Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin MY13 from 98 octane to 95

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 01:16 AM
Alawi.Algawi is an unknown quantity at this point
Aston Martin MY13 from 98 octane to 95

I accidentally mixed the fuel tank in my car, I always refuel it with 98 Octane. but today I accidentally used 95 Octane. since I have two cars. So I went home and switched off my car. but when I switched on later after 30 min I got the "Emission System Service Required" Message, yellow hazard, check engine 'yellow and Nav got erased.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:47 AM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
Coincidence, according to book of words she can handle 95 Octane. It is detected by the knock sensors and the spark advance will be less, so you'll have less power.
I was forced to get 95 Oct. (nothing better a the only petrolstation around, the good stuff sold out) and I had no problems at all.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:08 AM
Originally Posted by GDay2
Coincidence, according to book of words she can handle 95 Octane. It is detected by the knock sensors and the spark advance will be less, so you'll have less power.
I was forced to get 95 Oct. (nothing better a the only petrolstation around, the good stuff sold out) and I had no problems at all.
What about the check engine and Emission service required? is it normal? and there was 98 octane fuel in the tank about 80%, I filled the rest with 95.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:37 AM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
95 Oct. did not bring up any messages and I filled 60 liters of the 95 stuff. So my guess would be pure coincidence, the V8 has 4 knock sensors and adjusts spark automatically. I am not 100% sure about knock sensors on early V12s (they have none), there you might get protest messages.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:24 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
AFAIK 91 octane is all that's available in California. I am also sure there are lots of Aston Martins in California. Pretty sure that you will be fine

Old 06-25-2017, 01:53 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by embdenb
AFAIK 91 octane is all that's available in California. I am also sure there are lots of Aston Martins in California. Pretty sure that you will be fine
American octane ratings are (RON+MON)/2; European ratings are RON only.

But as mentioned earlier, the car can adapt to lower octanes.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:07 PM
Timodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Alawi.Algawi
I accidentally mixed the fuel tank in my car, I always refuel it with 98 Octane. but today I accidentally used 95 Octane. since I have two cars. So I went home and switched off my car. but when I switched on later after 30 min I got the "Emission System Service Required" Message, yellow hazard, check engine 'yellow and Nav got erased.
How much fuel did you add? I have a theory from my days with ford that the engine module will only make quick adjustments after the tank has been refueled by more that 3/4 tank. So if you filled it at half, the hegos may have detected a lean condition and triggered the emissions service lamp. Clear the codes and keep driving before you replace any parts- the car will most likely be fine.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:12 PM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Mathman85
American octane ratings are (RON+MON)/2; European ratings are RON only.
Let's pretend I don't know what RON or MON are. Can you give me a brief explanation. I always figured gas was gas the world round and why did Europe get the good stuff.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:35 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane...rement_methods

Research Octane Number (RON)
The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing the results with those for mixtures of iso-octane and n-heptane.

Motor Octane Number (MON)
Another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON), is determined at 900 rpm engine speed instead of the 600 rpm for RON.[1] MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern pump gasoline will be about 8 to 12 octane lower than the RON, but there is no direct link between RON and MON. Pump gasoline specifications typically require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.

Anti-Knock Index (AKI) or (R+M)/2
In most countries, including Australia, New Zealand and all of those in Europe,[citation needed] the "headline" octane rating shown on the pump is the RON, but in Canada, the United States, Brazil, and some other countries, the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), and often written on pumps as (R+M)/2. It may also sometimes be called the Posted Octane Number (PON).

Old 06-25-2017, 07:43 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hey...Old Phart...be Nice! It is Sunday. Why make other nice guys answer this question! Lol

Next time ask on a Monday...haha

Great answer! Thanks for posting ...

Old 06-26-2017, 02:15 AM
Great news guys, today I rolled my car and the check engine is off, plus the Nav setting is back to normal!. it happened when my fuel indication was in half. Thank you guys for the support I really appreciate it. I've never been a car guy no I am inexperienced.