Wheels/Tires
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RIMs 101? What to look for in a set of RIMs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Clean Livin is infamous around these parts
RIMs 101? What to look for in a set of RIMs?

Started this thread in the 911 forum, then found this one and hope to get more answers here:

In short, are all RIMS created equal?

I'm pondering putting different RIMS on my new 2008 911S Cab - has the standard 911 19" RIMS with Michelins. Love the Michelins but think the car could look a bit better with a different set of RIMs.

I finding the price of RIMs to be all over the place and have no way to define what is quality verse less than quality. Many different manufacturers and models.

Plan to stick with 19" wheels and use my existing Michelins with only 700 miles on the car, unless there is compelling reasons to go larger - this is a car that will never see the track - just enjoying driving it on the highway!

Input appreciated regarding best manufacturers and models for a 2008 911S Cab Meteor Gray, black top and sand beige interior.

Pros/cons of one piece verse 3 piece, brushed/chromed, etc.

Lot to learn as this is not a cheap mod!

Thanks,
Jack

Old 08-13-2008, 01:47 PM
cporterfield is infamous around these parts
I think you mean "wheels." :-)

Old 08-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
My advice is to search this forum for the hundreds of images of cars with aftermarket wheels and pick a style you like.
Then you should ask the readers for feedback about that manufacturer and it's products. You'll find this is not a shy bunch.
If you tend toward the really careful side, ask the "selected" wheel manufacturer for copies of their third-party test data. Those that have it will cheerfully provide it. Those that don't will think of a hundred reasons why

1. It's not important
2. They shouldn't give it to you

if you have technical questions please feel free to PM me.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
You would do well to educate yourself on a few different makers so you are better equiped.

You'll get 1,000 replies as to what is better but what matters to you is most essential.

There are a few well known makers- HRE, Champion, iForged, AVUS- but there are others.

Take your time and you will come out on top.

Your most independent and honest replies will come from those who do not sell wheels!

Old 08-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Clean Livin is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cporterfield
I think you mean "wheels." :-)
No, I mean the RIMS the tires wrap around to form a "wheel". At least that's what I've known them as.
You know, those hopefully round metal thingies that the Michelins wrap around??

OK, enough playing around. I'm sincerely interested in learning what are the characteristics that make a great Wheel/RIM??? I've been surprised by how few responses there have been from folks.

This is a serious investment folks make - is it based primarily on "lust" for a certain look? Must be rational behind an intelligent decision.

Jack

Old 08-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
You can see by the last ridiculous response, Jack, that you should do your own research.

Tomorrow go over to Naples Motorsports and have Todd show you some wheels. He has some nice cars, and plenty will have nice "rims".

He may give you some advice and maybe get you a deal on wheels.

Then you'll have a good idea.

Champion Motorsports (Champion Porsche at http://www.champion-motors.com/) is in Pompano Beach. Look up what they have and that will give you an idea as well.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Jack, you're a photographer. You live in the visual arts. Pick a style you like.
There are other factors like low unsprung weight, forged vs. cast, etc. But you seem to not be the kind of guy to appreciate the highly technical aspects of performance wheels, or spend time at the race track.
If you want a safe choice, talk to the guys whose names appear in the banners to the right. Call Wheel Experts or Wheel Enhancement or someone like that and they will steer you right.

Originally Posted by Clean Livin
No, I mean the RIMS the tires wrap around to form a "wheel". At least that's what I've known them as.
You know, those hopefully round metal thingies that the Michelins wrap around??

OK, enough playing around. I'm sincerely interested in learning what are the characteristics that make a great Wheel/RIM??? I've been surprised by how few responses there have been from folks.

This is a serious investment folks make - is it based primarily on "lust" for a certain look? Must be rational behind an intelligent decision.

Jack

Old 08-14-2008, 05:27 PM
hdm
Banned
hdm is infamous around these partshdm is infamous around these parts
Jack you live in Naples Florida right? If you are ok with it, take a little drive down to Miami you are more than welcome to our shop. I will be glad to explain everything that has to do with wheels, then you can make a choice for yourself. Let me know if necessary on the weekend, call me up or pm me and I will be glad to come to the shop and open up.
Thanks
C@HDM