6SpeedOnline.com needs your help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
I think you guys are reading too much into this event...while I'm sure there will be some fully prepared cars and drivers there the event rules in regards to driver safety indicate to me that it is not a pro racing event as far as the organizers are concerned...otherwise they wouldn't permit open cars at all or any car without a full roll cage...they wouldn't allow just cotton clothing (firesuit would be mandatory) and they wouldn't specify street legal cars on dot tires...Jody is very excited about going, will drive safely and do a great job of representing the six...I believe Enrique is also trying to make the event so I am excited about that too..

Old 05-04-2010, 09:51 PM
BritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to behold
Mark
Why are you concerned about Jody? That's a serious question. Is it because she's a girl? Is it because she has a big heart? Is it because you don't think she has the skill necessary to be safe?
I ask myself the same questions. I wouldn't hesitate to do this race in a heartbeat because I know myself well enough that I wouldn't get caught up in the adrenaline and stay within my mediocre skill set. I trust that Jody would do the same. But, at the end of the day, any driver could "run out of talent" and end up dead in this event. It all comes down to the individual driver staying within their limits. I don't think that Jody has anything to proove that she would act outside her ability level. But all HPDEs have inherent risks, and this event is definitely at the most-dangerous end of that spectrum. Scuba diving, parachute jumps, private planes, lots of things that are dangerous are enjoyable that we each have to make an individual decision about...

Old 05-04-2010, 10:05 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
PS...Think of me as the Jamaican bobsledding team in the Olympics! The chances of me winning are zero....but I'll go out there with 110% heart while keeping my head on straight and hope that you guys will still root for me anyway. =) Go 6speed!

Old 05-04-2010, 10:13 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BritBlaster
Mark
Why are you concerned about Jody? That's a serious question. Is it because she's a girl? Is it because she has a big heart? Is it because you don't think she has the skill necessary to be safe?
I ask myself the same questions. I wouldn't hesitate to do this race in a heartbeat because I know myself well enough that I wouldn't get caught up in the adrenaline and stay within my mediocre skill set. I trust that Jody would do the same. But, at the end of the day, any driver could "run out of talent" and end up dead in this event. It all comes down to the individual driver staying within their limits. I don't think that Jody has anything to proove that she would act outside her ability level. But all HPDEs have inherent risks, and this event is definitely at the most-dangerous end of that spectrum. Scuba diving, parachute jumps, private planes, lots of things that are dangerous are enjoyable that we each have to make an individual decision about...

I would question ANY driver Girl Boy or Brit For an event like this. Hill Climbers are nuts. Non Racecar oriented or not.

I'm simply reminding Jody that until you've been to any timed event of any kind. Race Track, Hill Climb that isn't filled with a bunch of your friends you will without question not truly understand the amount of GoJuice that will fill your veins.

This is just miles from the SilverState and guys would do this race just for fun and prep for a race that has 50 mile winners at 200mph plus.

I'll recant it all and erase my posts if you guys feel I'm out of line. I'm a concerned spectator at this point.

my 1 penny

Old 05-04-2010, 10:18 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
I think you guys are reading too much into this event...while I'm sure there will be some fully prepared cars and drivers there the event rules in regards to driver safety indicate to me that it is not a pro racing event as far as the organizers are concerned...otherwise they wouldn't permit open cars at all or any car without a full roll cage...they wouldn't allow just cotton clothing (firesuit would be mandatory) and they wouldn't specify street legal cars on dot tires...Jody is very excited about going, will drive safely and do a great job of representing the six...I believe Enrique is also trying to make the event so I am excited about that too..
- This is the 1rst Annual, meaning no one knows what to expect......, we've all seen how unorganized those can be.
- No one knows anything about the organizers, they probably extended an invite to all the forums to get more heads to show up.
- They state a rule about open tops and then immediately break it by allowing the boxster, that is a red flag by itself.
- The first sentence of the description calls it a race, and talks about the heavy machinery and who knows what car they will grid behind her since no one gets practice runs. It could not end up being just about her if they start people without letting those in front finish. If that is the case who knows what blind corner she could come around and a spun car be sitting there. Or guy trying to win squeezing past her.
- This is not a DE, guys will be trying to win. It's a competition. Saying she can just go out and drive miss daisy is far fetched.
- There is always the unknown, oncontrollable variable, tire blowout, car drops oil no one sees etc. Tracks are designed for this. Open roads with no guard rails are not.

FWIW I don't think Enrique needs to go either, he doesn't have so much as a roll bar in that car, and he's fast with a lot of hp.

