Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

05 DB9 Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 10:03 AM
DB9
DB9 is an unknown quantity at this point
05 DB9 Advice

I'm a long time reader, first time posting, and want to thank everyone for everything you've shared. I've learned a ton from all members.

For years I've dreamed of owning a used DB9 and budgeted ~$75K for 09 coupe or later for performance (suspension, A/C feels more robust) and aesthetic (center console) reasons over earlier years. I'm in NC and used DB9 coupes are infrequent. I prefer to drive too see (5-8 hours is okay) instead of flying cross country. I've been watching for 18 months for a regional car without luck (everything local is a Volante).

A spotless 05 coupe is available in Charlotte with 27K miles for $50K from AM/Maserati dealer. Standard Linn audio and no Bluetooth but does have rear parking sensor option. I love the exterior Meteorite silver, personally think the grayish/? slate blue interior is okay (prefer black or tan). Service history is fairly complete and dealer just serviced.

I could purchase the 05 DB9 coupe and save money plus start living the dream. I don't know when/if a regional 09 coupe will be offered and am growing tired of searching/waiting.

I'm guessing others have faced a similar dilemma. Can anyone offer advice or their experience if they purchased an alternate to their dream car?

Do you think this 05 is reasonably priced enough to give up waiting for a 09 coupe? The dealer won't budge on price.

Thanks for your thoughts and any advice.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:33 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Wait for a newer one.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:48 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
I looked three times at a 05 DB9 prior to buying my 07. The research I did helped me make that decision a few years ago. I'm glad I did. It's a personal decision. I would not buy on price alone. This is a purchase you don't want to look back and second guess yourself. Sounds like the interior is not what you prefer, find something that you like. Aston's are special to each owner. Good luck on your search- It's out there !!

Old 05-27-2016, 12:51 PM
KOCF has a spectacular aura aboutKOCF has a spectacular aura aboutKOCF has a spectacular aura about
I've had an '05 Coupe for almost a year. I looked long and hard for a clean car with good service records. The car now has 44K miles. I've done all the scheduled maintenance myself, and the car has been completely trouble free.

I'm very happy with it and would do it all over again.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:54 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Whether or not you'd be happy with an '05 vs a newer one is totally personal. But my main piece of advice is to be patient and get the one you want, even if it takes a few more months.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:08 PM
Ekaplan1020 is a jewel in the roughEkaplan1020 is a jewel in the roughEkaplan1020 is a jewel in the rough
I purchased an '05 DB9 last September. It is Grigio Titanio exterior and black interior. It had only 19000 miles on it and had been serviced regularly. The center veneer panel was cracked, but I ended up switching it out for a piano black panel and matched it with some new piano black door trim. I switched out the red rear lights for some clear ones and I also invested in some of Tony Hall's aluminum ***** for the climate and stereo controls.

I absolutely love the car! I do wish it had a newer center console and a better stereo setup (I added a Dension 500 to it which gives me auxiliary, but it is a pain in the ***), but those are things I can have when I decide to upgrade in the future.

If you decide to go the '05 route, I am sure you will be happy as it is an Aston and extremely fun. By saving the money getting the earlier one, you may also be able to use the extra to get some upgrades or modify it. But if you don't love the interior and you can be patient, one may come available that better fits your preferences.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:16 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ekaplan1020
I purchased an '05 DB9 last September. It is Grigio Titanio exterior and black interior.
Little off-topic but WOW that color looks good on a DB9.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:55 PM
DB9
DB9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Appreciate everyone's input and thoughts. Helps me consider perspectives I hadn't thought of and work through the decision process.

I constantly check AM dealer sites in my region, autotrader, cargurus, ebay motors, etc. hoping to find a MY09 DB9 coupe. Are there other sites I should be looking on?

I scheduled a visit to see the car for a second test drive and closer look too.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:07 PM
I'd recommend looking nation-wide. You're really restricting yourself if you stick to your region. Yeah, it's a pain to fly somewhere, but it can make all the difference. When I bought my car, I flew to FL with a one-way ticket. Checked out the car and then drove it 8 hours to get it home. If anything wasn't right or I wasn't completely happy, I would have bought a one-way ticket back and continued my search. I bought another car that was a much further distance. Round trip ticket to check out the car, then had it shipped.

It adds to your purchasing costs, but it might very well be worthwhile.

Last edited by telum01; 05-27-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:26 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
Good to scratch the itch- Drive that DB9!! You'll have something to compare to. With 27K on a 05 see if the records show that coils and plugs have been replaced. Have them put it on their lift. Take a flashlight to have a good look. Shocks, oil anywhere, tire wear, breaks & pads. Take pics to remember good and bad. Do you plan to do any of the maintenance? There are several write up on 05's on the forum. Eventually a third party PPI might be a consideration. As for the grin after the test drive there is no known cure. It doesn't go away, even with ownership!

Old 05-27-2016, 02:55 PM
bluecab is on a distinguished road
As someone actively searching for the perfect DB9 my concern on the early cars is the dipstick issue.
How long was the car driven with the long dipstick before the recall was implemented?
If you can verify that this was done soon after the car was first driven, or maybe even before it was first sold then no problem.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:49 PM
DonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the rough
50k is about the right money for an 05 but the miles are slightly high. There is nothing wrong with an 05 and previous poster was correct about the money you save can be put into modifications.....as in crummy Linn radio. Also, way down the road collectors will generally want the first year and the last year of any marque. Just a thought. I like the simplicity and purity of my 05 both in form and in function. If you want other options you will have to branch out and search nationally.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:12 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
I've got a 05 DB9 (very rare 6-speed) that I've been thinking about selling since I just bought my DBS.
Shoot me a pm if you're interested in talking..

Old 05-27-2016, 07:15 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by telum01
Little off-topic but WOW that color looks good on a DB9.
Yes, what an amazing color on that car. I really dislike the 360 and 430 in that same color because they are so bland, but the curves on the db9 is perfect for it

Old 05-27-2016, 08:01 PM
W126C will become famous soon enough
I agree to increase your parameters to nationwide. I'm new here and just picked up an '09 DB9 in Connecticut last week. Flew out, one way ticket, bought the car and drove it back to Kansas. This is the fifth time buying cars out of state. I always have someone look them over before I make the move. This was a dealership purchase, so I had all the service records and got the warranty. There seems to be enough good people on this forum that might just go check out a car for you. I had a Rennlist buddy check this car out. He didn't know anything about Astons but he knows Porsches. This wasn't a PPI, just look it over to be sure it wasn't a POS. From there you can arrange for the PPI, if it's the right car.

Guess my point is go after the one you want and be patient. I just about pulled the trigger on a very clean, low mileage '08 and possibly would have been quite happy. Now I got the one I was looking for and have no remorse. Well as of right now. (just kidding)

Regards

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 05 DB9 Advice