What did the 997 sound like?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 09:43 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
What did the 997 sound like?

Question for all of you who previously drove a 997 and bought a 991 (or maybe still have both.) What did the 997 sound like in relation to the 991?

The reason I ask is I was previously in a 987 Cayman for seven years before my 2014 991. The Cayman's Flat-6 engine noise was much, much more prominent. I'm not just talking about exhaust noise, I'm talking about engine noise too.

Now I realize a large part of this was because it sat 2'' behind my rear shoulder and not tucked behind the rear axle.

Which is why I ask, what did the 997 sound like?

This is NOT a sport exhaust question. With all due respect I don't want to get into a discussion about various exhaust options or muffler delete options. I just want to know what the 997 sounded like relative to the 991. Not just exhaust noise but general ambient engine noise too.

Because I think the 991's engine is way too quiet. Unless I'm over 4,000RPMs I can barely even tell I have a flat-6 back there. Which I was always aware of in the Cayman.

Anyway, it is what it is now, but I'm interested in what it was before the model change.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:48 PM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
The 997 DID sound pretty darn nice. As a matter of fact, it still does.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:56 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by hawc
Question for all of you who previously drove a 997 and bought a 991 (or maybe still have both.) What did the 997 sound like in relation to the 991?

The reason I ask is I was previously in a 987 Cayman for seven years before my 2014 991. The Cayman's Flat-6 engine noise was much, much more prominent. I'm not just talking about exhaust noise, I'm talking about engine noise too.

Now I realize a large part of this was because it sat 2'' behind my rear shoulder and not tucked behind the rear axle.

This is NOT a sport exhaust question. With all due respect I don't want to get into a discussion about various exhaust options or muffler delete options. I just want to know what the 997 sounded like relative to the 991. Not just exhaust noise but general ambient engine noise too.

Because I think the 991's engine is way too quiet. Unless I'm over 4,000RPMs I can barely even tell I have a flat-6 back there. Which I was always aware of in the Cayman.

Anyway, it is what it is now, but I'm interested in what it was before the model change.
I had a 987s and still miss the sound. It's quite different given the proximity to the engineq as you said but the outside noise is also different.
On the 997.2 I replaced the side resonators and deleted the middle muffler. Even without those changes the noise was FAR better.
The stock 991s on sport mode is tame. PSE helps but still not the same as the 997.2. I deleted the middle muffler, improved the overall sound but the 997.2 is still deeper and more neighbor disturbance material. Dare I repeat someone else's words, the 991 is a better car but the 997 is (was) a better 911 and that includes the sound.
My 2c

Old 12-20-2014, 08:55 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold

I preferred the sound of my 997, so I "tuned" my 991 to sound more like it. I plugged the sound symposer to hear less intake noise (which I didn't care for) and more of the external engine/exhaust noise. Also, removing the sound insulation behind the panel under the rear window (very easy job) may make your 991 sound closer to your Cayman.

Last edited by fbroen; 12-20-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:30 AM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by fbroen
Also, removing the sound insulation behind the panel under the rear window (very easy job) may make your 991 sound closer to your Cayman.
How is this done? I've tried to pry it open and I must be doing something wrong. Thanks. Sorry for derailing this thread - a little.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:49 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Pull straight out (toward front of car). Only clips hold it in, no tools required.
Pics here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ser-991-a.html

Last edited by fbroen; 12-20-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:17 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Great responses so far. I'd love to hear even more.

I had thought about removing some sound proofing materials.

Tell me more about what the sound symposer does and why 'plugging' it makes the engine sound better.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:58 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
I had a 997 and now have a 991S, both with standard exhaust (no PSE). The 997 was pathetic. I have never, ever, wanted to buy an aftermarket exhaust as much as I did on this car.

The 991 is much better. It's got a nice little raspy snarl at idle and take-off, then the exhaust valve closes for quiet comfortable cruising. If you put your foot into it, or get the RPMs high, or put it in sport mode, the valve opens and you get some decent sounds.

Neither car offers the aural ecstasy that the early Carreras, 964 or even 993 offered.

I don't want a loud car (BTDT) but the 997 was just too suppressed and choked. It wasn't a volume issue - the 991 is quieter - but a quality issue.

HTH.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:35 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Great responses so far. I'd love to hear even more.

I had thought about removing some sound proofing materials.

Tell me more about what the sound symposer does and why 'plugging' it makes the engine sound better.
There are a ton of symposer threads circling around the 991 section as we speak. Basically, you're blocking the valve that allows the intake/engine noise to leak into the cabin. As a result, you're decreasing both drone and the interior volume. It may sound counter-intuitive with what you're trying to achieve, but I think it will let you hear more engine/exhaust noise from the outside instead of having it piped in.

That said, I'm not exactly sure if that's what you want. You're looking for more interior noise / aural bliss (), and plugging the symposer won't help with that.