996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

leaking rms, what should I do

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 04:46 PM
Ednorton57 is on a distinguished road
leaking rms, what should I do

Help,

I have a 2001 cabriolet with 80 k, porsche replaced the motor at 20K. I bought this from a friend of mine and it has been kept in perfect shape.
I took the car in to a local independant I have used for years and he noticed a small leak that appeared to be coming from the RMS. I had him pull the engine out to replace the RMS and check the IMS as well.

He just called and told me he did some measurement around the crank and it appears to him that the crank is not spinning true. This thing runs perfect,
could he be right. A little advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Larry

Old 07-10-2014, 09:04 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
He pulled the engine to check the RMS.....wow, get a new mechanic.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:54 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
That's what I was thinking too. Welcome to the group. Now that your engine is out, have him (if he can) fix whatever is going on. Fortunately, I have a dealer that I trust implicitly so I don't have to experiment with over-zealous indie's.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:28 PM
Ednorton57 is on a distinguished road
Thanks,Bad information, oil seal has a flaw, crank spins true, changing it all now back to the grind
Larry

Old 07-11-2014, 06:25 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Ditto....

Originally Posted by B8_RDC
He pulled the engine to check the RMS.....wow, get a new mechanic.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:26 AM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
You let him remove the engine for a slight oil leak? Now you are 'at his mercy' for anything that he may tell you needs replacing or fixing.Keep in mind that people think (Including Indies) because we own a Porsche that 'we are made of money'.. People that own a 996 are certainly not or they would own a 2014 GT3 .. That's why most on this board are DIY guys. Good luck. I guess this is going to cost you a few thousand dollars. I wonder where this will end. Keep us informed.

Last edited by Hurdigurdiman; 07-11-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:44 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
People that own a 996 are certainly not or they would own a 2014 GT3 .. That's why most on this board are DIY guys.
That's the opinion of people - without money. Those with money, don't spend it everytime something new comes out. The secret to having money (I'm an expert ) is NOT spending it. And, I don't DIY - becasue I don't have to.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:09 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by denversteve
That's the opinion of people - without money. Those with money, don't spend it everytime something new comes out. The secret to having money (I'm an expert ) is NOT spending it. And, I don't DIY - becasue I don't have to.

Ditto! I too DIY whatever I can and its primarily for the satisfaction of doing it and knowing its done right...great therapy And of course its also cause I am a cheap ba$tard....