Tuning/Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:09 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Looking forward to the dyno numbers Chad

Old 10-26-2009, 03:30 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by art4iza
Looking forward to the dyno numbers Chad
Art,

This will be different from other dyno numbers seen on 6speed. The motor will be tuned on a room engine dyno.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:56 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !

Last edited by cjv; 02-24-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:11 PM
cjv
Here is the take from one of our tuners regarding which way to go with the ECU.

Chad,

Our system can use any of these. It all depends upon what you require in a tune. This whole debate is about how you calibrate the load of the engine. Typically street engines today use MAF. This measures the air mass the engine uses. Probably the best for street cars but has limitations based upon the scaling of the sensor. Once it reaches its output limit, either voltage or frequency if digital, you get CEL lights etc., going off. The most common load axis for aftermarket systems is MAP, Manifold Air Pressure. However, you need a system that compensates for altitude. A barometric sensor should be included and the baro value used in the algorithm.

AFM systems are old and no longer used on modern engines. This is the old style air Flow meter with what is often described as having a “barn door”.

Alpha N is nothing more than using a TPS sensor, inputting the throttle angle. This is used on some early NA race engines where there is little change in elevation. However, if you ever drive up a hill, you will be in trouble with your fueling calculations. You can drive up a hill and not change the throttle angle, but the load on the engine changes. In a Turbo engine this would be instant trouble.

Typically we use MGP (manifold gauge pressure, MAP with the baro compensate) as the load value on the main fuel map, MAP on the Ignition map, and often use the TPS input on the overlay maps (4D, 5D, & 6D). This gives the best results. Also, if mapped with the AFR correction turned on, any future changes required in AFR can be done in the AFR map and the main fuel map values will be changed automatically to obtain the new required AFR value without the need to re dyno the engine.

The load unit axis on any map used with our system is completely user defined. You have to have the sensor installed and make sure it is capable of generating a signal value within the scaling the tuner desires. There are some other factors that should be considered also. Sometimes in high performance Turbo engines, MAF sensor can give errors when the intake air is reversed thro the system under sudden throttle changes. The “pop off” valves used today should eliminate this, but I have seen many instances where the sensitivity of the MAF was to high for the slower acting valves. This is why Manifold Pressure sensors are used more and under the same circumstances give a better result. For greater accuracy and when emissions are the number one requirement, MAF is by far the better system, but for performance, using MAP is easier and more common.

I am a big believer in engine Ignition systems. Ignition is the area where most take for granted and is the area that can offer the greatest return. How a system is calibrated is very important, but so is having an ignition system that is capable of igniting the fuel completely and at higher temperatures. This ALWAYS results in more cylinder pressure and a higher specific Torque output. The stock system uses Inductive. I do not wish to get into a debate over which is better. This is an old debate that still goes on today. Usually with people that do not even understand the real differences. I leave it up to the dyno to show. I have never been proven wrong when we have used CDI. It is used when required, not just across the board. With your engine, it is absolutely necessary. I hear about all of these high powered engines that still use the Inductive system. Not to argue their merits, but it is my opinion that the Ignition system was never considered. I see other Coils now been offered. Caution should be applied here. They are still Inductive and you cannot defy the laws of physics. Inductive systems can only generate the level of spark energy based upon the Coil windings. Some state that have amplifiers built in. These have been well and truly tested and “sold” for many years. All are based upon the same theme. However, we have tested most and never have we found anything that comes close to using CDI. These street engines use 14V as the system voltage pressure. Anything that uses this voltage is limited to output. CDI uses voltages in excess of 450Volts. Inductive systems have to be discharged or fired once they are fully charged. Dwell control is used to control this at different RPM’s. CDI requires none of this control and stores the excess charge in the systems capacitors. This excess energy is then used to fire the Plugs, resulting in greater energy been released into the combustion chamber. This results in higher Torque valves. Some will tell you that inductive is used in racing. Yes it is, but these engines are typically not Turbocharged and the system voltages are not 14Volts.

Every part of the engine needs to be well thought out and considered.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:14 AM
cjv
As usual nothing about this build is easy. To finish the intake plumbing a couple of decisions have to be made. One is MAF or Speed density. The above was the argument for the speed density. MAF is better for emissions and it has a lot of good points as long as it is in range. The Mustang MAF that we are looking at is rated for 1200 hp. As we know with the Porsche MAF which is rated for about 400 hp ....... it can be pushed to about 600 hp before it starts to cause troubles like thrown CEL's etc.

I wonder what the Hitachi MAF like Joetwint is using is rated for?

The long and the short is our build is capable of 1200 hp with little effort. Maybe at something like 1.2 bar. It has the capability of over twice that boost. On the other hand, when is enough power enough? Special high octane fuels will also start to become an issue. The glory of all this power definitely comes at the cost of a very short motor life. Besides the turbo's we have finally settled on will produce a solid 1300 hp without over boosting. Maybe 1430 with over boost. Pushing the boost above say 1.5 bar would require larger turbo's. The Mustang MAF should handle this overage without issues.

Interesting choices. I'd like to hear other's opinions.

Last edited by cjv; 10-27-2009 at 04:19 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:58 PM
cjv
hmmmmmmm. We can now control everything.

Last edited by cjv; 05-02-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Porscha is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cjv
hmmmmmmm. We can now control everything.
Are those twin injector pockets Chad? And a custom TB or what?

Old 10-28-2009, 06:42 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by Porscha
Are those twin injector pockets Chad? And a custom TB or what?
Did some basic calc’s and for 1300+ HP we will need approx 1300cc/min flow per Injector. This should give around 220-230HP per cylinder at approx 95% Duty cycle, at a conservative BSFC number. The engine could run the Injectors that close to wide open as we will have good control and known numbers at all mapped points. At peak torque the Injector will be approx 95% DC where the engine will require the most fuel consumption. After this, the numbers will get better. Also, by changing the Injection point (timing) we can alter the flow requirements which should make a big difference not only to the specific output numbers but also the fuel consumption.

There are not many Injectors that will flow this amount of fuel even at the higher pressures. The biggest Bosch EV style Injector in standard length flows 658gm/min @ 3B. So we will need to run very high pressures or two Injectors. We will run as high a pressure as we can to drive the Injectors and run a 2nd injector.

We are using six of these TB's. The TB's are not custom ...... just single TB's that we will link together and add two servo motors that will respond to the throttle by wire.

[

Last edited by cjv; 05-02-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:20 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Chad, this build is becoming a legend LOL. Great work as always and patiently waiting to see this beast start breathing

Old 10-29-2009, 08:18 AM
cjv
Chad, this build is becoming a legend LOL. Great work as always and patiently waiting to see this beast start breathing
Art,

One of these days it will be completed. Just not sure which one.

Trouble is the new Porsche direct injection heads caught my attention. I ordered a head and an intake and exhaust valve just to check all the measurements and explore the possibilities.

Last edited by cjv; 10-29-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Porscha is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cjv
We are using six of these TB's. The TB's are not custom ...... just single TB's that we will link together and add two servo motors that will respond to the throttle by wire.
I am confused...........I thought you were using roller barrel type TB's?

Old 10-29-2009, 06:41 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by Porscha
I am confused...........I thought you were using roller barrel type TB's?
I actually started with RSR TB's. Then started to explore barrel type with Protomotive. The person who Todd deals with would not sell the roller barrels without their intake and their intake didn't appear to be a match for our motor.

I was discussing the problem with Performance Developments and Neil came up with the above. Neil is presently working with Rob @ S Car Go to match the TB's and dual injectors with our World Cup Plenum.

We are not out of the woods yet.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Thumbs up

Neil is the man. He has proven to me that he can do what Mackenzie heads can do but also better

Originally Posted by cjv
I actually started with RSR TB's. Then started to explore barrel type with Protomotive. The person who Todd deals with would not sell the roller barrels without their intake and their intake didn't appear to be a match for our motor.

I was discussing the problem with Performance Developments and Neil came up with the above. Neil is presently working with Rob @ S Car Go to match the TB's and dual injectors with our World Cup Plenum.

We are not out of the woods yet.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:07 PM
cjv
Neil is the man. He has proven to me that he can do what Mackenzie heads can do but also better
The big difference between the Performance Developments and the Mackenzie heads is the utilized spring pressures. The PD heads simply do not beat up the seats with the high spring pressures.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:58 AM
cjv
This could be good or bad. Becoming a legend and the motor isn't even in the car. Will she live up to the hype? Time will tell.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring