Another cooling fault thread...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 07:35 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Another cooling fault thread...

Doing a long road trip this week...on the interstate and I got a 'cooling system fault' yellow pop up warning. I just had the change over valves replaced for the 2nd time. I though this issue was rectified.

Now for the strange part: I noticed my analog temp gauge jump up into the 220+ range...hold there for a second or so, and then drop back down under 200. It did this a few times. The digital gauge was lagging behind the analog and was reading in the 216-220'ish range.

I was cruising down the interstate when this happened, so I was trying to drive and monitor the analog gauge. After those initial incidences, the gauge was rock steady at under 200 degrees.

Thoughts?

I will be bringing it back in to the dealer when we return from our trip as long as it doesn't continue to act up, then I will have to find a dealer in our area.

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2015, 07:59 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
The 194 reading is a false idiot light It is meaningless as it will show if the car is operating within a temp range which is probably 190 to 220. It the car exceeds the norm it will suddenly jump up. When back in norm range it will drop

You may have air in your cooling system.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:03 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks rnl. The analog gauge was going up suddenly, not the digital 'idiot' gauge. That would follow a few seconds later. But the analog gauge was up and down for those few times.

Drove it for over 5.5 hours today and didn't have one error message or didn't see the analog gauge fluctuate at all...

OK, thanks, I will have the dealer check it out for possible air in the system.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:47 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest
Thanks rnl. The analog gauge was going up suddenly, not the digital 'idiot' gauge. That would follow a few seconds later. But the analog gauge was up and down for those few times. Drove it for over 5.5 hours today and didn't have one error message or didn't see the analog gauge fluctuate at all... OK, thanks, I will have the dealer check it out for possible air in the system.
Yes. The needle will jump and will not gradually rise as it is an "idiot light gauge".

Old 05-24-2015, 07:50 PM
rnl
Originally Posted by rnl
Yes. The needle will jump and will not gradually rise as it is an "idiot light gauge".
...also the car has recorded the fault and it can be retrieved. When my car was new it showed the actual coolant temp. After an "update" it was locked at 194f when warmed up no matter how hard it was driven or how high the ambient temperature

Old 05-24-2015, 07:54 PM
OK, I think I'm picking up what you are laying down now. The actual analog gauge is an idiot light gauge in conjunction with the digital gauge. Got it.

OK, cool. Glad that it will be stored. Wish it showed the actual temp...it would be much more useful that way! Geez! I'd like to see if they could 'reset' it somehow to do what yours did when new.

Thanks very much for the info!

Old 06-25-2015, 08:45 AM
UPDATE: car is at the dealer. They just called. The thermostat is being replaced. Going to overnight one in from Atlanta and replace it tomorrow. (It's also in for a few minor rattles/etc.)

I will keep all posted as to whether or not I receive any more cooling system fault warning lights.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:21 AM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
dealer doesn't have a thermostat in stock

Old 06-25-2015, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by barncobob

LOL! I guess not!

Old 06-25-2015, 02:29 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
I guess dealers do not keep a lot of parts in stock and have to order it from Germany. When my alternator went, my dealer did not have that in stock either and had to order from Germany. Maybe that is why the prices are so high.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:51 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
I guess dealers do not keep a lot of parts in stock and have to order it from Germany. When my alternator went, my dealer did not have that in stock either and had to order from Germany. Maybe that is why the prices are so high.
Actually, there are two East-Coast parts distribution centers - in PA and GA. Of the two, the GA warehouse is the larger. I've visited the one in PA (it's also a Porsche mechanics training facility), and it was impressive to say the least! I was also told by the warehouse manager that the philosophy is that all of the dealers will maintain mostly "consumables" and order anything else. The location of the distribution centers is based on a no more than 1-2 day truck proximity to regional concentration of dealerships (and these warehouses only service P-car dealers, no independents!). Yes, sometimes the part is just not available in US so will come from Germany. But I actually saw crated replacement engines, frames, full chassis components, and millions of the "smaller" stuff stacked 20' high in the warehouse.... Oh, and they had a special "caged" area under tight security where all the lifestyle goodies, scale models, bicycles, and other stuff are kept. It was like Santa's Workshop in there!

Old 06-26-2015, 10:58 AM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
Im sure Porsche isn't picking up the "next day delivery" $$$

Old 06-26-2015, 01:06 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Im sure Porsche isn't picking up the "next day delivery" $$$
Actually, the strategy is to have the parts on a truck and delivered to the dealer within 1-2 days, to eliminate the cost and dependency on commercial delivery services (this is what I was told the strategy is as to where these distribution centers are located). This has nothing to do with whether they will need to ship to a dealership that is beyond the 1-2 day range. I believe states like FL don't have a distribution point like GA or PA, so any parts would be UPS'd at Porsche's cost. Also, in a service situation like that they don't charge the owner of the car for their parts acquisition.... that cost is "baked into" the labor and parts cost.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:23 PM
Car still in...they received the t-stat, but forgot to order a gasket for it! Doh! Oh well, in a nice Cayenne loaner for the weekend...

Old 06-27-2015, 05:01 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
D'oh. Hope you get it back soon.

What is rhe theory behind the weird temp gauge(s) rationale? Can we just not handle the truth?