Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Panamera Turbo - Metal Shavings in Oil?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 12:18 AM
Talib96 is an unknown quantity at this point
2014 Panamera Turbo - Metal Shavings in Oil?

Hi all,

Just wanted your thoughts on the following.

2014 970.2 Panamera Turbo. I was driving on the highway. Low Oil Pressure warning came up, within 30 seconds, I got the Engine Temperature Too High warning. My engine temperature shot up from 105c to 150c. The car started shaking. Pulled up on the side immediately. Turned the engine off and I opened the bonnet. I tried to restart the car immediately, but it wouldn't crank at all. After 45 mins of being on the side of the highway, I tried to start it again. Engine temperate dropped back down to 115c. However, there was no crank. Opened the coolant cap to let the coolant temperature fall, but the coolant came out of the filler neck (the car wasnt started after this, until the coolant and oil were topped up again).

I got it recovered to the garage that evening. The following morning, a local garage were able to start the car. It ran for 20-25 mins. When the technician turned it off, he couldn't turn it back on. I asked the garage to check the oil since I wanted to rule out a potential blown head gasket (this would have resulted in a thick chocolate milkshake colour and texture of the oil). However, when he removed some oil, he found the oil to be super dark and metal shavings in the oil (pic attached). The techinical skill here in Dubai is not up to standard, hence me wanting to get your opinions or if you have heard of something similar.

I initially suspected that it was the high pressure fuel pump. I have a rough idle, and it takes a few seconds of cranking to start at every startup. PSM warning is on too (but no check engine warning). More recently, I have received the "reduced engine power" warning when driving - which all are signs of a bad HPFP. This was on my list of things to do later in the year, but it looks like my time frame has moved up now.

Just some background to the car:
I bought the Panamera Turbo from an owner that clearly neglected it. I got it cheap enough to be a project car (about $13k), so I definitely dont regret buying it. There are a host of issues, from cosmetic to mechanical which I am slowly sorting out. The car was supposedly serviced last year, however, the oil clearly doesn't reflect this. It is a 2014 970.2. Odometer shows 97k kms. ECU and other systems show the same mileage too, but I have my suspicions (it was at 130k kms, last year for the annual inspection). Please note that I changed the battery 2 months ago with a new battery from the local Porsche Dealership.

My question to you:

1) Can a failed HPFP or a failed starter cause the issue of no crank? It seems like it will only turn on once a day.
2) How bad do the metal shavings in the oil looks? Should I be concerned immediately?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Talib96; 11-30-2022 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:26 PM
xhifer is an unknown quantity at this point
Does the shaving stick to a magnet? I hope it's just additive like RESTORE. Either way it's a problem...