Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Panamera Power Steering Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 07:47 AM
Nervousdriver2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 2018 Panamera Power Steering Failure

Hi, I am curious if anyone has experienced loss of power steering across the Porsche family of automobiles. I just began a lease on a 2018 Panamera and broke 1,000 miles on the odometer yesterday. I have already had an issue with I believe the auto off/on switch? It went into the shop the first week I had the car. Last night was a different story. I was driving with my son going around 40mph when the car's power steering went suddenly and completely out. There was also no forewarning by the car. Within a split second my wheel became 100 pounds. Thankfully I was not on a highway and was able to slow down and assess that I could make it home albeit with all the strength in my body. I am sure I will be met with the "I have never heard of this issue" at the dealership which is why I am reaching out to drivers. If anyone has information or a story beyond the Paul Walker story (that car had power steering failure) please respond below. Thank you.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:44 AM
jtorrebl is on a distinguished road
It sounds like the turbos or their pressure release valves. I hear the same things just in front of the instrument cluster. I have a 4S twin turbo ‘17

Old 12-14-2017, 01:34 PM
ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nervousdriver2
Hi, I am curious if anyone has experienced loss of power steering across the Porsche family of automobiles. I just began a lease on a 2018 Panamera and broke 1,000 miles on the odometer yesterday. I have already had an issue with I believe the auto off/on switch? It went into the shop the first week I had the car. Last night was a different story. I was driving with my son going around 40mph when the car's power steering went suddenly and completely out. There was also no forewarning by the car. Within a split second my wheel became 100 pounds. Thankfully I was not on a highway and was able to slow down and assess that I could make it home albeit with all the strength in my body. I am sure I will be met with the "I have never heard of this issue" at the dealership which is why I am reaching out to drivers. If anyone has information or a story beyond the Paul Walker story (that car had power steering failure) please respond below. Thank you.

If you encountered a mechanical problem and had ***THAT*** much difficulty operating the vehicle, then PARK IT AND HAVE IT TOWED. This seems like common sense to me.

And, just so you know... higher speeds actually REDUCE steering effort. Not increase it.

That you are basically bad mouthing the dealer's service department by assuming they will dismiss your issue in pretty rediculous. IMO.
GIVE THEM A CHANCE TO WORK ON THE CAR.

Finally, I have no earthly idea why you are mentioning two idiots who died while driving a ten year old supercar car at many multiples of the posted speed limit of public roads. It has zero to do with your situation.

Last edited by ace10; 12-14-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:18 PM
knowspin has a spectacular aura aboutknowspin has a spectacular aura aboutknowspin has a spectacular aura about
It certainly is possible that the dealership may say they never heard of PS failure before, but that doesn't mean they won't fix it.

I don't know who told you the Paul Walker crash was due to PS failure, but that is incorrect.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:26 PM
KahalaM5 is on a distinguished road
I had a complete PS failure about 6 mos ago on my 2010 PTT. This, after my air suspension failed -- it's been an expensive year without warranty!

Old 01-04-2018, 10:32 AM
Deborah Drury is an unknown quantity at this point
Loss of Power in Steering

[QUOTE=Nervousdriver2;4685389]Hi, I am curious if anyone has experienced loss of power steering across the Porsche family of automobiles. I just began a lease on a 2018 Panamera and broke 1,000 miles on the odometer yesterday. I have already had an issue with I believe the auto off/on switch? It went into the shop the first week I had the car. Last night was a different story. I was driving with my son going around 40mph when the car's power steering went suddenly and completely out. There was also no forewarning by the car. Within a split second my wheel became 100 pounds. Thankfully I was not on a highway and was able to slow down and assess that I could make it home albeit with all the strength in my body. I am sure I will be met with the "I have never heard of this issue" at the dealership which is why I am reaching out to drivers. If anyone has information or a story beyond the Paul Walker story (that car had power steering failure) please respond below. Thank you.[/QUOTE

I experienced the same thing while driving our 2017 Panamera yesterday - total loss of power in the steering. Thankfully I was going at a low speed - approx 10 MPH and could stop the car without too much distress. I actually thought the car had stalled given the loss of power. I turned the ignition on and off again to make sure I could drive the car forward and reverse it but I still couldn't steer. I called my husband and when he arrived the car worked normally again and could be driven. Porsche asked us to bring the car into them but we said we felt unsafe driving it in case the same thing were to happen again at high speed. It was taken away on a car transporter and we have heard today that no fault has been registered on the car's computer system. However, we still feel there is a problem with the car and don't feel 100% sure it won't happen again.