Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire vs bearing noise

Old 12-12-2018, 06:31 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Tried on both sides of car and sound still there regardless on which side tires are on.

Originally Posted by cerbomark
Outside marking is great but they still have to be on the correct side. There is an arrow. FYI

Old 12-12-2018, 06:33 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Yeah. had bad bearing once, starts quieter and gets worse as debris starts to impede more. Looks like I may have to drive for a while to know for sure, but sucks as I hate even small screw out of place on the PTT.

Originally Posted by cerbomark
...I think I d drive it a 1000 miles or so and see if anything happens.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:44 PM
As I kept testing, noticed that the pulsating sound starts at slow speed and gets faster with its increase.
At about 50mph I start hearing louder road noise which gets bit louder with speed too.
New installed tires on front are identical to what old ones were, and matching to rear tires for a set. Want to get different tires but want to use up rears first.
Positive my car was quieter before tire change.

One thing I noticed was that I was making more tight circles in cul de sac and when I was going to left (CCW), the pulsating noise was more pronounced, could hear it more. How much play is supposed to be on axle at final drive.
Been reading up on it and PTT has bit of play on axle. Would wearing axle make such noises? Nothing torn or bent, inspected everything. If I pull on axle away from mount hole (from driver seat to passenger seat direction of push), I see bit of play, but again, reading up on it, that play is expected. No?
Help greatly appreciated.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:15 AM
Starting to think there is a chance a hub is going on my right side (since heard much louder noises when turning to my left in tight fast circles on my street). What say you wrenchers?

Old 12-13-2018, 08:32 AM
HP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the rough
Are your tight circles with steering at full lock position? With a AWD vehicle, it is not uncommon to get some noise/roughness at full turn lock.

Normally you hear a bearing noise difference at fairly decent speed with a "sweeping" type turn - example a sharp turn on a mountain road with 50mph speed limit.

More feedback needed ..

Old 12-13-2018, 11:01 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HP41
Are your tight circles with steering at full lock position? With a AWD vehicle, it is not uncommon to get some noise/roughness at full turn lock.

Normally you hear a bearing noise difference at fairly decent speed with a "sweeping" type turn - example a sharp turn on a mountain road with 50mph speed limit.

More feedback needed ..

agree.... that s why I say 'highway swaying'. After you get that down a 5 min ride will tell you.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:02 PM
Traveling at about 50mph, i keep hearing a pulsating sound, start hearing it at about 15mph onward. It seems to be gettong worse. Faster speed is faster pulsating sound.
no vibration just sound.
around 50mph road noise increases noticeably, also seem to notice gas mileage worse a bit.
when travel at about 50mph and swaying side to side, i do not feel any thing. Sounds don't seem to change.
the pulsing sound is more pronounced when i turn left, as described, continuous tight circles in street.
no it is not the Ackerman effect you describe.

Last edited by ciaka; 12-17-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:34 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
well sounds like either a bearing or tire.... keep us posted.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:00 AM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
sounds like it could be a drive shaft CV joint

Old 12-17-2018, 11:53 AM
I wont get to this before Year's end I dont think which is OK, wont be doing much driving (going visit fam for Christmas).
From driving and testing it almost positively feels like bearing. If it was axle shaft, it would keep making noises whichever direction i was turning (cv joint would still be making noise).
In my situation, when I turn left circles, load is transferred onto the passenger front wheel, and sound is very much more pronounced and louder.
When I turn right, load transfers onto driver side wheel, and the noise gets very quiet, almost gone.
So looks like bearing. I have full brakes waiting for me to replace, so when I do that, i will have a good chance to look in the area and will be able to play with the wheel hub, to see if i can detect play.

If this is a hub, my initial plan of attack will be:​​​​​​
  • Replace only the front wheel bearing itself, not the wheel hub, or the steering knuckle.
    • Steering knuckle about $800-1000 bucks new,
    • Front wheel bearing about $100 new. Add bearing press kit for about 100, hi temp packing grease another 20, dust shield about 20. Few hours of time. I should come out of it after about $250 total + time. Since Christmas is full swing, I will have more time than $$, I will go this route I think.
Somehow I sense a DIY coming my way.