996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What we Know about Rebuilding the 996TT Engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 07:15 AM
OK51MON is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb What we Know about Rebuilding the 996TT Engine

I have been looking for hours across Rennlist and 6 Speed for fragments of information on what needs to be attended when rebuilding these engines from the ground up.

For example ;

-When install Carillo rods the the oil pump must be ground for clearance.

- Intake lifter have been superseded and so must be replaced.

- 6 Bolts off the IMS gear must be loctited as they have a tendency to come loose.

- Always replace piston rings even if unworn.

The only aftermarket parts i'll be installing is Con rods , Headstuds and an oil pump.

Can anyone else add to these engine build tips or direct me to a thread where this knowledge base has all accumulated. I would be EXTREMELY grateful.

If we get a thread going of continuous tips i'll give £100 to the biggest contributor or his or her chosen charity and have been made a pinned post.

Many Thanks

Old 02-20-2018, 08:42 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Here is my DIY thread. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ld-thread.html

No on new rings unless you are getting new sleeves. They are matched to each cylinder. Put them back in the way they came out. Mark them. If you want new then get all new pistons, rings, and liners.

997 lifters are a good idea the old ones fall apart sometimes.

I never messed with the bolts on my IMS.

New bearings are cheap and should be done. New timing chains are also cheap.

Measurements and tolerances are not published for this engine but I used measurements from other engines and found that they were similar to this engine.

Setting the cams is the biggest problem as the tools are expensive.

The evoms guys use a thin layer of case sealant on the base gasket and the intake runner gasket.

The only guys who built these here that will share info are me, vr6tee, jordanmusser, and kikra.

Last edited by brnrdtns; 02-20-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:05 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
What is your situation or plans? Why do you think you need a rebuild? Are you wanting to build it yourself?

Old 02-24-2018, 10:12 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
If you open up the motor then replace all the gaskets etc .. the rebuild kit .
And so gt3rs dual pickup oil pump

Old 02-25-2018, 02:25 AM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by brnrdtns
What is your situation or plans? Why do you think you need a rebuild? Are you wanting to build it yourself?

Snapped timing chain.

I would love to rebuild it but I do not have a guide. Does anyone know where I can get one?

I may ask my engine builder if I can shadow him as its something I'm really interested in.

Plans are to replace 3 pistons that the valves kissed. After-market rods and headstuds and oil pump.

Anyone else have any more tips? A member posted some great tips and then took it down??

Old 02-25-2018, 04:16 AM
Ouch. Missed shift or over rev? I don't know what happened to John's post. Anyways, your situation isn't too bad as most of your parts are still in good shape. Just read through my DIY build thread, it is all there. The main sources of information are the service/repair manual and the pfixit.com video. Builders try to keep the information for this engine proprietary to their businesses but I was able to figure it out. My home built engine ran fine for 800 miles, but my cams were set wrong based on incorrect information so I couldn't go full throttle. I am working on fixing the cams now. There are a few things to know when building this engine but it isn't too bad of a build. If you have never built an engine before this might be a difficult task. You are going to have to split your cases and also figure something out for replacement pistons. What kind of experience do you have? What kind of budget are you working with?

Last edited by brnrdtns; 02-25-2018 at 04:23 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:37 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Snapped chain? Ouch, how did that even happen? Or was this an isolated case?

Old 02-26-2018, 04:24 AM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by s65e90
Snapped chain? Ouch, how did that even happen? Or was this an isolated case?

No Idea why it happened . The car is a Tiptronic.

I also want to cover my back when putting it back together to ensure it doesn't snap again.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:41 AM
That is really unlucky, sorry man. All you can do is install a fresh set of the same chains. It is rare for them to break.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:01 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Yes, it's happened before but seems very rare for a chain to break. It can only get better from here!

Old 02-26-2018, 01:45 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
I don't know what happened to John's post.
Don't know what happened to it. If someone that was subscribed to this thread has my post on their email they can repost it.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Don't know what happened to it. If someone that was subscribed to this thread has my post on their email they can repost it.
Yes please I would be extremely grateful.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:14 AM
I dont know why this would get deleted:

Not nessarily. With the stock 993TT crank, YES, with the GT3 crank, NO. If building the engine for hard track use, install the GT3 crank. If has twice the oiling of the 993TT crank.

- 6 Bolts off the IMS gear must be loctited as they have a tendency to come loose.

You can replace the two piece OEM IMS with a one piece billet RSR IMS instead

Not necessary if reusing the pistons/liners. These parts simply do not wear.

The only aftermarket parts i'll be installing is Con rods , Headstuds and an oil pump.

I'm not aware of any aftermarket pump. Stick with the OEM dual pick up Motorsport pump. Headstuds are not necessary unless shooting for 750hp+ and high boost. Pick a builder carefully. A guy that can build a 1200hp 1/4 mile engine may not necessarily have the knowhow to build a 700hp race engine, and vice versa.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:42 AM
Lightbulb

I dont know why this would get deleted:

Not nessarily. With the stock 993TT crank, YES, with the GT3 crank, NO. If building the engine for hard track use, install the GT3 crank. If has twice the oiling of the 993TT crank.

You can replace the two piece OEM IMS with a one piece billet RSR IMS instead

Not necessary if reusing the pistons/liners. These parts simply do not wear.

I'm not aware of any aftermarket pump. Stick with the OEM dual pick up Motorsport pump. Headstuds are not necessary unless shooting for 750hp+ and high boost. Pick a builder carefully. A guy that can build a 1200hp 1/4 mile engine may not necessarily have the knowhow to build a 700hp race engine, and vice versa.

Thanks for reposting.

Where can I buy an RSR IMS crank?

With the carrillo rods do I need their bolts? My target is 800 bhp .

Old 02-27-2018, 08:28 AM
The RSR crank has smaller journals and improved oiling. It is designed for sustained high RPM operation on a road course. You would need rods with smaller journals matched for this crank. If you are building a track rat motor then go with this setup. If not then the stock crank will hold 1000 hp no problem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What we Know about Rebuilding the 996TT Engine