Sponsored by:

Coolant leak / P2186

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 09:26 AM
970 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Coolant leak / P2186

Hi all,

long time lurker. Never felt I had much value to add but sure did learn a lot. Seeing how my 2010 970 4S has been keeping me very much on my toes and in the shop I hope I may have some tidbits of knowledge to share soon on an extensive 6 month labour of 'love'.

For now, just more questions and frustrations sadly.

Road trip planned, so send it in for servicing/checkup. Picked it up the night before from the stealership after an oil/filter change, PIWIS coolant bleed (due to recent radiator replacement), PDK oil change etc etc. All checked out and good to go. Not 15 miles later, massive coolant leak. Onto flatbed back to the shop. Of course feared the worst but it was "only" the vent line that sits under the intake manifold. Must have popped due to the bleed. Got quoted 3k to do the vent line and upgrade the housing with the bolded pipes. Pass for now, thanks.

Replaced the vent line, filled and bled the coolant system, drove it slowly and kept eye on temperatures non stop, all good. Until about 50 miles later when I noticed that my oil temperature started fluctuating. Jumping all over the place in very rapid swings. From 195 to 160, back to 200. Very erratic and a far cry from the normal and always constant 212/219 which it now hardly touches. Must be some special oil they put in! Yet the coolant temp does not move from 194 once warmed up. Lock solid, thank fully.

The code I get is P2186, which comes up as a "engine coolant temp sensor, radiator output implausible signal" which has me stumped. Yes, the coolant leak could explain that but what does my coolant sensor have to do with the oil temp? Replaced the sensor on the radiator, no change. There's another one hiding in the back behind cyl number 8 which I'd rather avoid right now as taking the manifold off twice in a week is pushing me to my limit. Then again, having seen the carbon caked state of my valves....sigh

Any ideas anyone?

TIA

Alex

Old 12-02-2019, 11:55 AM
jzchen will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 970
Hi all,

long time lurker. Never felt I had much value to add but sure did learn a lot. Seeing how my 2010 970 4S has been keeping me very much on my toes and in the shop I hope I may have some tidbits of knowledge to share soon on an extensive 6 month labour of 'love'.

For now, just more questions and frustrations sadly.

Road trip planned, so send it in for servicing/checkup. Picked it up the night before from the stealership after an oil/filter change, PIWIS coolant bleed (due to recent radiator replacement), PDK oil change etc etc. All checked out and good to go. Not 15 miles later, massive coolant leak. Onto flatbed back to the shop. Of course feared the worst but it was "only" the vent line that sits under the intake manifold. Must have popped due to the bleed. Got quoted 3k to do the vent line and upgrade the housing with the bolded pipes. Pass for now, thanks.

Replaced the vent line, filled and bled the coolant system, drove it slowly and kept eye on temperatures non stop, all good. Until about 50 miles later when I noticed that my oil temperature started fluctuating. Jumping all over the place in very rapid swings. From 195 to 160, back to 200. Very erratic and a far cry from the normal and always constant 212/219 which it now hardly touches. Must be some special oil they put in! Yet the coolant temp does not move from 194 once warmed up. Lock solid, thank fully.

The code I get is P2186, which comes up as a "engine coolant temp sensor, radiator output implausible signal" which has me stumped. Yes, the coolant leak could explain that but what does my coolant sensor have to do with the oil temp? Replaced the sensor on the radiator, no change. There's another one hiding in the back behind cyl number 8 which I'd rather avoid right now as taking the manifold off twice in a week is pushing me to my limit. Then again, having seen the carbon caked state of my valves....sigh

Any ideas anyone?

TIA

Alex
Make sure the coolant temp sensor nearest the radiator is properly connected. If it is it may have gone bad. (Sorry, just a hunch just got ours July and so many issues I'm looking forward to trading it in already)....

Old 12-02-2019, 01:00 PM
Thanks but I replaced that one today with a new one. No difference.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:06 AM
Ended up that the sensor was fine but that circulation was not. So though coolant temp gauge read proper 195, this reading was likely from the engine block coolant sensor. A quick touch of the hose on the drivers side showed that it was much cooler than the one on the passengers side. (perhaps I should have thought of that before changing the sensor twice, the good old, touch to verify!). Oil temps holding steadier also, likely DME was getting confused.

Changed thermostat and water pump today.

Now that this seems cleared, immediately started to get the dreaded P1023 again. Short lived joy.

Last edited by 970; 12-04-2019 at 08:29 AM.