DD, PSE was not really something I took into consideration. I also didn't opt for Chrono Sport as I also have that in my 911.

I would definitely go with the S over the base 4. Otherwise, you will always be 2nd guessing yourself and looking to upgrade (or maybe that is just my personality but I think that is most often the case). The S models are more in demand - especially the prior models as they have a V8 and the new ones have a V6.

Good luck in your quest!

You can go to Porsche's website do to a search for pre-owned cars, cargurus.com or EBAY.

Here is one that I found, got the build sheet and carfax but wanted navy blue. Otherwise, I would have strongly considered it.

http://porscheofsouthampton.com/cert...48605/info.php

Old 11-24-2014, 12:56 PM
Former Vendor
HOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Hands down, 4S. You won't regret it.

And any good independent shop with the latest Porsche goodies should be able to take care of you just fine. We are able to work on even the TTV6s - but we also have the Factory PIWIS2 scantools. Check with your local shop if they have those otherwise they may run into issues.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:33 PM
NewTurboMan is just really niceNewTurboMan is just really niceNewTurboMan is just really niceNewTurboMan is just really nice
Considered the same before buying my 2011 4S. Drive them both, really big difference in how they drive.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:14 PM
nick.kapoor is on a distinguished road
I say why stop at 4s go to PTT. I moved from a 4s to ptt. Then again why stop at ptt go with a ptt with mods. Damn, this thing never ends. lol

Old 11-26-2014, 09:03 PM
Banned
Logimind is on a distinguished road
I have been checking on fuel economy of v6 and v8. They are both ar 16.5.. So go with the "s" since it has more hp.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:29 AM
OntheFly is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the great replies to my original question. Hugely helpful and definitely has me pointed to 4S.

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on reliability/cost to maintain the 8 cylinder S engine? Not a huge concern to me, just looking to see what others have experienced so far. I understand the german car concept, "if you want to play, you have to pay!" (stole that from my mechanic on my first BMW over 25 years ago!).

I'm likely to be putting 20k a year on this, it really will be daily driver. So, what are people seeing for mileage with this car - Really interested more in highway numbers as my use is probably 80-90% highway. I suspect it is significantly better than the 16.5 mpg previous poster is seeing (assume that to more around town start/stop use).

Last question, in your opinion is it a comfortble car for a long trip for a big driver? I'm planning to take a test drive tomorrow to get the process going.

Thanks to all - and Happy Thanksgiving.

OTF

Old 11-28-2014, 12:37 PM
Former Vendor
HOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Reliability has been pretty solid from what we've seen, as long as you keep up with the oil change/Minor/Major schedule you should be fine. I'd probably do the oil changes a bit more frequently if you are planning on keeping the vehicle -but no major failures that we've seen!

I feel like this is a perfect long road trip car. We've recently had a customer purchase one and drove it from Texas to California and loved every minute of it.

- Jason

Originally Posted by OntheFly
Thanks for all the great replies to my original question. Hugely helpful and definitely has me pointed to 4S.

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on reliability/cost to maintain the 8 cylinder S engine? Not a huge concern to me, just looking to see what others have experienced so far. I understand the german car concept, "if you want to play, you have to pay!" (stole that from my mechanic on my first BMW over 25 years ago!).

I'm likely to be putting 20k a year on this, it really will be daily driver. So, what are people seeing for mileage with this car - Really interested more in highway numbers as my use is probably 80-90% highway. I suspect it is significantly better than the 16.5 mpg previous poster is seeing (assume that to more around town start/stop use).

Last question, in your opinion is it a comfortble car for a long trip for a big driver? I'm planning to take a test drive tomorrow to get the process going.

Thanks to all - and Happy Thanksgiving.

OTF

Old 11-30-2014, 11:23 AM
carsnob is on a distinguished road
Drive the 30 miles to the dealer, for sure get the 4S , because this is a heavy car and you'll want the power to drive it like a Porsche....With your seat all the way back it'll be a bit tight behind you but you'll have plenty of comfort.. Panamera ads show the fact that a six-foot guy can sit comfortably in the backseat. (just not behind you) ...for sure get a CPO warranty as that'll start you off on the right foot...plus as it was mentioned earlier, if you don't. get the 4S you'll wish you did!... i've had many Beemers, and my wife still has an X.3 and my son has a 10-year-old 330 Xi, but I much prefer the PORSCHE brand...I gave up a 911 4S for a Panamerav 4S, with no regrets but I do still miss manual shift and the Cabriolet..(need to have both really).
The Panamera beats a BMW 750 or five series hands-down....enjoy it!

Old 12-06-2014, 09:51 AM
9114Scab will become famous soon enough
I just bought a 2014 Pamamera 4, but, under any circumstances , it is hard to choose a non S over a S.

Take the 4S, why might the non S be better? Gas mileage? Honestly, take the 4S.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:25 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 9114Scab
I just bought a 2014 Pamamera 4, but, under any circumstances , it is hard to choose a non S over a S.

Take the 4S, why might the non S be better? Gas mileage? Honestly, take the 4S.
The twin turbo 6 in the S and 4S IMO are fantastic. Not much lag and great torque. The TTV8 is an animal which I have, still in break-in stage and able to completely destroy most cars even under 4200 RPM. Enough said.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:13 AM
NewTurboMan is just really niceNewTurboMan is just really niceNewTurboMan is just really niceNewTurboMan is just really nice
Oil consumption is the only issue I have had with my 4S. About every 1k miles I need to add a quart.