Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Hold breaking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 03:44 PM
Gambler is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Automatic Hold breaking

Since I got my new Panamera, I was missing the BMW 640i gran coupe automatic hold button, to engage the breaks on slow trafficking and full stop. After some research, I just found out that the Panamera has the same function, which gets activated by pushing further down on the breaks for a second, while the car is in fully stooped mode, this action activates the Hold function and will appears in the dash board. Finally I was able to remove my leg on the breaks and place it on the gas pedal. Hope this may help anyone, who misses the Auto Hold function in BMW.

The other thing which continued to bather me with the Panamera is the automatic engine shutdown on/off function, I have to turn it off every time I start the car. BMW has this function permanently turned off, if the driver prefers it off and memorized in the key fob. Not sure why Porsche can't do that?

Last edited by Gambler; 11-01-2020 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:07 PM
Registered PM
Mozella is on a distinguished road
My 2013 Panamera has an auto start/stop button on the center console. I turned it off when I first bought the car and haven't touched it yet. It remains off under all conditions. I think it's the button on the right side all the way aft. Don't you have one?

Old 11-01-2020, 07:45 PM
Thx Mozella, for some odd reason the start on/off button, I have to turned it off every time I step in the car. I even called the dealer and they told me they can't turn it off permanently? I turn it off from the PCM or the diamond button at the steering (I configured it for this on/off issue).

Last edited by Gambler; 11-01-2020 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:30 AM
Registered PM
Mozella is on a distinguished road
I have read and reread the owners manual regarding how to save personal settings and I'm still not quite sure how it works or exactly which function it controls. You might try setting up everything the way you like it and then go through the "save" routine using the buttons on the door AND follow the instructions on how to save those settings to your key fob. I have to do this with the key in one hand and the book in the other, so I'm not going to try telling you how to do it with what's left of my memory. Remember, you can activate or deactivate the "save" function which remembers your settings when you lock the car, so check to be sure you have that set up the way you like it. It's buried somewhere deep in the menu system.

I'm not saying that exploring the "save" mode will solve your problem, especially if the dealer says they can't turn it off. I can't even determine if the auto start/stop function is something which is effected by the "save" routine. But if it were me, I'd give it a try.

Old 11-02-2020, 07:14 AM
RDR142 is on a distinguished road
I've read that 2014-up Panamera's aren't able to have auto stop/start disabled permanently due to the manufacturers fuel mileage disclosures being figured with this function active. So basically the car has to start in the default setting every time. Not directly aware if this is the case but read it on some other threads about this topic.

Old 11-02-2020, 07:44 AM
Small Car Lover will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by RDR142
I've read that 2014-up Panamera's aren't able to have auto stop/start disabled permanently due to the manufacturers fuel mileage disclosures being figured with this function active. So basically the car has to start in the default setting every time. Not directly aware if this is the case but read it on some other threads about this topic.
I can save the auto start/stop setting to the key on my 2014 970.2.

Old 11-02-2020, 02:48 PM
StrassenKurven is an unknown quantity at this point
yes.. 2014s can maintain the state of the auto stop/start button. I think it's 2015 and later which disabled that ability.

I assume the OP has a 971. I'll have to try the 'hold the brakes for a few seconds' thing, but I think that doesn't work with the 970. If you have AAC, it'll stop and stay stopped if the car in front of you stops. As such, I don't miss the auto-hold that my F10 had very much, since I mostly used it in the same traffic where I now use AAC anyway.

Old 11-03-2020, 04:27 PM
sunnyc123abc is an unknown quantity at this point
My 2012 doesn't do the auto hold when you press the brake hard, only when it senses the car is going uphill. Would really like this feature though, wonder if I can code it.

Old 11-12-2020, 02:07 PM
Sunnyyc123--- I learned that it comes in 2016 and up, you can't code it.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:09 PM
StaleBread is an unknown quantity at this point
My 2014 "4" has not returned to auto stop/start since I turned it off the day I brought it home...