Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Sill illumination went out - any known fix ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 10:29 PM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !
Side Sill illumination went out - any known fix ?

My passenger side sill illumination must have stopped working one of the previous months, hadn't really noticed.
Removed the sill (see pics) and there are no bulbs that can be replaced. There is a 2 prong circuit which I was able to disconnect. I performed following checks on the sill :
  1. I checked the sill circuit for continuity and it worked. This made me hopeful,
  2. so I decided to also remove the driver's side sill and hook up the other (passenger side) sill to that connector. Unfortunately it did not work, so I now know there's something wrong with the bulb
Has anybody been able to repair their sill ? I performed a search and read some horror stories about people being forced to buy 2 new sills for a whopping 600$. Steep price for a bulb gone bad...
Any fixes ?

Old 12-07-2019, 01:58 PM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !
A bit more perspective on how this is designed : the 'lit up' area is ultra thin and cannot be opened (e.g by pulling off the carbon fiber part with turbo S on it).
The light itself behind the Turbo S lettering seems to emitted by a string of fibers. You can see that on a picture I took of the (OK working) driver's side sill below.
The fibers themselves are lit by a small LED bulb which is on the inside of the sill, just before the fibers are fed into the lit up area. So, question is whether that small LED bulb is replaceable. I haven't tried to disassemble it as of yet.

Last edited by Yves; 12-07-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:30 PM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
I would check to make sure the problem is the LED, have you check the connection to make sure there is power there?
if it isn't a "bulb" and just an LED you can probably fix it with a soldering iron

Old 12-07-2019, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by DogWood
I would check to make sure the problem is the LED, have you check the connection to make sure there is power there?
if it isn't a "bulb" and just an LED you can probably fix it with a soldering iron
Yes, I plugged in the defective sill on the other side , where I know I have power. It didn't light up, so it must really be the LED that is broken. Know anybody in our vicinity who could fix this ?