Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake vibration from disc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 10:11 AM
mziegler38 is on a distinguished road
Brake vibration from disc

My 2016 Panny GTS has 11K miles. I have been getting major vibration when stopping from 50 mph+.
I brought went dealer who said the discs are warped and brakes are not warranted. Charge about $2500 to replace. I complained and they will check with district manager.
A couple of issues here: Why should this happen so soon, and if fixed, might it happen in another couple of thousand miles? Is this a defective part problem?
Suggestions?

Old 07-14-2017, 02:21 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Does not sound right.
It may be some rust or baked brake dust on rotor. Feels just like a warped rotor and I doubt you warped one at 11K... suggestion would be to go somewhere safe and do a few very high speed hard braking to clean them off. I have had luck before when this was the issue on other vehicles. I had the same issue on my E550. Dealer told me it s from not using the car enough, LOL, they couldn t get all the crap off the rotors and replaced under warranty but stated they only will do this once.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:26 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
BTW, how many rotors will they change for $2500... I could see changing them in pairs but if that s all four then they are flat out wrong IMO. You certainly don t have four warped rotors. Do you have carbon fiber upgraded brakes on a GTS?

Old 07-14-2017, 05:32 PM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
The Porsche GTS front steel rotors are $900 each last time I checked. There are way cheaper aftermarket alternatives.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by riden
The Porsche GTS front steel rotors are $900 each last time I checked. There are way cheaper aftermarket alternatives.
Are they just as good as OE?

Old 07-16-2017, 12:12 PM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
i plan to buy them when I replace the original pads later this year. Given that they started a slight pulsing at 20k miles I'm not impressed with the OEM quality so I'm looking forward to trying something else. My guess is they are an OEM manufacturer. They are about 1/3 the price of the Porsche part.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by mziegler38
Are they just as good as OE?

How good can OE s be if they warped at 11K? I still don t buy they are warped.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by cerbomark
How good can OE s be if they warped at 11K? I still don t buy they are warped.
Point well taken. I'm trying to negotiate a resolution ( I
have had 5 pcars which must count for something). Failing that, I will have my indy do the job, and I will get a close look at the condition of the rotors.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:46 AM
Thumbs up

Update: Porsche stepped up and covered the replacement for both front disks under warranty.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:31 PM
Great to hear! They did the right thing.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:47 AM
knowspin has a spectacular aura aboutknowspin has a spectacular aura aboutknowspin has a spectacular aura about
The warped rotors may not have been because they were defective. Some of the air guns shops use to tighten the lug nuts are set to way too high torque. I have my daily driver and wife's car serviced at an independent who only uses the air gun to remove the lug nuts. He hand tightens the nuts with a torque wrench. I have my Ferrari serviced at an Aston Martin dealership where they follow the same practice.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:06 AM
Good point!

Old 07-20-2017, 06:23 AM
Note..In my case the assembly was done by the factory. Much better chance of getting the proper torque.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:51 AM
9917S is an unknown quantity at this point
Glad the resolution was a happy one!

Old 08-25-2017, 09:27 AM
skiracer13 is on a distinguished road
My 2010 PTT has also developed a pronounced vibration/wobbling of the front end - it started only during braking at high speed (85 mph +) while cornering. Now it seems much more pronounced, almost as if the wheels aren't on all the way. None of my prior P-cars ever did this, and this car only has 34k miles on it.

Any advice before I just bring it into my Indy for a look? Thanks in advance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.