Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tail lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 09:15 AM
RBeam6 is an unknown quantity at this point
It was just getting the old stuff off that was a pain. I've done enough little projects (both on cars and other stuff that has silver on it I don't like) that trim isn't that hard.

The stuff that was on the car I've used many times before. Doesn't actually use any adhesive but for some reason had really bonded to the chrome trim in a way I've never seen it do before.

Got a big roll of satin black. Made templates and cut out the pieces so there wouldn't be much need to stretch it then went out to pull the old stuff off and thought I'd be done with the whole thing in an afternoon. And then what I thought would be the easy part because the worst by a factor of about 10.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:25 AM
Doing the trim on the vents in the interior of the car on a recent project. Now THAT was a pain.

Complicated shapes like those where you're having to stretch in some areas and deal with where the material bunches up in others is a freakin' nightmare. When I see videos of people doing perfect, spotless wraps on exotic cars they might as well be levitating as far as it being something I think I could ever do.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:45 AM
Tail lights installed on a relatively shiny car

Finished re-wrapping the trim over the weekend then gave the car a quick wash and shine to clean off my greasy finger smudges that were everywhere. Took a few pictures when I went by the dealership to show a friend the new tweak.

As a quick disclaimer .... I think the camera in the phone is OK and the pictures look pretty good but I've never taken the time to mess with the camera settings and the shiny black paint seems to throw off some of the auto adjust things. So I think the tail lights look noticeably better in person ... and the effect on the car, overall, is more noticeable when you're walking around it rather than just looking at it from a fixed angle. I'll take better pictures with my actual camera when I can find the time.

First just a couple of shots of the front of the car with the "black" headlights I upgraded to a month or so ago. I think I mentioned at the beginning of the thread that tweaking the tail lights wasn't really on my to-do list until I did the headlight swap ... after which, it became a major priority because I didn't feel like the back of the car worked with the front any longer.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:53 AM
And the tail lights ....

Like I said. Look good in the pics ... better in person.

Got pretty much everything I wanted as far as changing the look. Plus, had more of a slimming effect on the back than I expected. As much as painting the pseudo skid plate on the rear valence that came silver from the factory (one of the first changes I made).

Last edited by RBeam6; 06-19-2019 at 08:35 AM.