997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Lowering 997 with factory aero package...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Doug L. is on a distinguished road
Lowering 997 with factory aero package...

Has anyone on this forum lowered a 997 with the factory aero package? I bought a 997 S with the aero package. I would like to lower it 1.5 to 2 inches, but have real concerns about this causing major issues with the front spoiler. It scrubs a little now on steep drives. I do not want to make the car undrivable, but would really like to get rid of the fender well gap with the current factory ride height.

Please let me know if any of you have lowered your car with the aero package. I would like to hear if any of you have done so with regrets. Thanks a bunch!

Old 05-21-2012, 02:55 PM
C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !
I'm already lowered with just springs, but I'm dying for the aero package on the front. I'm hoping it doesn't cause too many issues also. The nose is out there a bit...

Old 05-21-2012, 03:21 PM
neotorque will become famous soon enoughneotorque will become famous soon enough
My car is lowered on the Porsche Euro Sport springs (not sure about the exact height) and has the factory aerokit front bumper. It scrapes, but it is manageable, particularly since I added a protrim strip to the bottom of the lip, which absorbs all the damage.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:37 PM
C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !
couple of questions for ya, neotorque. where did you purchase the protrim strip and how much? how does it attach? also, what was the cost to paint and install the front end? i know the purchase price, but i'm curious of the remaining expenses. i think that is such a huge improvement for the car. got any pics you might post here - not to hijack doug's thread necessarily. just want to see your car in a bigger pic. looks great in the avatar!! thanks.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:44 PM
I am interested to know where to source a "pro trim" strip also. My front spoiler was replaced by the Porsche dealership I bought it from just before my purchase. I would like to install this strip if it would make the spoiler last longer. Brumos Porsche tells me they sell quite a few of these as they do "hang out" there and are easily damaged.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:14 PM
neotorque will become famous soon enoughneotorque will become famous soon enough
Sure, I've posted about the ProTrim strip before (http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...oiler-lip.html), but it's just an extruded rubber strip that attaches to the buttom of the front lip. I actually think it looks better since it adds an extra curve in the lip and just makes it look meaner: like a mini-version of the GT2RS extender. (See attached pics)

My bodyshop (Los Gatos Collision) hooked me up with Pro Trim when I got the aerokit installed. For two strips, one installed, and one backup, it was about $85-100 if I recall correctly, and it works wonders. I had the lip on for about a month before I added it and it was already scraped to hell. Since then, there's been nothing, it even covered up the pre-existing damage. And even if the strip frays a bit, it wouldn't be noticeable since it is color matched to the car. (My understanding is that they have them in all colors). It's now been close to 6 months and I haven't even needed to swap out for my backup strip. I'm sure I would have needed a new lip by now without it, since I go over a lot of driveways and speedbumps.

As far as paint and install, I think the total was close to $1,000 (this covers the bumper and the spoiler lip), but I went through my dealership and their bodyshop, so I paid top dollar, I'm sure. It's well worth it - the paint is a perfect match and it totally transforms the car.

Another option is the GT3 lip, but I like having it color-matched as opposed to black, and I think that has a lot of the similar wear and tear issues as the aerokit lip, though they're less noticeable because it's in black.

Attached Images   
Old 05-21-2012, 05:48 PM
looks fantastic, neo. thanks so much for all the info. i think the aero nose is a huge improvement and looks so much sportier.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:49 PM
I called Protrim in CA and the gentleman I spoke with said he really does not sell the material to the public. So, he gave me his supplier's phone number and the part number. The manufacturer of this product is in OH and I intend to call them tomorrow to see about ordering some of this material. Once I get it all figured out, I will post the information. It appears that this is a door edge molding made by a major OEM automotive supplier. This appears to be a cheap solution to replacing Porsche spoilers. I cannot wait to try it out.

This may be the solution to lowering my car! Many thanks to Neotorque for sharing this with us!

Old 05-21-2012, 06:11 PM
PorscheJoe will become famous soon enough
I'm definitely interested in finding out more info as well. Please keep us poster Doug.
Thanks to you & Neotorque for the info.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:23 PM
thanks Doug. definitely keep us up to date. an aero front end is definitely in my future.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:38 PM
neotorque,

What springs did you use? Your car looks really nice lowered. I am torn between H&R sport springs and their super sport springs. The sport springs lower the car on average 1.5-1.8 inches while the super sports lower the car 1.75-2.3 inches. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Old 05-21-2012, 09:37 PM
I do not see you photos???

Old 05-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Doug,

Glad to hear you hooked up with them. I think you'll be really thrilled with the product. Besides the $ savings, which are considerable, it really looks better and resists damage much better than the stock option.

I have the OEM Euro Sport suspension. I've read that lowers it 20 mm in front and 10 in the rear, but honestly, it was on when I bought the car, and I didn't even know I had it until my dealer inspected the car and let me know. I know, I know, I should know this stuff, but I pretty much just focus on the way it goes when I step on that pedal...

Old 05-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Does that not bring the ride height to the same as an 'S' car with PASM/SC?

Originally Posted by neotorque
Doug,

Glad to hear you hooked up with them. I think you'll be really thrilled with the product. Besides the $ savings, which are considerable, it really looks better and resists damage much better than the stock option.

I have the OEM Euro Sport suspension. I've read that lowers it 20 mm in front and 10 in the rear, but honestly, it was on when I bought the car, and I didn't even know I had it until my dealer inspected the car and let me know. I know, I know, I should know this stuff, but I pretty much just focus on the way it goes when I step on that pedal...

Old 05-22-2012, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Does that not bring the ride height to the same as an 'S' car with PASM/SC?
I don't know ... but that would make sense, I suppose. Someone here must know that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lowering 997 with factory aero package...