Moving to California / Should I sell my STi before I get there?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 11:08 AM
keyser_soze has a spectacular aura aboutkeyser_soze has a spectacular aura about
Moving to California / Should I sell my STi before I get there?

Moving from IL>CA
Did a lot of reading, and it seems to be close to impossible and PITA to:
1. Register my car in CA (Most likely impossible unless I can get hook up on smog)
2. Maintain it in CA (not get pulled over and get sent to the Ref..)

So I'm thinking of selling it...

This pretty much sums it up...

My understanding is you pretty much don't daily drive a modified car in California...and if you were to do it, you have to purchase new in California so you are exempt for 6 years. Then still if you moded and got ticketed and got sent to Ref your F*ed.

Enlighten me please...

Thanks...

Here is the car...mods are bascially all bolt-on full 3.5" TBE, bigger turbo, injectors, FMIC, etc etc. basically I will not butcher the car and put it back to stock

Old 10-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Russkiy_M3 is on a distinguished road
Don't sell it. I see plenty of nice cars driving around everyday.

It also depends where you are moving to. If you are moving into San Francisco it's going to be a little more difficult. Driving conditions in the city are pretty crappy and make sure you have a garage if you are moving into the city. Other than that, you are fine. You are not driving an F1 car or an Enzo.

Btw, nice STI. I was considering getting on.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:35 PM
intence is on a distinguished road
i remember seeing your car on nasioc. its definately one of the best looking ones. i love the red ic pipes that is visible through the hood. did u ever get a kstech hood vent?

Old 10-07-2007, 02:25 PM
domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !
My advice, for those that are planning to move into CA (and wish to keep your mods)...to keep your out of state registration if possible. Additionally, ensure that you're not the only person on the registration.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:10 AM
keyser_soze has a spectacular aura aboutkeyser_soze has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by domlee
My advice, for those that are planning to move into CA (and wish to keep your mods)...to keep your out of state registration if possible. Additionally, ensure that you're not the only person on the registration.
I thought about this... but major problem with it is...if you need to make a claim on your insurance...your insurance needs to know where you live etc...

also i just re-registered in IL so i'm good for about another 10 months...but what then?

I'm not only worried about having trouble with the car in CA on my own...I'm afraid if I bring it...and then decide its too much of a hassel and want to sell it it be more difficult...for the same reasons I would be wanting to sell it...and may get low balled on the price...

Old 10-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by intence
i remember seeing your car on nasioc. its definately one of the best looking ones. i love the red ic pipes that is visible through the hood. did u ever get a kstech hood vent?
thnx...not sure what kstech is...i made a custom polycarbonate cover for my hole in the hood...see-through and its a bad *** material...100 times stronger than glass, heat resistant, no-fumes etc...

cheers

Old 10-08-2007, 07:09 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
Keep your car registered in IL

Old 10-09-2007, 02:55 PM
intence is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by keyser_soze
thnx...not sure what kstech is...i made a custom polycarbonate cover for my hole in the hood...see-through and its a bad *** material...100 times stronger than glass, heat resistant, no-fumes etc...

cheers
http://www.kstech.biz/servlet/the-4/...d-scoop/Detail

Old 10-21-2007, 07:36 PM
2 questions:
1. What happens in a year when I need to renew my registration?
2. What heppens if you need to make a claim on your insurance? Ah...I just drove here for and got into an accident?

Old 10-21-2007, 07:37 PM
2 questions:
1. What happens in a year when I need to renew my registration?
2. What happens if you need to make a claim on your insurance? Ah...I just drove here for and got into an accident?

Old 12-05-2007, 02:24 PM
bump...
got couple offers....accepting the one in OC : )

still not sure what to do with the car...thinking of selling it more...come there get a used S2K and turbo it...or...wait for a skyline...or a used 996TT ?!

Last edited by keyser_soze; 12-05-2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:21 PM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
If you move here and don't swap to California plates and smog its a impound truck for you after 30 days. You will get pulled over in that car more then you expect. Sell it and buy a TT, no such thing as a skyline here without major connections.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:43 AM
mon3ypit is on a distinguished road
i say keep it...make some good friend with car guys out there because someone will have hook up on smog. You will not get get pulled over or what not by the cops if you don't drive like a jack A$$, plus your car is not a honda and it looks pretty much stock. I drive my fixed up honda with a K-swap, loud exhaust and stuff haven't got pulled over in it yet (knock on wood) and if you sell the car and want a skyline, i got a friend selling a R33 if you are interested. PM me in you are interested.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:15 AM
thanks dudes...thanks for the suggestions.

i was talking about the new skyline... so sell it...chill...save some loot...then buy it not even when it comes right out...but maybe after a year or so buy a used one... i also am very curious as far as what Toyota and Mazda will release as their next sport/super-car

Old 12-12-2007, 03:46 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by keyser_soze
I thought about this... but major problem with it is...if you need to make a claim on your insurance...your insurance needs to know where you live etc...

also i just re-registered in IL so i'm good for about another 10 months...but what then?

I'm not only worried about having trouble with the car in CA on my own...I'm afraid if I bring it...and then decide its too much of a hassel and want to sell it it be more difficult...for the same reasons I would be wanting to sell it...and may get low balled on the price...
My wife spent a year in DC w/ her car registered in CA but paying VA insurance

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Moving to California / Should I sell my STi before I get there?