930 intercooler, exhaust, and intake question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 07:59 PM
LEADSLINGER7 is on a distinguished road
930 intercooler, exhaust, and intake question

As with most 930 owners, I have the itch to add a few mods to my car. I am looking for an intercooler, headers, muffler, air intake, etc and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I keep coming back to Fabspeed, but I am not biting as of yet. I also have a question as to the wastegate. Is this something I should also look at replacing and if so, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, J

Old 11-22-2011, 08:26 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LEADSLINGER7
As with most 930 owners, I have the itch to add a few mods to my car. I am looking for an intercooler, headers, muffler, air intake, etc and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I keep coming back to Fabspeed, but I am not biting as of yet. I also have a question as to the wastegate. Is this something I should also look at replacing and if so, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, J
Tial, with a 1 bar spring. We're literally neighbors. We should get together and talk shop. I'm interested in doing the same. I think Fabspeed has the best products available for modifying a 930. These guys are pretty reputable.

http://www.rarelyl8.com/index.html
http://www.turbokraft.com/catalog/index.php

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 11-22-2011 at 10:32 PM. Reason: active link to a commercial non-sponsor
Old 11-23-2011, 07:33 AM
CaptainCalf will become famous soon enough
I went with GSF IC, TiAL WGs and Rarlyl8 headers & GT3 Muffler setup:

Attached Images      
Old 11-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CaptainCalf
I went with GSF IC, TiAL WGs and Rarlyl8 headers & GT3 Muffler setup:
Captain, that center outlet is going to be bad assss. Are you just going to run a straight pipe directly from the turbo? The Muffler you had pictured allows for a passenger side dump. The Zork Tube we offer allows for a center dump below the stock valence, but since you already have the piece cut, the Zork might work best and you can customize tips to fit.

Leadslinger and 9eleven we have all products in stock for your 930's. Our mufflers will fit the stock turbo and the K27 if you have that installed, here's a video of our '87 Slant with the products installed:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fabspeed...13/fPg92WBcy-8

Old 11-23-2011, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by Joey@fabspeed
Captain, that center outlet is going to be bad assss. Are you just going to run a straight pipe directly from the turbo? The Muffler you had pictured allows for a passenger side dump. The Zork Tube we offer allows for a center dump below the stock valence, but since you already have the piece cut, the Zork might work best and you can customize tips to fit.

Leadslinger and 9eleven we have all products in stock for your 930's. Our mufflers will fit the stock turbo and the K27 if you have that installed, here's a video of our '87 Slant with the products installed:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fabspeed...13/fPg92WBcy-8
Thanks Joey, here's what the whole setup looks like:

Attached Images  
Old 11-23-2011, 04:11 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CaptainCalf
Thanks Joey, here's what the whole setup looks like:
Wow! That looks sick! What turbo are you using and why are there 2 wastegates? Is that because of the exhaust? How much horsepower do you think you are producing at the crank?

Last edited by 9Eleven; 11-23-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Wow! That looks sick! What turbo are you using and why are there 2 wastegates? Is that because of the exhaust? How much horsepower do you think you are producing at the crank?
Thanks!

I decided to go with the Garrett GT3582R twin scroll matched with true split headers, so 2 waste gates are needed...one for each bank.

Shooting for 500 at the wheels

Attached Images      
Old 11-23-2011, 09:08 PM
How are you getting enough fuel? Did you switch over to an EFI system? Give us the entire story. I may follow your footsteps. Clutch, engine work......

Old 11-24-2011, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
How are you getting enough fuel? Did you switch over to an EFI system? Give us the entire story. I may follow your footsteps. Clutch, engine work......
Yep, out with the old CIS and in with EFI...you can find the details here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...version-9.html

Old 11-24-2011, 07:39 AM
Happy Thanksgiving all. Not sure I am ready for a CaptainCalf conversion just yet or at least I know my pocketbook couldn't handle it. I don't plan on tracking my car either, just a well respected performance street car. I have looked at Fabspeed, Rarelyl8, and Turbokraft. Not sure if I want to go with one shop for all my parts or mix it up. I like Fabspeeds dual tip dual out muffler setup, but am pretty open to the remaining components. 9Eleven, we will have to get together. I was hoping to head up to Fabspeed sometime next spring or so as it is a short drive for me and a good reason to get the car out. I am sure Joey and Alex wouldn't mind the business.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:42 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
FS stuff is good, also check out the rarely8 IC, love the way it bolts right on preserving the stock recirc system.
I have exhaust, 1 bar spring and andial IC. I might go with a k27 later. That's about it....

Old 11-27-2011, 09:05 AM
TT Surgeon, did you end up changing out your wastegate all together or did you just replace the spring to a 1 bar? I am fairly sold on Fabspeed, but am biding my time before I drop $6K on a intercooler, headers, dual out/dual tip muffler, and air intake. Not sure if I should keep the stock wastegate or go with a new Tial. I also have a black slant which I want to keep pretty simple. Thanks Chris, Jason

Old 11-27-2011, 05:55 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I just added a 1 spring to the stocker.
maybe fs would do a group buy on the ICs?

Old 11-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Daley88930 is on a distinguished road
Something I have discovered after owning the car for 10yrs. It was a track car so it came with the old Garretson IC, probably a K27, with a new at the time wastegate, headers, and a lowered and modified suspension (that just does not scrape in normal circumstances)when I had it rebuilt Prototech built a stainless muffler with a 4 inch single outlet, but , it looks like the Fabspeed and I just put on the cold air induction kit from Fabspeed. The car is very fast..no matter who tries it does not get beat and in most cases no one tries. i have rejected EFI since then it is becoming something that never was.. same thing with the bigger wheels and tires--the stock setup is a blast to drive and very nimble..just keep replacing the tires if you can find new ones. I vote for slight mods and big enjoyment... just my 2cents

Old 11-29-2011, 04:43 PM
DaBrat will become famous soon enough
Going through the same thing myself. Nothing is installed onto my car yet, so I can't give a review. Intercooler, I went TurboKraft. Air Intake, I went with Gruppe M. Exhaust System, I went B&B. Wastegate, TiAL 1 Bar. Suspension, Elephant Racing Bilstein Sport. Turbocharger, Garrett GT35R. Feel free to give me ideas too!!! Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 930 intercooler, exhaust, and intake question