996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Radio head unit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 05:22 AM
Wausau 911 is on a distinguished road
Radio head unit?

I have an '04 CDR23, with the Bose sound system. Is it possible to replace just the head unit? Went to BestBuy and they have MOSFET units but I was told that I cannot simply replace with a plug&play unit. Is this true? Comments appreciated.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:16 AM
adamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the rough
This is true. Do some research here on the boards...there is a lot of info on stereo upgrade detail that you can consume.

And go to a trusted premier stereo shop - I wouldn't trust a kid at best buy doing anything to a Porsche.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:17 AM
oldsock is on a distinguished road
I too have the CDR23, and it sucks! You can't seem to do anything with these units without spending a bunch of money. I just want to add a simple aux input to mine and it looks like I have to spend around $500 for just the parts to be able to do that.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:14 AM
Wausau 911 is on a distinguished road
If you want an aux input, you can have Becker sound install a connector thru the FM (FM shuts down when a male jack is put in). It does produce only Mono though but with the engine noise it doesn't really matter. I installed the female input in one of the dummy switches. Looks factory. Becker charges $100 plus shipping and the unit is returned within one week or less.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:21 AM
NIKAS is on a distinguished road
For AUX-Input (ipod/smartphone/Pandora) on Becker CDR220:

On the older Porsche factory Becker CDR220, you can manually enable the AUX-Input function in the radio if it's not already listed as a "source option" when you toggle through the "S" menu. To enable AUX-IN on the radio, press and hold "TP" button until display reads "BECKER1". Then using the right radio ****, scroll through the pages until you see AUX-IN and select "enable". If you have a pre-existing CD changer under the bonnet, you will already have this option enabled. If you don't have a CD changer and don't want one, the solution is easy: buy a male 8-pin "Blaupunkt" AUX-In cable on Ebay for about six bucks (see image). You'll need radio removal keys for another $5-10 bucks if you don't have them already. Remove radio, plug in AUX cable into empty slot, replace radio. Then you can plug in a little "shuffle" for commercial-free music, or your smart phone and stream your favorite radio/Pandora etc, using the device's pre-amp. It sounds way better than regular radio. Total cost is about $15. The Porsche cabling is compatible with the Blaupunkt/European radio standards, and there are lots of adapter kits available if you want to install another head unit. Do a search, there are 6speeders putting all kinds of things in there, from double DINS to ipad minis. I was going to do the same, but now I'm pretty happy with the line in ability, and stream music through my smart phone.

Last edited by NIKAS; 06-17-2013 at 09:28 AM. Reason: adding picture
Old 06-17-2013, 11:40 AM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
Only 2002 (and below I think) was electrical on the input. Thus cannot use that adapter above.

I put a Motorola TK30 on mine. Works great for streaming. Tough break on having a MOST version.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:07 PM
NIKAS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by B8_RDC
Only 2002 (and below I think) was electrical on the input. Thus cannot use that adapter above.

I put a Motorola TK30 on mine. Works great for streaming. Tough break on having a MOST version.
Sorry if that wasn't clear...that jack is only for pre-MY02 Boxster and 911 Becker head units. It will not work with the fibre optic MOST head units. Only options there seem to be shelling out the $450-600 or using a scratchy FM modulator.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:13 AM
nymart is on a distinguished road
Pioneer DEH-X8500BH - ~$160 (certainly not stock but you are able to color match the led)
Alpine MR-V70 5 channel Amp - ~$260
Assorted stuff for install ~$50
The install is easy and you can use the stock Bose speakers (at least for the time being).

Old 07-03-2013, 06:30 PM
C4inDFW is on a distinguished road
Not to Bogart this thread, but i too am looking for the best HU. I have a base model and can do either single or double din, with no preference. Ive looked at Pioneer, Kenwood and Alpine. I dont believe theres a clear cut winner, unless you guys tell me otherwise.

Base unit meaning i dont have door speakers, sub, etc, but do have the CD changer. Driving a cab so dont care av about BT. Really enjoy HD radio.

Whats your input?..

Old 07-03-2013, 06:36 PM
PoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura about
IMO, it comes down to what features you want and how much you are willing to spend. I have a Kenwood head unit and love it if that helps at all. I have reverse camera, Bluetooth and WISHED I got the iPod cord. That's my two cents and I hope it helps.