Location (State):

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Trading 5-series wagon for 997 as Daily-Driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 04:04 PM
ExhaustFumes is infamous around these parts
Trading 5-series wagon for 997 as Daily-Driver?

Hi all, I'm considering replacing my current car with a 997.1 and would love to hear your thoughts!

I currently drive a relatively-uncommon 2008 BMW 535xi wagon with the 6-speed manual transmission. I absolutely love the car--it has the twin-turbo N54 with a light tune and is super fun to drive. That said, the market has gone a bit wild lately, and I think I could sell it and purchase a higher-mileage 997-generation Porsche 911 to daily. My wagon does not exactly have low miles either and is my daily driver (I also have an old E39 BMW that sits in the garage). However, I've always dreamed of daily-driving a 911 year-round. I ski a lot, so I'd get some snow tires and put my ski box on top. I figured that a C4 would be a better option for deep snow, but generally the C2 is easier to find in my price range. I love the notion of a usable sports car, so the 911 checks a lot of boxes for me.

Would it be a mistake to trade up my wagon (I car I know I love) for a rear-wheel-drive 911 to use year-round? I know this question is largely subjective, so maybe hard to answer. I spend a decent amount of time driving on snowy dirt roads in Vermont with my college ski team, so that's a concern. That said, I previously drove a rear-wheel-drive sport package 335i up there with snow tires and rarely had problems. In fact, my current car is my first AWD winter car and I sometimes feel it is too competent--my five previous RWD BMWs have conditioned me to expect a challenge! I've heard 911s are decent in snow, but obviously ride height is a concern. Embarrassingly, I'm sure I'd miss my heated steering wheel. That said, it's been a goal of mine to daily a 911 before I graduate from college.

I do all my own work, and am aware that parts are expensive. Many 997 parts seem to be a bit cheaper than parts for my E61, at least on FCP Euro (cooling system parts, for example, are more expensive for the BMW). The E61 also has the most expensive parts of any BMW I've owned. Also, I'm only 20 minutes from FCP Euro when I'm at school--that has saved me in the past! Only looking at manual transmission cars--otherwise, I'd rather keep the wagon. Would love to hear your thoughts on whether or not pursuing this plan might be a horrible idea--thanks!

Old 12-21-2021, 11:25 PM
Мoderators--can you please move my thread back to the 997 section? I'm not trying to sell/buy a car here, just seeking opinions from 997 owners! Thanks.

Old 12-22-2021, 11:01 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
You are asking about trading so sorry it stays here…nothing to stop you from rephrasing your thread title and text and reposting in the 997 section. You can even copy some info from here.

Old 12-22-2021, 12:56 PM
OjaiM5 is infamous around these parts
I drive a modified 535xi wagon as well and it is a monster. Hauls all the family stuff I need it to but blow doors off pesky muscle cars. I think you could sell yours right now on BaT and make a good bit of money. Seems like there is building trend on the e61 (especially a manual) right now.
I feel like there is a lot to go wrong on bmw wagons.

Old 12-22-2021, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
You are asking about trading so sorry it stays here…nothing to stop you from rephrasing your thread title and text and reposting in the 997 section. You can even copy some info from here.
Oops... didn't realize that simply using the word "trading" would do that. I meant it as in, "is it worth me considering a switch to" rather than trying to actually make a trade.

Old 12-22-2021, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by OjaiM5
I drive a modified 535xi wagon as well and it is a monster. Hauls all the family stuff I need it to but blow doors off pesky muscle cars. I think you could sell yours right now on BaT and make a good bit of money. Seems like there is building trend on the e61 (especially a manual) right now.
I feel like there is a lot to go wrong on bmw wagons.
Prices have definitely gone up in the last year. Mine has higher mileage, but has had lots replaced in the last 6 months (water pump, t-stat, injectors, ignition coils, spark plugs, battery, cooling hoses, OFHG, aux belt + pulleys + tensioner, power steering pump, power steering reservoir, AC condenser, light control module, tailgate switch) and has low mileage on the turbos, so I'd like to think it could get a decent price. Two keys, good oil analysis, sport package car, clean history. Also exemplifies that there is a lot to go wrong on BMW wagons, and from my research on the 997 it seems that they require fewer frequent repairs. I wouldn't mind that, as managing frequent repairs while I'm away at school is more difficult (and more expensive) than when I'm at home with my tools.

Old 12-22-2021, 06:24 PM
arjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond repute
Keep your current wagon as a daily beater (seemed like it served you good) and save the mullah for a nice P Car.

Old 12-22-2021, 08:36 PM
cfmistry is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by arjayr33
Keep your current wagon as a daily beater (seemed like it served you good) and save the mullah for a nice P Car.
I agree with this. While the 911 is the ultimate DD sportscar, I would not consider a 15-year old German car a reliable or practical DD (especially in the NE).

Old 12-23-2021, 08:38 PM
duuder is infamous around these parts
a rear wheel drive 911 w/ snow tires is a champ in the winter! if you dont need a full size car and haul stuff and people around, i would get the smaller car

Old 12-26-2021, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by arjayr33
That would be ideal. I've already got a second car, though, so I really would only want a daily. Unfortunately, the wagon hasn't been economical to run, but it is a fun car. I would want a daily-beater quality 997 most likely, as I'd want to drive it in all conditions and not worry about keeping it cosmetically pristine, so likely would be looking at higher mileage examples (with comprehensive records, of course).

Originally Posted by cfmistry
I agree with this. While the 911 is the ultimate DD sportscar, I would not consider a 15-year old German car a reliable or practical DD (especially in the NE).
Luckily (or unluckily!), I'm acclimated to daily-driving 14+ year-old German cars, so it wouldn't be -too- much of an adjustment. My wagon is fourteen years old. Preventative maintenance/repairs is so underrated!

Old 12-26-2021, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by duuder
a rear wheel drive 911 w/ snow tires is a champ in the winter! if you dont need a full size car and haul stuff and people around, i would get the smaller car
I'll see what I can do!

Old 12-26-2021, 12:44 PM
bzinsky is infamous around these parts
I used to have a house in VT and have ski’d/boarded most of the mountains. 911 would definitely need snow tires. One thing that you’d have to be cautious of, even with snow tires, is the amount of contact patch compared to the weight of the vehicle. The 911 is not ideal in that regard.

People covet performance wagons mostly because they have kids. It’s an alternative to an SUV that’s actually fun to drive. If you don’t have kids and all of their accessories to haul around, ditch that wagon immediately and get yourself a 911.

In your shoes I’d go rwd with a spare set of wheels with snow tires mounted. I drove plenty of rwd vehicles with the motor up front with all seasons in VT. It’s not fun but it’s possible. RR with snow tires should be just fine.

Although I’m not sure how dangerous 911 oversteer is in snow.

Only mountain I had trouble accessing with rwd is okemo. Main entrance is pretty steep. It’s not always plowed if you’re trying to go early for fresh powder.