Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Time Used Porsche Buyer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 08:29 PM
ksh937 is an unknown quantity at this point
1st Time Used Porsche Buyer

Hey all, long time reader, first time poster. Love the forums, they've been a great source of info! And, most importantly, they've convinced me to get a Porsche! I've been a lifelong BMW lease-er so 1) Porsche and 2) buying used are both first-time experiences for me. Sorry in advance for any noob questions!

I'm close to buying a used 2012 Panamera Turbo from a non-Porsche dealership. It has about 20k miles and is no longer under warranty. I will use it as my daily driver and will put about 60 miles/day on it M-F (plus whatever else over the weekend). I live in Utah so lots of snow here. I have a few questions...

1. Extended Warranty. Should I get an extended warranty? I got a quote for $5k for a Fidelity Platinum policy for 4 years of 60,000 miles. Are there warranties that cover oil changes (i.e. maintenance)? I've read that an oil change on a Panamera can run around $1000. Thoughts?

2. PPI and Other Pre-Purchase To Do's. I'm getting a PPI tomorrow at a Porsche dealership. They are going to do a paint meter reading too. I was quoted $375 which seems fair from what I've read on the forums. I've also asked for all the service records, but the dealer is saying they can't release those. Any way around this? I don't want the previous owner's personal information, just to see the service done and any issues. The CarFax and AutoCheck are both clean, by the way.

3. Winter. The Panamera comes with two sets of rims so I plan to put summers on one set and winters on the second set. Anything else I should know about winter care? I'll get all season floor mats (of course) and am considering a clear bra (just to be safe, driving through the canyons = lots of rocks). Can I use a regular garden hose to rinse off the salt each day or do I need to do more than that?

4. General Care. From what I've read on the forums, I should hand wash weekly and detail before and after the winter. I should also expect to change the oil annually. Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks so much!

Old 02-13-2017, 11:05 PM
Ride4Life Rossi is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome, I got a 2010 turbo it is my daily. I have put roughly 13000km trouble free. I daily it in winter as I live in Canada, but I purchased the warranty for about 6000$ Canadian that good for 4 years or 80000km. Check the details I got a warranty that covers electronics, air suspension, everything pretty much except regular maintenance. I must say I find the PTT to be very reliable car.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:26 AM
iammulva has a spectacular aura aboutiammulva has a spectacular aura aboutiammulva has a spectacular aura about
I have a 2010 Turbo CPO that i bought at 60k miles. I'm glad I have the warranty. I've never heard of $1000 oil change. I did the last oil change on the car. It's not difficult.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:29 AM
How much do you think an oil change for a PTT cost? The 2 dealerships I've called have said $800 and $1000.

Last edited by XLR82XS; 02-18-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:38 AM
iammulva has a spectacular aura aboutiammulva has a spectacular aura aboutiammulva has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ksh937
How much do you think an oil change for a PTT cost? The 2 dealerships I've called have said $800 and $1000.
Oh god!!! I had no idea... That is just crazy. All you have to do is remove the underbody panel (12 or so screws) and then remove a metal plate (couple more screws) and you have access to both the filter and the drain plug. IIRC, there is a bar in the way that limits your range of motion with the wrench on the filter, but it is still very doable. Filter + oil should run you in the $100 +/- range.

http://www.insanegarage.com/diy-chan...sche-panamera/

Old 02-14-2017, 08:42 AM
bebeqq1231 is on a distinguished road
Oil Change $300-350 at local porsche for my GTS ..I guess it's about the same with Turbo.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:01 AM
bebeqq1231 and iammulva - Thanks for your responses! I have only ever leased cars before so I've never had to pay for an oil change myself. I wonder why the two dealerships quoted me such high amounts...

Old 02-14-2017, 12:52 PM
Any forum members have any thoughts on pre-purchase things to do as well as winter and general car care?

Old 02-15-2017, 10:58 AM
So I got the PPI back and had a few questions.

1. They think the battery is shot, although I disagree. It's a 5 year old car with only 19k miles (of which, 5k were added after April 2014). I just don't think the car was driven much and was jumped once, which is why the Porsche dealership is worried. But how much is a new battery for a 2012 PTT? They quoted me $1000 which seems high, I would've guessed $200-300.

2. Looks like the car hasn't been serviced since 2014. How much is the 20k mile maintenance and what is included in that?

3. The previous owner put on a bunch of aftermarket parts so the Porsche dealership said that any extended warranty claims are likely to get denied. Is this true? Doesn't seem possible, but never had any experience with this before so I have no idea.

