Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft Failures - Concerning to PTT Shopper?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 12:06 PM
5280PTT is on a distinguished road
Question Camshaft Failures - Concerning to PTT Shopper?

I'm in the market for a newer car and have been doing quite a lot of research on the Panameras the past few months. I am trying to shy away from the other German manufacturers due to bad depreciation and reliability and maintenance costs. But on the surface, it appears Porsche has come out as a leader in performance, luxury, and reliability. However, one thing has me concerned about potentional PTT ownership: engine failures.

It appears that on more than a few occasions, camshaft failures have lead to catastrophic engine damage and subsequent replacement. This appears to be the only black eye in the reliability area of the Panamera that has me spooked.

1. How common is this issue? Model specific (4S, Turbo)?

2. What can prevent these failures in the life of the engine? Is there a root cause?

3. Would purchasing a PTT or 4S with a recently replaced engine give you peace-of-mind?

Thanks, Jeff

Old 02-02-2016, 06:16 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
I am aware of the camshaft phaser issue on turbos and S models. (4.8L V8) but not sure the solenoid would cause catastrophic engine failure. Have you contacted PCNA or a dealer to get more information?

To answer your #3: if I was to purchase a car that has it's engine replaced it would have to be a few things for me to bite. 1-2 owners, stellar price, service history, no ongoing issues, well documented & Porsche CPO (if possible).

Old 02-03-2016, 01:50 PM
I did some more research yesterday after posting those questions and have found more answers under the Cayenne areas than Panamera areas.

Here are some pics to help describe the issue:

The sprocket you see is attached to a camshaft actuator that controls the advancement of the camshaft timing on the intake side. There is one intake camshaft per bank of cylinders. The way in which the sprocket is bolted to the actuator is by way of 4 safety Torx bolts made of some aluminum alloy that are inserted from behind the sprocket.

The problem lies in that over time, these 4 Torx bolts can start to back out. Given enough time, they will back out to the point that the head of the bolt will impact the camshaft cap and subsequently sheer off. One bolt sheering off is probably not the end of the world, but once all of them back out or sheer off, the sprocket is now continually turning but is not actually turning the intake camshaft. Depending on which intake bank has had the failure, the symptoms vary. If you driver side fails, the HPFP is no longer turning so fuel pressure falls to the point where the engine won't run anymore. If the passenger side fails, the vacuum pump stops turning causing a lack of power assist to the vehicle's brakes. The engine will still run on one bank of cylinders, but is obviously down on power.

My thoughts: This is very worrisome. Without taking the engine apart, anybody with a 4.8L V8 in a Cayenne or Panamera is driving a time bomb. I would think, at a minimum, that the best prevention for failure is having a shop replace the Torx bolts with the updated steel bolts and red Loctite. As never having the ability to work on one of these engines, I can deduce that this is a major job, but one that can save $20k+ in repairs down the road.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:33 PM
8ighty1ne is on a distinguished road
I would also like more information on this. I have just acquired a 2011 s model and have read bits and pieces of this camshaft failure issue, with complete engine replacement needed afterwards. Thats not very comforting. Is there a certain VIN range this affected? Is there an inspection procedure?

Old 02-07-2016, 08:47 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 8ighty1ne
I would also like more information on this. I have just acquired a 2011 s model and have read bits and pieces of this camshaft failure issue, with complete engine replacement needed afterwards. Thats not very comforting. Is there a certain VIN range this affected? Is there an inspection procedure?
I'm sure a dealer will have all the information you desire - especially if they have repaired multiple Panameras with this issue.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:53 PM
sterz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8ighty1ne
Not sure if you're still interested but I got a copy of the WC-22, the bulletin regarding the camshaft.

It's only certain vins and the 2011 models; however, I've read about 2011 models which have had the camshaft failure and their vin wasn't included in the bulletin.

I'll post a link to the thread I have the info a little later.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:43 PM
Procera is on a distinguished road
I had the camshaft issue and coolant/thermostat pipes fixed on my 2010 P4S. The camshaft is covered by the 8yr/80k emissions warranty but I had to pay a little to get the coolant/thermostat pipes fixed. I only had the car for 8 months before trading it in on a 2011 Cayenne Turbo but would have liked to keep it longer since I got everything sorted on it. We shall meet again..

Old 06-15-2016, 09:33 PM
robhamster has a spectacular aura aboutrobhamster has a spectacular aura about
I had a 2012 P4S that had total engine failure at 20K miles. The dealership replaced the engine with a new one and never told me exactly what happened but they suspected scored cylinders resulting in loss of compression. The car began using a quart of oil every 250 miles before the failure. At first Porsche said the consumption was "within factory specs". Three days later every light on the dash came on and the car stopped running.

I traded it in on a 2015 PTT last fall and have not looked back yet. Porsche told me that what happened to my car is a very rare occurance, but does happen in the V8 engine in both the Panamera and the Cayenne.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:39 AM
sinister6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi,

Can you please post the link for this bulletin, I am having issues with Camshaft, and would like too see is this is something that is covered by the Porsche.

Thanks

Old 08-05-2016, 06:02 PM
sterz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sinister6
Hi,

Can you please post the link for this bulletin, I am having issues with Camshaft, and would like too see is this is something that is covered by the Porsche.

Thanks
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4524693

Post #34

what issues are you having? did a bolt snap?

Old 08-06-2016, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Procera
I had the camshaft issue and coolant/thermostat pipes fixed on my 2010 P4S. The camshaft is covered by the 8yr/80k emissions warranty but I had to pay a little to get the coolant/thermostat pipes fixed. I only had the car for 8 months before trading it in on a 2011 Cayenne Turbo but would have liked to keep it longer since I got everything sorted on it. We shall meet again..
When I approached Stevinson Porsche here in Colorado about the issue, the service tech actually laughed at me by even suggesting that it would be covered out of warranty on an "emissions issue" reason. I was speaking hypothetically obviously, but the way that dealership treated a design flaw and not owning up to it left me more worried about owning one of these cars. If I do end up buying a 2010 or 2011, I would immediately source the bolts or the whole camshaft sprocket itself and replace them.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:40 AM
I had the same codes
Start/Stop mode deactivated, PSM Failure and Check engine light

and I found this thread where this could be due to the cam adjuster bolt and has been recalled in China for the same problem

http://www.midwestperformancecars.co...f-destruction/

but Porsche doesn't have recall on this in US for the same problem.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:48 PM
my_tom_a is on a distinguished road
I also had the camshaft issue a little over a year ago with my 11' 4S. Mine required a full engine replacement totaling just over 22K in costs. I exceeded the factory warranty and so my extended warranty covered the first 15K. I heard the V8 in 13' and newer vehicles addressed the issue with the Torx bolts. Very frustrating to have to be concerned about a serious problem and not have Porsche take ownership or responsibility for this issue cars shipped to other countries outside of China.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:55 PM
Oh wow... I have a 2011 4S too..how long did you wait when you got the issue? or did something go really bad before you had to change the motor? because mine is still running good, except it shakes in between when I got all those 3 codes.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:03 PM
hammyton is on a distinguished road
I have a 2010 4s and had this camshaft failure which resulted in the entire engine needing to get replaced (under CPO thank god...)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Failures - Concerning to PTT Shopper?