We are not taking it too seriously, you are not taking it seriously enough, when you've seen enough high speed crashes in person, maybe you'll start to understand.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
H2o, I don't want anyone to think they are out of line for pointing out the dangers that exist during any motorsports event...any experienced racer or high performance driver knows the risks involved and accepts them before putting on the helmet...

heavy...the rule about open cars was for passengers only...the fact that enclosed cars can carry passengers also indicates that this is not a full pro event or else as you pointed out the organizers are idiots...if they are idiots I fully expect Jody to recognize that during practice and refuse to participate in the event...she is a skilled competitor not Miss Daisy...no skilled/experienced driver would take unecessary risks because the organizers of an event lack the professionalism required

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 05-05-2010 at 12:42 AM. Reason: I can't spell idiots
Old 05-04-2010, 11:24 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
- This is the 1rst Annual, meaning no one knows what to expect......, we've all seen how unorganized those can be.
- No one knows anything about the organizers, they probably extended an invite to all the forums to get more heads to show up.
- They state a rule about open tops and then immediately break it by allowing the boxster, that is a red flag by itself.
- The first sentence of the description calls it a race, and talks about the heavy machinery and who knows what car they will grid behind her since no one gets practice runs. It could not end up being just about her if they start people without letting those in front finish. If that is the case who knows what blind corner she could come around and a spun car be sitting there. Or guy trying to win squeezing past her.
- This is not a DE, guys will be trying to win. It's a competition. Saying she can just go out and drive miss daisy is far fetched.
- There is always the unknown, oncontrollable variable, tire blowout, car drops oil no one sees etc. Tracks are designed for this. Open roads with no guard rails are not.

FWIW I don't think Enrique needs to go either, he doesn't have so much as a roll bar in that car, and he's fast with a lot of hp.

We are not taking it too seriously, you are not taking it seriously enough, when you've seen enough high speed crashes in person, maybe you'll start to understand.

Dez,

working on that roll bar, hes 50 miles away from me.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-roll-bar.html

As for H20SKIER said i agree. I wont eliborate more, as it would beself incrimination

Old 05-04-2010, 11:27 PM
FastrTHNu is on a distinguished road
Hey 6Speed Members!

Last edited by FastrTHNu; 07-25-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:36 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
H2o, I don't want anyone to think they are out of line for pointing out the dangers that exist during any motorsports event...any experienced racer or high performance driver knows the risks involved and accepts them before putting on the helmet...

heavy...the rule about open cars was for passengers only...the fact that enclosed cars can carry passengers also indicates that this is not a full pro event or else as you pointed out the organizers are idots...if they are idots I fully expect Jody to recognize that during practice and refuse to participate in the event...she is a skilled competitor not Miss Daisy...no skilled/experienced driver would take unecessary risks because the organizers of an event lack the professionalism required

Good point on the rules I misread.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Administrator
believe me...your points are also well taken...I take driver safety extremely seriously....I have seen enough track fatalities and hard crash incidents to last me several lifetimes and none were less necessary than our own Ben and his passenger where organizer incompetence played a major role...we all bear a responsibility to ourselves and our fellow drivers to speak up when it appears that driver safety has not been adequately addressed

Old 05-05-2010, 06:39 AM
TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !
I don't know what happened to my last post on the subject. I voted for Jody because I'm also voting in favor of her judgment on the matter. I think it's terrific that Mark wrote his concerns and he's coming from a position of race experience and I'm not. I didn't realize this was the first event and therefore I too agree that lots of questions need to be asked, but I'm also confident that Jody will seek guidance from multiple sources and do her homework on the organizers.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:40 AM
FastrTHNu is on a distinguished road
we all bear a responsibility to ourselves and our fellow drivers to speak up when it appears that driver safety has not been adequately addressed
I could not agree more.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Kristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud of
I could totally see why people could be concerned. I wouldn't want to see Jody, or anyone for that matter, harmed. I don't have racing experience but I would think that being prepared and leaving any pride/ego out of it would be key. The hill climb race wrecks that I've seen seem to be related to people trying to push their car too hard in the corners, end up losing control, and rolling their vehicle.

It's a calculated risk but could be a lot of fun too. I think that if it's approached from the standpoint of putting safety and fun first then it could be just fine. Have a good one and good luck, Jody!

Old 05-05-2010, 09:22 AM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BoxsterGirlie01
PS...Think of me as the Jamaican bobsledding team in the Olympics! The chances of me winning are zero....but I'll go out there with 110% heart while keeping my head on straight and hope that you guys will still root for me anyway. =) Go 6speed!
Just curious if you remember the end of the movie

Old 05-05-2010, 11:03 AM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
Guys,

I think some of you are overthinking this - noone will be forcing Jody to go all out, and I'm sure she's done some "spirited" driving on open roads. I get it, it's not the same, but with all the warnings, I doubt she will take chances at shaving seconds.

The rules and the event description is there to represent the risk, and remind agressive racers that this isn't a race track with as much safety as possible in mind.

That said, several asked the question - what is purpose or this?

1. Fastest time possible
2. Best 6SO representation

A better questions is, what does this MEAN TO US (6SO)?

Personally, I can care less about a race car driver or an experienced racer trying to prove something - there is always someone faster. This is not a stab an anyone's ego, and anyone wanting to race to see how they do can still make the event, and have a 6SO sticker on their car to "represent".

Sending Jody there shows that this comunity is about much more than a bunch of exotic car egos. Everyone would recognize we are not sending her there to win - not because she isn't an excellent driver, but because the caliber of cars that show up at this type of event are clearly a mismatch for a modded Boxter.

Let's also remember the purpose of the thread: To NOMINATE a member to represent 6SO - it is up to THEM whether they are up for the competition.

Take it for what it's worth.

TK

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 6SpeedOnline.com needs your help!