4. The car has 21" summer tires on HRE rims at the moment. It also comes with a set of stock Turbo II rims. How much is it to get new winter tires onto the Turbo II rims, and then how much is it to switch the tires each season? Again, sorry for the noob question, but have never had to deal with this before.

Ah, the beauty of leasing where I never had to worry about anything... time to actually become a real car owner, lol! Thanks in advance!

Old 02-16-2017, 08:50 AM
1. You can order OEM parts from dealers online. Or you can buy battery from autozone. I'm not recommending one over the other, but a quick google search shows a dealer selling one for $500.

2. http://files.porsche.com/filestore.a...ault&version=1 prices will vary by dealer and region. If you have more than one dealer near you I would definitely price shop.

3. No one on a forum is going to be able to predict what your extended warranty provider will or won't do in the future. In general, the consensus seems to be that claims should not be denied unless it can be shown that the aftermarket part or modification caused the damage/issue. Best bet is to know what your warranty includes and excludes before you buy it.

4. Call your local tire shop. Another alternative - if you already have two sets of wheels is to keep winter tires on one set and summer on the other. Then you can change your wheels in your garage for free (I assume).

Last edited by iammulva; 02-16-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:20 AM
Thank you iammulva!! Do you get your Porsche serviced at Porsche dealerships only or do you go the independent shop route?

Originally Posted by iammulva
1. You can order OEM parts from dealers online. Or you can buy battery from autozone. I'm not recommending one over the other, but a quick google search shows a dealer selling one for $500.

2. http://files.porsche.com/filestore.a...ault&version=1 prices will vary by dealer and region. If you have more than one dealer near you I would definitely price shop.

3. No one on a forum is going to be able to predict what your extended warranty provider will or won't do in the future. In general, the consensus seems to be that claims should not be denied unless it can be shown that the aftermarket part or modification caused the damage/issue. Best bet is to know what your warranty includes and excludes before you buy it.

4. Call your local tire shop. Another alternative - if you already have two sets of wheels is to keep winter tires on one set and summer on the other. Then you can change your wheels in your garage for free (I assume).

Old 02-16-2017, 10:29 AM
I have CPO for one more year. After that, I'll either DIY or use a mechanic that I trust. That's what I do no matter what car it is.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:30 AM
Jafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to behold
They are absolutely phenomenal cars, but frightening expensive and/ or even maintain (my local Porsche dealer charges $150/hour for labor).
Keep this in mind when you buy a used one - just the 60k service will set you back $2500...

But if they drive, omg it is fabulous!

Old 02-18-2017, 08:23 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
I pay about $200 for my TT from my local indy.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:40 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Hey all, long time reader, first time poster.
I'm close to buying a used 2012 Panamera Turbo from a non-Porsche dealership. It has about 20k miles and is no longer under warranty. I will use it as my daily driver and will put about 60 miles/day on it M-F (plus whatever else over the weekend). I live in Utah so lots of snow here. I have a few questions...

1. Extended Warranty. Should I get an extended warranty? I got a quote for $5k for a Fidelity Platinum policy for 4 years of 60,000 miles. Are there warranties that cover oil changes (i.e. maintenance)? I've read that an oil change on a Panamera can run around $1000. Thoughts?

2. PPI and Other Pre-Purchase To Do's. I'm getting a PPI tomorrow at a Porsche dealership. They are going to do a paint meter reading too. I was quoted $375 which seems fair from what I've read on the forums. I've also asked for all the service records, but the dealer is saying they can't release those. Any way around this? I don't want the previous owner's personal information, just to see the service done and any issues. The CarFax and AutoCheck are both clean, by the way.

3. Winter. The Panamera comes with two sets of rims so I plan to put summers on one set and winters on the second set. Anything else I should know about winter care? I'll get all season floor mats (of course) and am considering a clear bra (just to be safe, driving through the canyons = lots of rocks). Can I use a regular garden hose to rinse off the salt each day or do I need to do more than that?

4. General Care. From what I've read on the forums, I should hand wash weekly and detail before and after the winter. I should also expect to change the oil annually. Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks so much!

Here's some answers...exciting stuff for you. 20k miles isn't much!

1. Extended warranty could be a good idea-keep in mind that the engine and mechanicals are very reliable. I've seen Panny Turbos out there with over 80k miles, and will likely go much further.
Maintenance on turbo cars is a little more...oil changes will probably run you about $450 at the dealer.

Everything else I think you're on the right track- just be careful what cloths you use to wash it. Car should be awesome in the winter with the air suspension and winter tires.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.