Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does the Panamera start in 2nd gear in auto mode?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 09:10 PM
newporsche is infamous around these parts
Why does the Panamera start in 2nd gear in auto mode?

Why does the Panamera start in 2nd gear in auto?
in manual mode it allows for a start in 1st gear which makes for more smoother quick acceleration but i dont always want to be in manual mode.
Other porsche PDKs allow for starting in 1st gear in auto mode but the Panamera doesnt. is there a software update that would allow for it?

Also in manual mode is it bad to rev to 5000 RPM in 1st gear before going up to the next gear ?

thanks

Last edited by newporsche; 07-10-2020 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:55 PM
Oh also ive read from other forums that if you turn off the PSM then the panamera starts from 1st in auto mode? i do notice its a bit smoother when accelerating from a standstill when i have PSM turned off....

Old 07-11-2020, 06:20 AM
tallpaul is infamous around these parts
I don't have an official answer but it seems very likely it's gas mileage and smoothness of acceleration. On my turbo in sport plus it starts in 1st gear (also locked out 7th) to enhance performance. but starts in 2nd in any other "auto" mode. 2nd gear start likely maintains some of the "stately" characteristics Porsche built into the Panamera as an executive car.

A PDK flash could change the operation but not sure if any the off the shelf ones do it. Does your car have a sport plus mode?

Old 07-11-2020, 07:19 AM
2012PTT is infamous around these parts
If you put it in Sport Plus then it’ll start in first in auto mode, though it’ll also hold the gears much longer and won’t be as smooth for around town driving.

as for “why” it starts in second - I think the answer is simply because it can. It’s hit enough power to start in second and feel completely normal, so it does for efficiency. I don’t know for sure but I’d imagine other cars in the 400-570hp range also start in second in normal driving just for smoothness and efficiency.

basically, these cars have so much power that first gear is really only needed for launches

Old 07-11-2020, 10:26 AM
I dont have sport plus on my model so i can only get to 1st gear by going into manual.

So starting for 2nd makes for better fuel efficiency but it also causes jerkyness if you are trying to accelerate fast from a standstill?? i drove a 2020 pdk maccan and i think it started from 1st gear and it was much smoother when trying to accelerate fast a stop light or a stop (no jerkyness). I remember reading panamera reviews stating the starting in 2nd gear causes the stuttering

Also in manual mode is it ok to rev to 4000-5000 RPM in the early gears 1/2 or is that too much for the engine?

Old 07-11-2020, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by newporsche
I dont have sport plus on my model so i can only get to 1st gear by going into manual.

So starting for 2nd makes for better fuel efficiency but it also causes jerkyness if you are trying to accelerate fast from a standstill?? i drove a 2020 pdk maccan and i think it started from 1st gear and it was much smoother when trying to accelerate fast a stop light or a stop (no jerkyness). I remember reading panamera reviews stating the starting in 2nd gear causes the stuttering

Also in manual mode is it ok to rev to 4000-5000 RPM in the early gears 1/2 or is that too much for the engine?
My Panamera downshifts to 1st gear on a hill from a stop and it's a 2011 even in comfort mode. So either there is something different about the turbo model or perhaps your PDK is in need of a flash. PDK 2nd gear starts on a flat surface are definitely smoother than a 1st gear start for non hard driving. Hard driving my car will downshift to 1st if I really punch it off of the line.

4-5K will be bad for fuel economy (if you care) but I don't think it'll hurt he motor. I drive my Turbo hard a lot in the mountains and running around. They can generally take it. For just regular cruising around that's kinda high, but its your car, drive it the way you want.

Last edited by tallpaul; 07-11-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:03 AM
i think 2nd gear starts are fine if you are accelerating slowly from a stop but if you need to accelerate fast thats when i get the hesitation. for instance on a two way stop when i need to accelerate abruptly through the intersection when there is a quick break in traffic....more difficult to do smoothly when starting from 2nd gear am i correct?

i also heard on other porsche models if you turn PSM off it will allow for you to start from 1st gear, is it true for the panamera? i feel acceleration from a standstill a bit smoother with PSM off for some reason?? ( also watched a youtube video where someone also mentioned the PSM being off helped smoothness in the panamera)

Old 07-11-2020, 11:25 AM
I don't disagree with why you might want to. Just trying to say why I think Porsche did it. I don't like the fact that the Panamera is so statly, though getting a tune helped with that. However it does also seem like you not only can't use Sport Plus but may not even go into first nearly as often even in comfort mode as mine. Of course if I am intentionally launching I'll definitely put it in first (via sport plus). It's much faster that way.

Next time I drive it I'll try leaving it in comfort and switching PSM off to see if it goes into 1st. Never tried (no reason to since Sport Plus does the same thing).

Last edited by tallpaul; 07-11-2020 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:45 PM
2012PTT is infamous around these parts
i think 2nd gear starts are fine if you are accelerating slowly from a stop but if you need to accelerate fast thats when i get the hesitation. for instance on a two way stop when i need to accelerate abruptly through the intersection when there is a quick break in traffic....more difficult to do smoothly when starting from 2nd gear am i correct?

i also heard on other porsche models if you turn PSM off it will allow for you to start from 1st gear, is it true for the panamera? i feel acceleration from a standstill a bit smoother with PSM off for some reason?? ( also watched a youtube video where someone also mentioned the PSM being off helped smoothness in the panamera)
what year and trim panamera do you have?

Old 07-11-2020, 09:27 PM
StrassenKurven is infamous around these parts
In Sport Plus, if you go full throttle, it'll go up to red line for those gears. It's not a problem..

Old 07-12-2020, 11:00 AM
Deezflip is infamous around these parts
I'd like to say that this is a brilliant design and the idea of starting at 2nd gear for city driving or stop/go traffic. This allows you to inch forward in slow moving traffic without the jerkyness of dual clutch systems. It makes it smooth like conventional torque converter from a stop.

You'll notice in other cars with dual clutch transmissions and even in comfort or normal modes, inching forward has the tendency to jolt you forward since they start off at 1st gear. I find it of an annoyance when inching up in a parking spot or entering my home garage...like yikes, I was just trying to move further in about an inch, but jolts forward about 2ft instead!

I'm not sure if the Cayennes and Macans do the same, but I suspect that maybe 911 and Cayman PDKs start off in 1st since they are intended for that "driving style". Don't quote me on that

Old 07-12-2020, 06:01 PM
but i drove the new maccan and it started from 1st and no issues like as u describe above when inching forward

Old 07-13-2020, 03:32 PM
Deezflip is infamous around these parts
I'm not sure, maybe just too brand new, or maybe improved with the Macans? Just the nature of any dual clutch transmissions, but who knows with Porsche and PDK. Could be less torque/power output, could be for a smoother start from stop.

Not to mention I've practically driven manual cars my entire life, it make sense and the jolt characteristics of being in first gear with clutches. I can only imagine it extremely difficult to have software and computers imitate a human and its leg movement when they feather that clutch pedal for a smooth take off. And with a manual car, you can also start on 2nd gear if you wanted to. It will be slow however and may stall the engine, ...but less jolt forward. Again, just my edumacated guess

https://www.macanforum.com/threads/s...traffic.14161/