6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Tuning/Modifications (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/tuning-modifications-27/)
-   -   KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/tuning-modifications/1112-ka-memory-my-mom-vincee-best-friend-michael-j-maring.html)

cjv 05-10-2007 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by cjv
The heads/liners were received this morning. I was told it will take two weeks for them to machine the o-rings in the heads and liners and another week to have them back in S Car Go Racing's possession. :( That means we should have the heads/liners back May 23rd.

We were holdng off sending the car to ERP for the wide body and additional suspension work until after the motor install. Due to the final motor assembly taking sooooo long we are toying with the idea of sending the body (without motor) to ERP now.

The heads/liners are still on schedule for return by May 23rd. The motor will be assembled by June 6th. We have been reviewing the dyno sheets and now playing with the idea of modifying the nitrous program. Instead of using it to boost the turbo's at 2600 rpm's we're toying with changing the chip on the pill box to activate at 5600 rpm's with a ten shot adding an additional ten shot every tenth of a second for one 1.5 seconds. Shutting off the nitrous at 9500 rpm's.

dgussin1 05-15-2007 02:35 AM

9500 RPM! How are you keeping spark strong that high?

cjv 05-17-2007 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by dgussin1
9500 RPM! How are you keeping spark strong that high?

Spark has not been an issue. Weather the combustion chambers/heads running much cooler due to the ceramic coating has anything to do with that I don't know.

A future issue may be how long the plug coils last. We don't have enough time on the motor to answer that question yet. Do you have any experience with this car type motor and that issue that you could share with us?

sharkster 05-17-2007 11:33 AM

Coil Packs won't last too long if you're planning on doing drag racing "a lot". Or dyno runs too I suspect... Even at my power level I was changing them:(

dgussin1 05-17-2007 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by cjv
Spark has not been an issue. Weather the combustion chambers/heads running much cooler due to the ceramic coating has anything to do with that I don't know.

A future issue may be how long the plug coils last. We don't have enough time on the motor to answer that question yet. Do you have any experience with this car type motor and that issue that you could share with us?

no, sorry. I am a novice when it comes to motor builds. I just read a lot and know of issues with high revving motors that wern't designed to go up there.

Gramicci101 05-17-2007 01:46 PM

Chad, would it be worth it to talk to MSD or a similar company and get a coil pack made for you that will support your needs?

I figure that if they can make ignition systems for race cars with no problems, they should be able to build one for you as well.

cjv 05-18-2007 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gramicci101
Chad, would it be worth it to talk to MSD or a similar company and get a coil pack made for you that will support your needs?

I figure that if they can make ignition systems for race cars with no problems, they should be able to build one for you as well.

Gramicci,

I'll look into it, but as of the last two months I have stopped making every change that comes up. I would never get done as history will attest to. hilarious

If it is something that will help without further delaying the finish, I will add it on. :cool:

cjv 05-21-2007 08:33 AM

Here is an e-mail that I recently recieved. Gives you an idea what some of our counter parts are doing in Japan. The work is being done by a shop in California. I am very familiar with the work as this is a state of the technology shop who we have freely traded information with.

See what I mean regarding the state of the art being constantly pushed.

Hello Chad,

How is the build coming along?

We have just finished our 4.0L engine for our Japanese customer. We followed similar paths as you with the exception of the Cam. We have done a further iteration of the initial design so we can offer this for sale. We are not using the Hydraulic Tappets, rather have gone to Solids as we can run a much more aggressive opening Cam giving far better off idle engine response.

We made some very special Liners that have a Beryllium Top ring/ Flange that allow us to run far more Ignition timing and boost as the Ring helps with the In Cylinder Temps under load. This is kind of special stuff we do. This technology is unknown by most. The whole head/ flange combination runs without any Head Gasket. The passages are O ringed and the Cylinders are sealed by a special Beryllium Fusion ring. We have done this before on the Subaru Rally engines we built. It works really well.

So far the engine has out performed our expectations. The engine will come down for inspection so that we can look at all of the parts before shipping to Japan. We ran with some special fuel ELF made for us so that we could push the boost limit to extreme. We did and the engine performed flawlessly. The acid test is going to be inspecting the parts to see if everything held up OK inside.

mt72 05-21-2007 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by cjv
Here is an e-mail that I recently recieved. Gives you an idea what some of our counter parts are doing in Japan. The work is being done by a shop in California. I am very familiar with the work as this is a state of the technology shop who we have freely traded information with.

See what I mean regarding the state of the art being constantly pushed.

Hello Chad,

How is the build coming along?

We have just finished our 4.0L engine for our Japanese customer. We followed similar paths as you with the exception of the Cam. We have done a further iteration of the initial design so we can offer this for sale. We are not using the Hydraulic Tappets, rather have gone to Solids as we can run a much more aggressive opening Cam giving far better off idle engine response.

We made some very special Liners that have a Beryllium Top ring/ Flange that allow us to run far more Ignition timing and boost as the Ring helps with the In Cylinder Temps under load. This is kind of special stuff we do. This technology is unknown by most. The whole head/ flange combination runs without any Head Gasket. The passages are O ringed and the Cylinders are sealed by a special Beryllium Fusion ring. We have done this before on the Subaru Rally engines we built. It works really well.

So far the engine has out performed our expectations. The engine will come down for inspection so that we can look at all of the parts before shipping to Japan. We ran with some special fuel ELF made for us so that we could push the boost limit to extreme. We did and the engine performed flawlessly. The acid test is going to be inspecting the parts to see if everything held up OK inside.

Wonder if they will share any spec on the cams ... Your Build Chad as proven that nothing stops the dream from rising cause it's made from the same essence
Tom

cjv 05-24-2007 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by mt72
Wonder if they will share any spec on the cams ... Your Build Chad as proven that nothing stops the dream from rising cause it's made from the same essence
Tom

Tom.

This is the company who did the research for my cams. They designed them and built them for me. They will not disclose this information. I have shared my info with Todd @ Protomotive and an individual on this board who is close to UMW. They will not disclose the info., but for the right reasons and an agreement to not disclose I will share the info.

mt72 05-24-2007 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by cjv
Tom.

This is the company who did the research for my cams. They designed them and built them for me. They will not disclose this information. I have shared my info with Todd @ Protomotive and an individual on this board who is close to UMW. They will not disclose the info., but for the right reasons and an agreement to not disclose I will share the info.

I Understand and I hope I will be able to purchase a set in a few months from now . R&D is the secret of many coporation specialy in Japan :cool:
Thanks for the prompt response

cjv 05-25-2007 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by mt72
I Understand and I hope I will be able to purchase a set in a few months from now . R&D is the secret of many coporation specialy in Japan :cool:
Thanks for the prompt response

There is a little bit involved in using these cams. If you are serious and it was for your own personal use I would be happy to arrange for you to get a set of cams at my cost.

vtgts300kw 05-29-2007 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by cjv
I would be happy to arrange for you to get a set of cams at my cost.

http://talk.wwwomen.com/images/smilies/bowdown.gif

your a gentleman and a scholar.

cjv 05-30-2007 06:03 PM

Just a little update ........... everything is behind as usual. :(

What happened. Well, for some reason Protomotive got my heads but not the liners. Now they have both. :) I spoke with Todd today and he is going on vacation this week and won't be back until the 13th. Then he will start the o-ring work. I'll be lucky if I see the parts by Independence Day.

Gramicci101 05-30-2007 06:20 PM

Did anything promising come out of talking to MSD or another ignition system company?