Tech / How To

How to change your Muffler on a 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 10:11 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
How to change your Muffler on a 996TT

OK gang here it is. A guide to changing the exhaust in your turbo....

These are the tools required:
Floor jack
Block of wood
Jack Stands
13mm wrench
6mm Allen or allen socket
13mm Socket (3/4 or 1/4 ratchet)
Extensions for both (optional)
02 Wrench (22mm) or Crescent wrench (I would rather you use the proper wrench)

Jack the car up from the center of the motor via a block of wood. this is safe, but very important NEVER to jack up the engine without the wood buffer.

Place the jackstands on either side of the car. You should be able to locate them via the markings as seen below on the rocker. Mine is on the lift, but you can see where the pads are underneath the car.

Next move to the engine compartment. To the left and right of the air box you will see two harnesses as indicated by my pointer. Disconnect the plugs. One simply pinches together the other you pull up out of the bracket and pull the lever back. The plug will separate. Do this to both sides. Now pull them out of the wire clips directly down stream of the wire. They simply pull out of a plastic clip. Remember there are 4 sensors total. Two per side.

Next carefully reach up through the bottom of the car and pull the 02 sensor wires out of the side and lower clips. You want to have the wires dangling as not to catch when removing the bumper.

Now remove the four 13mm nuts surrounding the cats. The cats attach directly to the turbo via four studs. You might want to soak these down with WD-40 or equivalent. The next

Old 07-10-2003, 10:12 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute

With all 8 nuts removed, 4 on each side pull the shield around the turbo loose from the studs.

[IMG]http://Imagineauto.com/porschephd/996TT/turboIII.jpg{/IMG]

Working now at the muffler you will want to remove the the tips. Simply loosen the 13mm nut from the bottom and pull the tip straight off.

Looking directly under the muffler as indicated by my pointer remove the 6mm Allen head bolts. This is the main straps to the muffler. I doubt it will go any where, but you may want to have a helper as this thing is very heavy. Once the straps are loose you will need to feed them off of the rear support. Looking up behind the muffler on the engine side you will see how the strap passes over two ears on each side. You will have to work these off of their supports. Now push the muffler back as far as you can off of the studs. Slightly push the cats up over the turbo and pull the muffler out at an angle from the rear.

Remove the 02 Sensors from the old muffler. Notice that the 02 sensors are colored. Black wire goes closest to the cat inlet. The gray wire goes towards the rear or farthest away from the opening.

install on the Fabspeed set up is quiet simple. Place the cats back up there making sure to have the metal oring in the groove of the turbo and the metal shroud in place before to bolt the cat back on. Place the two pipes on either end of the muffler then place the muffler up on the original muffler support. The attachment system is very neat with the Fabspeed. There are two metal plates with studs. Place these behind the support and start the 13mm nuts. You will see what I mean when the muffler is in place. Now take the two clamps and clamp the pipes you placed on your muffler and the cats. Make sure you have both ridges inside of the clamp and tighten them down. Tighten the rest of the clamps, and the muffler down. Now put your tips on. They should slide right over. If not you may need to open the gap of the tip. The inner ring of the tip clamp will need to removed or opened up as well. Plug your o2 sensors back in and hit the key....That's it.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Sker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of light
Great Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 02:09 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
I wish I could get all the pictures to accompany the narrative. Is your computer showing the pics?

Old 12-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Sker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of light
No...I'm having the same problem with the pics not showing.

Does anyone no why??

Old 12-27-2007, 06:51 PM
Ag Surfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Sker66
No...I'm having the same problem with the pics not showing.

Does anyone no why??
Original post is from 2003. Perhaps the links are no longer working.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:55 PM
Yeah.....Bummer ;-(

Old 12-31-2007, 09:55 AM
rolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to behold
Go to PorschePhd's website ImagineAuto.com
It's there with other tech articles

http://www.turbo911.com/showthread.php?t=291

Old 05-13-2008, 10:12 PM
spoonito is on a distinguished road
This is a good write-up... Probably one of the first things I plan on doing...

Old 05-24-2008, 01:45 PM
N1_kT is on a distinguished road
very helpful