Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody received a letter from Porsche NA re concerns about Turbo chargers ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 06:33 PM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !
Anybody received a letter from Porsche NA re concerns about Turbo chargers ?

Seems to apply to Turbo S and regular turbos with the X80 performance package.
I do not like the language of this letter. They seem to know something is wrong, but at the same time they are drawing a hard line in the sand.
If they literally claim the turbo chargers do not meet their expectations, then they should stand behind their product and swap them out. After all, these were 200K$ cars.
Anybody aware of failures with these turbo chargers ?

Old 12-09-2019, 06:53 PM
NormalFellow will become famous soon enough
I havent seen aything... However, in your case, I have some info for you regarding this. If your car is on the lift, pop off the plastic coupling on the drivers side turbo charger and see if theres oil in there, and around the impeller blades... Also, look and observe the fins on the blades for any gouges, chips, or any weirdness... Also, look around the exhaust housing mating surface and see if there is any oil leakage residue anywhere around there. If yo uhave any of these, then go through the process of whatever Porsche NA requires to do the warranty work now so that you get the upgraded piece. BTW... been meaning to message you.. thinking about heading north, haha.

Old 12-10-2019, 07:15 AM
Mazurda is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Yves
Seems to apply to Turbo S and regular turbos with the X80 performance package.
I do not like the language of this letter. They seem to know something is wrong, but at the same time they are drawing a hard line in the sand.
If they literally claim the turbo chargers do not meet their expectations, then they should stand behind their product and swap them out. After all, these were 200K$ cars.
Anybody aware of failures with these turbo chargers ?

Excuse my ignorance on this topic but how would you know if you have a power kit (x80)?

Old 12-10-2019, 07:51 AM
Deezflip is on a distinguished road
Not sure what to look for physically, but you can go to vinanalytics.com and enter your VIN. You should see X80

Not mine, just an example...

Last edited by Deezflip; 12-10-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:17 AM
Mazurda is an unknown quantity at this point
awesome thanks, I'm just a base turbo....$150k but base lol

Old 12-10-2019, 09:02 AM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !
My thoughts about this letting it sink in for a night : this seems to be a case of really bad third party/supplier management on Porsche's behalf.
As we all know most car components are subcontracted out to 3rd party suppliers, so I assume these are Borg Warner or KKK turbo chargers. In case of the Turbo S or X80 package a higher spec was designed which the subcontractor failed to deliver on, at least from a durability POV. How to deal with this should all be stipulated in the contract between Porsche and their supplier, this is all common practice, I've audited this myself in a previous life and a different industry. Where things get tricky is who bears what type of cost in case of a recall : is it just the physical units the supplier is on the hook for, or also the associated dealership work ? This is where the lawyers get involved if there is a gray zone in the contract and where things can get ugly (e.g. in the pharmaceutical industry the cost of destroying recalled Rx drugs can trump the logistical cost of getting the product back in the warehouse).
Having said all of that, none of this should impact us as a customer since our only relationship in all of this is with Porsche, not with their subcontractors.
In this specific case, they do not seem to be stepping up and hold the supplier accountable.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:46 PM
Boondar143 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the information. I just pulled my VIN and looks like I am OK. Yves - I hope you don't end up having any problems. I always wonder in cases like this if there is a malfunction of the turbos that impacts other parts of the car, will that be covered? I'd hope that they'd be willing to take a look at the turbos and let you know if there are any issues.

Old 12-16-2019, 07:39 AM
stealthn is on a distinguished road
Is that your letter and VIN? If so you have the turbo’s in question.

Old 01-08-2020, 05:25 AM
Deezflip is on a distinguished road
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...uggetions.html

Ugh I’m just finally realizing and discovering this, I should’ve paid more attention and mentioned in several threads ...

If I’m understanding this correctly, Turbo S and PowerKit X80 turbochargers were shortly recalled after released and replaced with the same turbochargers as the non-S Turbo. It just has a different ECU tune from factory.

If so, it’s quite disappointing. It explains why an aftermarket tune for the Turbo S is not a drastic increase in power compared to a tune on a non-S Turbo.