997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

IPD plenum is installed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:29 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
IPD plenum is installed!

Here are a few pictures of the IPD plenum pre-install

Cast metal

Looking inside, painted and designed with efficient airflow in mind

Compare that with the OEM plastic plenum

Not designed for airflow efficiency

The view of the inside from the top

Close up of my engine compartment with the OEM plenum removed

Engine compartment without OEM plenum

New IPD pleum in place. Notice that the cast metal matches the intake manifold too

Another view of IPD plenum

It took Cantrell Motorsport about 2.5 hours to install the plenum which should be pretty standard for tuner shops everywhere if they know what they're doing.

My initial impressions although done before the ECU has had a chance to relearn the new parameters of the airflow efficiency brought on by the new plenum from IPD/RSS is very good. From a standstill, there's a noticable reduction in turbo lag when moving from a standstill. The engine seems to be slightly more eager to get up to speed. Bottom line is, I'm very happy with this modification and will definitely recommend anyone considering this mod to go ahead and get it. I have no plans to do a dyno at this time since I didn't have a chance to do a pre-dyno test. I should be able to compare stock vs modified soon if Larry gives me the opportunity to do so. I'll give a final report after the ECU has had a chance to adapt.

Last edited by atomic80; 03-04-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:10 PM
whyb2nd is on a distinguished road
excellent, look forward to your comments after ecu relearn.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:30 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Awesome Jason. The piece looks very well built. I have been waiting for your post. I hope to read more about it as it learns. I am sure that you will give us an honest opinion of what you feel.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:35 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
I am sure that you will give us an honest opinion of what you feel.
Count on it...my honest and unbiased opinion.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:34 AM
TurboBill is on a distinguished road
Jason, continuing on the topic we discussed on the other board, I am really interested in getting your impression of the Plenum over the next 100 or so miles. Your initial, out of the box, experience is the exact same as mine was, but I am very curious about the concept of the ECU taking serious time to "learn" the new mod.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:54 AM
Bill, count on it, once I've had a chance to drive the Turbo a bit more. I'm glad to see that we're both on the right track.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Banned
RSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond repute
IPD Feedback

Greetings 6 Speeders,

Jason, thanks for such a comprehensive thread. It's always nice to see customers delivering on their word that they will put up a "constructive" post. I'm glad to hear that your initial impressions are positive. We've sold over 65 997 Turbo plenums to date and we have had nothing but rave reviews thus far. Unlike the 996 Turbo, which adapts immediately, the 997 Turbo requires almost 50 miles to fully and completely adapt. It also appears that cars with additional mods are realizing greater horsepower gains than stock Turbos.

We just received the dyno chart below from a customer with a EVT 700 Big Power Kit. It also demonstrates how effective the plenum can be with extensive modifications.

Jason, thanks again for all your contributions and taking the time to post this thread. It's always a pleasure working together with customers like yourself.

Cheers,
Greg

Old 02-28-2008, 07:30 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Looks great and thanks for posting the pics. I have some questions :

1) Engine space looks tight with my Werks1 . Can this fit ?
2) Atomic (Jason) --Is your ECU "stocK". Also if not is re flashing necessary ?
3) Labor hours were presented in your post . Cost of the part (approx) ?
4) Did you add intercoolers ? What type of intake are you running with it? I have the Evo intercoolers on mine .
Thanks in advance

Last edited by yrralis1; 02-28-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm not sure if the plenum will fit with your Werks1 intake but it's pretty far within the engine compartment so it should. Yes, my ECU is stock. I'm still waiting for a good solution to come out. REVO, GIAC, Protomotive, etc. I want to go with a setup that has been optimized to use the plenum. Perhaps Greg could chime in on that. I'll let Greg answer the pricing question too. And finally, no, I'm not running any aftermarket intercoolers nor intakes.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:03 AM
toffeGT2 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the write up.... I am seriously consider getting one now.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:19 AM
DSUNNYM1 will become famous soon enough
Will this part void any warranty??

Old 02-29-2008, 12:26 PM
jonathan@millaracing is on a distinguished road
Jason
looks great.

The IPD intake plenums are big sellers because they are simple and very effective

Old 02-29-2008, 12:31 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DSUNNYM1
Will this part void any warranty??
As with any aftermarket part the dealer may see this as an excuse to give you all kinds of grief for issues that may, despite how remote they may seem, be related to the installation of this part.

I would think the chances of anything happening are highly unlikely.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:09 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Talking

Originally Posted by gmoney
As with any aftermarket part the dealer may see this as an excuse to give you all kinds of grief for issues that may, despite how remote they may seem, be related to the installation of this part.

I would think the chances of anything happening are highly unlikely.
You know...I just don't get it. I installed this upgraded turbocharger in my 997TT, and the service manager came out to me in the waiting room and said my warranty would be voided.

Attached Images  
Old 02-29-2008, 03:36 PM
ZEMDOGG is on a distinguished road
bbywu, why so small?

I would think if you were going to upgrade you would at least want more than 10,000 horsepower! lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: IPD plenum is installed!