Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Liftgate Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 10:30 AM
LouDA is on a distinguished road
Auto Liftgate Troubleshooting

As the title says - the lift gate (trunk) is giving me some issues. I honestly don't know where to start in diagnosing this issue, so thought I'd ask for some advice.

The trunk raises just fine with the press of either the key fob button or the manual handle button (on the trunk). I have reset the opening height to varying levels also, to see if that helps.

Closing the trunk is where I have the issue - pressing either button, it drops about 1" then makes 3 beeps and stops. Press the button again, same thin - drops 1", 3 beeps, stop. The only way to close the trunk is to do it slowly and manually, then the locking mechanism clamps on it once it's shut just fine.

Anyone have any ideas as to what could be the issue or at least where to start looking? I don't know where the sensors are either, to see if there's something blocking it?

Old 12-14-2018, 02:53 PM
LGARCIA will become famous soon enough
Sounds like the sensors are stopping the movement and giving you the three beeps to warn you of the obstruction. I will take a look for the sensors in mine and let you know if I can take a pic for you.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by LGARCIA
Sounds like the sensors are stopping the movement and giving you the three beeps to warn you of the obstruction. I will take a look for the sensors in mine and let you know if I can take a pic for you.
Awesome, thank you!

Old 12-14-2018, 02:58 PM
I found this in the manual:
Malfunctions of the tailgate drive:
The automatic function is not active if the vehicle battery voltage is too low.
If a button is pressed, the tailgate lock is unlocked and three brief warning signals sound. The tailgate can now be opened by hand.

I know that your issue is closing it and not opening it but the three beeps seems to point at the low voltage coming from the battery....I hope this helps!

Here's more from the manual

Overload protection
If overloading of the tailgate drive is detected, three brief warning signals sound.
The tailgate cannot be operated automatically for approx. 30 seconds.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:14 PM
I found this in the manual:
Malfunctions of the tailgate drive:
The automatic function is not active if the vehicle battery voltage is too low.
If a button is pressed, the tailgate lock is unlocked and three brief warning signals sound. The tailgate can now be opened by hand.

I know that your issue is closing it and not opening it but the three beeps seems to point at the low voltage coming from the battery....I hope this helps!

Here's more from the manual

Overload protection
If overloading of the tailgate drive is detected, three brief warning signals sound.
The tailgate cannot be operated automatically for approx. 30 seconds.
I must have missed that in the manual! Thanks.. it is unlikely to be overloading as it's a stock trunk, but will check the battery tonight or trickle charge to see if that helps boost it.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:45 PM
Just checked and my battery is a little under where it should be but no issues with the alternator, so going to try and trickle charge tonight then give it a shot tomorrow. Good catch! Fingers crossed.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:26 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
I think beeps indicate abnormal closing or opening.
internal rusting of shock can appear to sensors as obstruction.
no air in shocks can start closing way too fast, causing error beeps too.
Observe closing. Liftgate should slow down and gently close. If yours on way down goes fast, it means shocks are gone. Another bet is it started happen around time colder weather rolled in.
i found some new shocks for about 250 each new.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by ciaka
I think beeps indicate abnormal closing or opening.
internal rusting of shock can appear to sensors as obstruction.
no air in shocks can start closing way too fast, causing error beeps too.
Observe closing. Liftgate should slow down and gently close. If yours on way down goes fast, it means shocks are gone. Another bet is it started happen around time colder weather rolled in.
i found some new shocks for about 250 each new.
Would you mind taking a video of what it looks like normally closing? I may get new shocks then as my ones are rusted at the bolt so could be inside, too...

I am trickle charging overnight in the hopes that it cures it but may need to replace. Where did you get the shocks from?

Old 12-14-2018, 09:23 PM
Glad you have some options to troubleshoot going forward. I just checked my shocks and one is rusted at the top/bottom so I’m thinking I might have this issue sometime in the future...

Last edited by LGARCIA; 12-14-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:56 PM
Glad you have some options to troubleshoot going forward. I just checked my shocks and one is rusted at the top/bottom so I’m thinking I might have this issue sometime in the future...
Well both of mine are rusted at the top being that it came from Illinois, so it could well be that.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:10 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Here is sample shock - $245 each. Click Here
Here is a video for how liftgate should be closing when working properly.
Observe the last few seconds of closing when liftgate slows down on way to close, and gently latches.

AND

Here is a video (Chinese version of The 2001 The Space Odyssey) - for accessing wiring during shock replacement).
Choice of music is just classic in combo with the video...lol.

Originally Posted by LouDA
Would you mind taking a video of what it looks like normally closing? I may get new shocks then as my ones are rusted at the bolt so could be inside, too...

I am trickle charging overnight in the hopes that it cures it but may need to replace. Where did you get the shocks from?

Last edited by ciaka; 12-15-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:02 AM
Small Car Lover will become famous soon enough
When did the foot activated tailgate open function become available? I'd like to have this feature. I wonder if my 970.2 has this and I don't even know it?

Old 12-16-2018, 09:20 AM
mziegler38 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Small Car Lover
When did the foot activated tailgate open function become available? I'd like to have this feature. I wonder if my 970.2 has this and I don't even know it?
I have that feature on my 2018 PTT.
Was not on my 2016 Panny GTS

Old 12-16-2018, 12:53 PM
My 2015 4S does not have the foot activated rear hatch. Is there an add on to get this feature? I searched but found nothing OEM...

Old 12-16-2018, 09:37 PM
Lol.
you can always wave your foot under there and discretely press remote button. Would be just like you have it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Auto Liftgate Troubleshooting