Ideas for epic father/son road trip??

Old 10-07-2010, 03:01 PM
TorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud of
Ideas for epic father/son road trip??

Ideas for epic father/son road trip?? Fellow 6ers,
My Dad is turning 70 this month and I want to give him the road trip that he never had.

Due to his health, I'm thinking that a 5-7 day trip is perfect. It allows us to cherry pick one of the VERY BEST cruising routes in the continental U.S. The idea is to fly into an airport (if applicable). Rent a super comfy car (that's perhaps a bit unique). And hit the road. Enjoy the scenery. Crash at motels/B&Bs/inns. Catch some cool sites that are pure Americana. And finish the trip at some really cool spot.

My goal is an EPIC father/son trip here gents!

Timing/location/etc. are all TBD. Part of the fun will be planning the trip with my Dad. However, I want to provide a few different types of trips we can take to let him guide me on what would give him a lifetime thrill.

SO - LOOKING FOR YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE BEST ROADS IN THE COUNTRY AND HOW TO BEST ENJOY THEM. It'll probably be in the Spring or early Summer if that helps.

Let your minds go wild!

As background to help your thinking: My Dad's passion is American History (with a focus on the Revolutionary and Civil Wars). He's a traveled a ton with his work and has stayed at all the top hotels. He's more likely to be "wowed" at this stage in life by an inn that's a converted carriage house, a quirky road side display or a historic diner with the best burgers in the area. That type of stuff! (Note: he's not a car guy so something like the Tail of the Dragon wouldn't work here.)

I'm posting this in a few regional chapters here on 6Speed because I honestly don't know which part of the country he wants to see up close and personal. Want to collect a bunch of ideas from each part of the country to A) psyche him up about the trip, and B) open him up to the endless possibilities.

Part of the excitement of a trip, as you guys know, is in the planning.

So, what would be an epic trip in the West?

Much thanks and appreciation for your thoughts!

Old 01-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Gotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to all
Hwy 1 from Los Angeles to northern California in a convertible during the spring is best. Make sure to visit sonoma vineyards.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:25 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gotnem108
Hwy 1 from Los Angeles to northern California in a convertible during the spring is best. Make sure to visit sonoma vineyards.
Hwy 1 for sure. You can fly into LAX, rent a convertible for sure. Stay along the coast on the way up (it's a longer route but well worth the drive). Malibu, Big Sur, Monterey, SF, then up to Napa/Sonoma.

Very good idea to take your dad on a road trip! +1