996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

1st Porsche - 1st Post (SAI Pump Removal)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 09:22 PM
DOPE_996tt is on a distinguished road
1st Porsche - 1st Post (SAI Pump Removal)

I decided to pull the trigger on a 2002 996 Turbo (tip) a couple of weeks ago. I have been having been enjoying it way too much, and its time to get to business as far as maintenance.

I already changed the oil, fuel filter, air filter, cabin filter, and turbo check valves (leaking a bit when I bought the car). Its time for an engine out..... I got a water pump, thermostat, coolant hoses (all), billet weld on coolant plugs, induction piping (all), spark plugs, and related gaskets. Anything that I am missing here, beside hardware?

My question is: I am pretty sure the secondary air pump is going to fail any minute, and the valve is at least faulty if not completely broken. I would like to remove as much of this as possible and clean things up. I am having a hell of time finding block off plates. Anyone have a good source?

I have sleuthed the sight using the search tool for a weak and cannot find a conclusive DIY on this process. So I guess I will photograph the process and post it. That said, in an effort to present correct information - I need help with verifying the connection of the 2-3 vac lines that need to be connected.

Moving on to the ECU re-flash, what is really the best option? I have been looking at the Cobb tuner.... but I know very little about it, or even if it is capable of facilitating the required re-flash.

PS - I am too stupid to take the car to a professional to have the work done. I have a lift and enough tools to feel like a Nascar mechanic. So in the end, I am looking for any help from the guys that are not afraid to work on their cars. Thanks again in advance, I am excited to learn the genius behind these fine automobiles.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:31 AM
Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !
Congrats on your new purchase. The best way to learn is to dig right in, sounds like you have that covered. Consider installing new coils while doing the plugs if you don't know how old yours are.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:58 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Most shops just make the plates from .018 sheetmetal and gasket sealer

Silly rabbit motorsport and cobb tuner is a great combo

Old 04-13-2016, 09:15 AM
Evan5469 is on a distinguished road
I'd recommend replacing the coils while you're at it, and a brake fluid change would be a good idea depending on its age. Also, zip tie all the vacuum lines while the engine is out as good measure to prevent leaks once it's back in the car.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:05 PM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Nice to see another local owner! Welcome.

For people that have deleted the SAI system, do you delete the CEL through a tune or does it not trigger one?

Old 04-13-2016, 05:27 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SeattleTurbo

For people that have deleted the SAI system, do you delete the CEL through a tune or does it not trigger one?
i dont have any lights but im on standalone and everything else so i cant help with that question

Old 04-13-2016, 05:32 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SeattleTurbo

I'm sure you can get your tuner to cancel out the CEL light but your car won't pass readiness. Many states now require all readiness codes be met or you won't pass emissions. Not sure why people have such hate for the SAI pump, it's very light and only functions for 30 seconds or so on cold start up. It doesn't rob any power.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:46 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
I'm sure you can get your tuner to cancel out the CEL light but your car won't pass readiness. Many states now require all readiness codes be met or you won't pass emissions. Not sure why people have such hate for the SAI pump, it's very light and only functions for 30 seconds or so on cold start up. It doesn't rob any power.
i have a super secret file to past emissions! main reason for deleting the sai is to cut down on vacuum lines and ease access to the pass side of the motor

Old 04-13-2016, 07:23 PM
Thanks for all the great information. It was quite a surprise to get home from work and see so much activity.

If you haven't already figured it out, this car was a little rough. It's the only way that I buy things. I have found that driving something almost perfect means I worry about it. I wanted the challenge of fixing this car up, driving it daily, and auto-X'n as much as my tire budget allows.

I will get some coil packs (Great idea) and the brake flush never hurts. Although within the next month or so I am going to have to replace all the rotors, pads, and lines. Regardless, that's on the short list. I also thought I should grab a filter and trans fluid, for a dreaded transmission fluid change. (I cant understand how if you measure what comes out, and replace with the exact amount - how you can't be pretty close during testing)

I am sure that I can scab together some block off plates, I was just trying to keep it simple. Although I worked in machine shop in college, so I guess in the end its still pretty simple. All this is really because I don't want to spend $1k on SAI, valve, and who knows what else is bad. Especially if it is not critical to engine function. In previous automotive projects, I have found that having the least amount of parts and simplest design always works pretty well. Although me being cheap, might bite me in the a** in the end.

I am going to compile a post a little later tonight, with all the information that I found on which vacuum lines to delete. I would appreciate your guys input, once complete.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:31 PM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
I don't hate it, but I see it as a place for potential problems.. You are right though, it is not something that does any harm so as long as it functions I shall not touch it... I was wondering more along the lines of what if it goes bad, would deleting it rather than replacing be a viable option.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:41 PM
Honestly, this is the root of my question also. Spend the money to replace the SIA and related components, or just delete it. I am not worried about a readiness check, as stupid as that sounds.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:42 PM
Irish222222 is on a distinguished road
Bringing back an old thread. I have an 04 C4S. Anyone know if you can just remove the pump and plug the one tube, rather than remove everything and put on block-off plates? Asking because I just want to remove the pump, because it's in the way of my supercharger, and don't want to deal with the hassle of removing everything else. Thanks!