Tuning/Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 03-19-2005, 09:03 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by sharkster
Are you not worried about leakadge due to differntial and thermal expansion when using the steel liners?
sharkster,

Steel liners that have had the internal barrels plasma welded treated have been sucessfully used on four cylinders producing over 1200 hp. We have the same type of liners and anticipate no issues. I'll get Rob to send me some pics of these liners. I understand the current cost of these liners are about $1,000.00 each.

Old 03-22-2005, 04:20 PM
carnut is on a distinguished road
Hey Chad-
What's the point of 1300 RWHP? Can you actually get that power to the ground? At what speed does the traction problem go away? Considering you can't go full throttle without just spinning your tires with that much power, are you really going to be any faster (potentially slower) than if you had say 900 RWHP? I'm just curious at what point you start to get negative results (as opposed to the standard diminishing results).

Old 03-22-2005, 07:16 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by carnut
Hey Chad-
What's the point of 1300 RWHP? Can you actually get that power to the ground? At what speed does the traction problem go away? Considering you can't go full throttle without just spinning your tires with that much power, are you really going to be any faster (potentially slower) than if you had say 900 RWHP? I'm just curious at what point you start to get negative results (as opposed to the standard diminishing results).
Cary,

Good questions. The car is being designed to operate at 2.0 bar maximum. This is where the 1200/1300 hp with the new displacement will come from. In real life, the car will operate at 1.2 bar which will produce 900-950 hp.

We are using some larger turbo's which will introduce some lag. This is where the nitrous comes in. We will be progressively adding small amounts of nitrous from 3000 to approximately 4200 rpm's. Just enough to smoothly ramp the boost. At 4200 rpm's the nitrous will then progressively ramp down to zero.

Of course we can either use it or not use it. Just like we can use additional boost by simply raising it if we have the proper fuel in the tank. The way the motor is being built it will respond like a 962, rpm and power wise. As for "negative returns," yes this is possible, however dialing down the boost or going back to a little smaller turbo would not be out of the question if needed.

As for power to the ground ...... all gears have been changed. First will attain 78 mph, second 106 mph. The next three gears have been shortened and sixth has been lengthened to attain in theory 262 mph. The clutch is three disc and will handle all 1200 ponies. The axles and cv joints have all been upgraded. Currently we have 10.5 and 12.5 wheels with 275/18 and 335/18 for tires.

We should know soon. Just because we assemble and tune it doesn't mean we are done. Although I would really hope to be done.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:16 PM
carnut is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the response. Can't wait to see KA at some type of shootout.

Old 03-23-2005, 10:27 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by cjv
Just because we assemble and tune it doesn't mean we are done. Although I would really hope to be done.
These cars are never done ... We'll probably be modding these for some time yet

Old 03-24-2005, 04:07 PM
cjv
Here are some of the pics of what we had to go through to obtain deck height of turbo stock, turbo with GT3 crank and our rods, turbo with GT3 crank and woosner pistons and GT3 crank, rods and pistons.
Woosner 102 mm piston.

Woosner 102 mm piston. The deck height on the stock turbo and Woosner piston is .040.

Top: GT3 crank, knife edged, stroked, reduced journal diameter/machined for oval bearings. Bottom: Stock GT3 crank.

Knifed Edge crank with custom Pauter rods. These babies are no ordinary Pauter rod.

Old 03-24-2005, 04:20 PM
cjv
GT3 stock crank.

Last edited by cjv; 11-16-2007 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:38 PM
Garey Cooper is on a distinguished road
Chad, it looks like one of those cranks has been knife edged? Which one is which crank? Also looking down into the cylinder bore I don't see the boat tailing? Or, are you still in the stage of seeing exactly which type of widgets you'll use in the final assembly before the fine details are done?

Looks like fun stuff though!

Old 03-24-2005, 05:14 PM
cjv
Originally posted by Garey Cooper
Chad, it looks like one of those cranks has been knife edged? Which one is which crank? Also looking down into the cylinder bore I don't see the boat tailing? Or, are you still in the stage of seeing exactly which type of widgets you'll use in the final assembly before the fine details are done?

Looks like fun stuff though!
Hi Garey. Are you still running the Techart coilovers?

Both of the cranks shown are GT3 cranks. The one that is knife edged also is stroked 2 mm and the journals reduced to approx. two inch diameter. The rods you see are the Pauter rods made to go with the custom crank. That knife edged crank is also designed to use oval bearings. The other crank is a stock GT3 crank. The turbo crank was not shown.

We have three cases. Two old style and one new style with the ribbs. Rob is not using the boatailed case for mock up to obtain piston deck height. In addition, Duane Berkey is the person who has so graciously allowed me to use his home site for the pics and I just couldn't use all of his available space to show all the pics.

The above work was done to obtain the deck height for the GT3 crank, Pauter rods, GT3 custom profiled cams and GT3 Cup heads so we can properly design the piston valve pockets. You wouldn't believe the differences in dimensions we discovered between the turbo, GT3, GT3 Cup motors. To make matters worse, the GT3 Cup motors had different valve dimensions (I am not refering to width either) prior to 2002 and after. THey even went from solid to hydralic lifters. Of course, Porsche won't give out dimensions, so we bought all the different motor parts to verify our own dimensions.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:49 PM
cjv
Pauter Rod Close up.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:24 PM
cjv
This is what the GT3 cam housings look like. They are a far more substancial part than the one used on the turbo motor.

The flange ends on the GT3 housings are a much beefier piece.

Old 03-26-2005, 02:55 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I wanna see that intake manifold:P

Old 03-26-2005, 06:38 AM
cjv
Originally posted by sharkster
I wanna see that intake manifold:P
OK sharkster, is this what you wanted to see?

Old 03-26-2005, 07:08 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !

Old 03-26-2005, 08:16 AM
fasteddiett has a spectacular aura aboutfasteddiett has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by cjv
OK sharkster, is this what you wanted to see?

looking good....for a motor that cost more than my gt3

hehe

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring