Tuning/Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 03-11-2005, 10:57 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I'm going to ponder on that but if it's not bearings then I'm stumped???

Don't make me open up the engine again. I just got it back today

Old 03-11-2005, 11:25 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by sharkster
I'm going to ponder on that but if it's not bearings then I'm stumped???

Don't make me open up the engine again. I just got it back today
The Nikasil barrels are not advised for usage in excess of 700 hp. Steel barrels can not only be made thinner, but they are alot stronger. The Nikasil is prone to cracking above this power range.

Old 03-12-2005, 12:38 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Ah bloody heck... it never ends eh? Well let's see at this rate my next rebuild will be in 10,000miles...

Old 03-12-2005, 07:58 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by sharkster
Ah bloody heck... it never ends eh?
Alex,

I find it amazing how little is known about a motor that in concept has been around for a long time. People believe the 996tt, GT3, GT3 Cup and GT3 R motors are interchangeable. Well, I guess they are with one heck of alot of "minor" details.

Now if only someone could tell me about all these "minor" details.

Old 03-12-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by cjv
Alex,

I find it amazing how little is known about a motor that in concept has been around for a long time. People believe the 996tt, GT3, GT3 Cup and GT3 R motors are interchangeable. Well, I guess they are with one heck of alot of "minor" details.

Now if only someone could tell me about all these "minor" details.
I hear you on the minor details There's always some tiny difference that ends up being a wolrd of difference with these things...

One thing's for sure, I think you're going to end up with a few built motors!

Old 03-12-2005, 12:11 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
CJV,

Who is supplying your steel barrels and what is the cost?

Thanks,

Craig

Old 03-12-2005, 12:35 PM
cjv
Originally posted by Craig
CJV,

Who is supplying your steel barrels and what is the cost?

Thanks,

Craig
Craig,

About two years ago I purchased multiple sets of 102 and 104 mm pistons/barrels from Woosner in Germany. At the time my cost was $2,800.00 per set. Recently I understand from Kevin that Woosner now only sells the pistons. I believe he told me he tried to but a set. I am currently trying to find a source for the steel barrels. FVD USA use to sell this product, however I don't believe they attached or advertised the Woosner name with it. Maybe Evan (AMGETR) can add to this?

If any of our German 6speed members could find out where Woosner use to get their steel barrels it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
9ff used steel barrels on their record breaking car (http://www.excellence-mag.com/art1/art1p2.html) -- you might want to contact them. Keep me posted, as I may follow suit.

Thanks,

Craig

Old 03-12-2005, 03:13 PM
Jim Higgs at JB Racing (352/343-8900) will custom fabricate steel barrels for $3k.

Craig

Old 03-12-2005, 08:46 PM
cjv
Originally posted by Craig
9ff used steel barrels on their record breaking car (http://www.excellence-mag.com/art1/art1p2.html) -- you might want to contact them. Keep me posted, as I may follow suit.

Thanks,

Craig
Craig,

I have a few sets of steel barrels that I originally received with the pistons that I bought from Wossner. I was looking for a source for replacements in the future. Thanks for the lead.

Old 03-15-2005, 07:35 AM
cjv
I asked Rob to send me a picture of the Woosner piston after the required flycutting was complete. Hope to have it soon. The pistons are now being made. The rings will be lowered to prevent detonation and the compression will be 9.0-1. There will also be some other required changes. We will be using the steel/plasma treated barrels received from Woosner.

Old 03-19-2005, 01:37 PM
cjv
The pistons are coming along great. In the mean time we learned a few more bits of information. I had mentioned earlier that I belived the GT3 Cup motors used hydralic lifters. Well the answer is no and yes.

When we originally ordered the GT3 Cup heads, valves and lifters I thought they were hydralic. What we received was solid. Today we learned they are available both ways. The 2001/2002 GT3 Cup motors used solid lifters. The 2003, 2004 and 2005 GT3 Cup motors use hydralic lifters. By the way the valve lengths are also different in the GT3, GT3 Cup solid and GT3 Cup hydralic. It's really too bad this information isn't available from Porsche.

Old 03-19-2005, 01:53 PM
Banned
red944 has a reputation beyond reputered944 has a reputation beyond reputered944 has a reputation beyond reputered944 has a reputation beyond reputered944 has a reputation beyond reputered944 has a reputation beyond reputered944 has a reputation beyond reputered944 has a reputation beyond reputered944 has a reputation beyond reputered944 has a reputation beyond reputered944 has a reputation beyond repute
CJV this is the best thread ever, thank you for sharing. KA is gonna be a Monster when she is finished.

Old 03-19-2005, 08:51 PM
cjv
Originally posted by red944
CJV this is the best thread ever, thank you for sharing. KA is gonna be a Monster when she is finished.
red944,

I'm really happy you have found the thread of interest. These pistons ought to be really interesting. The design isn't easy, but it isn't the trick part. The material being use is what is trick. The material will withstand a two bar boost and a progressive 250 hp shot of nitrous. To compound matters the pistons have valve pockets right through the edge of the pistons. Yes, to the liner wall! Due to the alloy being used the piston slugs cost about $1400.00 each (tuners cost) before wrist pins, rings and machining.

If we attain the anticipated 1200-1300 SAE rwhp, very little to no lag and streetable then she will truely be the monster we have invisioned.

Talk has already focused around how we are going to prevent her from going airborne................ in a straight line.

Old 03-19-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by cjv
The Nikasil barrels are not advised for usage in excess of 700 hp. Steel barrels can not only be made thinner, but they are alot stronger. The Nikasil is prone to cracking above this power range.
Are you not worried about leakadge due to differntial and thermal expansion when using the steel liners?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring